News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on February 28, 2017, 07:14:17 PMI fail to see how the age of the gantry affects how much revenue it would ordinarily collect.
The erection of that AET gantry last year coincided with a toll increase (more than just doubling the westbound toll, no surprise to most people here) as well as a conversion of a portion of the PA Turnpike from the ticketed system to a somewhat free highway between the under-construction I-95 interchange the bridge. 

One has to wonder had this bridge closure occurred prior to the AET conversion/toll increase; would PTC's financial hit been lower or higher in terms of dollar amounts.

I'd also be more curious to know if the number of westbound trips dropped within the past year due to PTC's toll rates being higher (for cash customers) than what the DRPA was charging further south for their crossings. 

Prior to the AET conversion, I used the Turnpike Connector & bridge (I would exit off at the US 13 exit just beyond the PA Turnpike toll plaza & bridge) for just about all my return trips from New England due to the cheaper overall toll (NJ Turnpike toll + PA Turnpike toll).  Today, I normally use I-195/295/76 to get back to I-95 in PA.  A few times, I've used NJ 29 to US 1 to I-95 but not too often.  Going all the way around via I-295 North to I-95 South and crossing at the still-free Scudder Falls Bridge usually takes longer.

Quote from: vdeane on February 28, 2017, 07:14:17 PMOf course, the toll rates on the PTC are obscenely high, so that could be a factor, but not one that was mentioned.
That was precisely why I mentioned earlier that the bridge closure would financially hurt the PTC more than the NJ Turnpike Authority.  The bridge closure occurring just about a year after the high AET rate taking effect almost a sense of Karma to it.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 01, 2017, 09:57:21 AM

I'd also be more curious to know if the number of westbound trips dropped within the past year due to PTC's toll rates being higher (for cash customers) than what the DRPA was charging further south for their crossings. 

The DRPA's 2016 annual report isn't posted yet, but if last year was any indication it should be posted sometime this month.  FWIW, toll collection increased 3.36% in 2015 compared to 2014, and 1.16% in 2014 compared to 2013.

The makeup of the travelers going from NJ to PA on the Turnpikes would seem to indicate that most of those people would not benefit at all from travelling across a DRPA bridge, as it would lead to longer travel times and mileage.

I would be interested in knowing how the PA Turnpike is doing collecting from toll-by-plate motorists...many of whom get a bill and probably think that they already paid a toll on the PA Turnpike, not realizing there's a separate toll area they went thru.  If they fail to pay 1 toll, I doubt the PA Turnpike will go after them all that much.  That also brings up...collection expenses for such toll must be down, since they don't have to mail out those bills.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2017, 10:18:23 AMThe makeup of the travelers going from NJ to PA on the Turnpikes would seem to indicate that most of those people would not benefit at all from travelling across a DRPA bridge, as it would lead to longer travel times and mileage.
That would depend on one's destination. 

If it's Bucks County or further west; no regarding using the DRPA bridges as an alternate. 

If it's Center City/South Philadelphia or Delaware County (I fall in the latter); using one of the DPRA bridges becomes a credible alternative.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 01, 2017, 10:33:51 AM
If it's Center City/South Philadelphia or Delaware County (I fall in the latter); using one of the DPRA bridges becomes a credible alternative.

For most people, that should be the way they should have been going all along then...especially as they didn't have the ability to connect directly with 95.

For many people, something like this incident opens their eyes to a new, better main route to their destination.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2017, 10:58:39 AM
Allow me to give you a real-world, real-life, personal-usage synopsis (since mid-1990):

Back when there was 2-way tolling for all tolled Delaware river crossings (through much of the early 1990s); I always used the Turnpike Connector bridge for my trips to & from New England.  Keep in mind that back then, I-295 still had a gap in it between Exit 57 (US 130/206) & I-195 (Exit 60) and the NJ Turnpike Exit 7 upgrade project was still under construction.

Heading north, I exited I-95 at PA 413 (Exit 40, then Exit 26); followed 413 South to US 13/Bristol Pike and took US 13 North to the PA Turnpike at the Delaware Valley interchange (Exit 358, then Exit 29).  Back then, the mainline NJ Turnpike Exit 6 plaza was located closer to the bridge; such was relocated further east when the full-movement US 130 interchange was built.  I used the above in reverse for my return trips home.

When one-way tolls across the Delaware became reality; I pretty much abandoned using the Turnpike Connector Bridge for my New England-bound trips.  I used I-295 North to Exit 56 and got on the NJ Turnpike at the then-newly-completed Exit 7.  When the missing I-295 link was opened (circa 1994(?)); I used I-195 East between there and the NJ Turnpike just about everytime since then.  However, for the journey home; I still used the Turnpike Connector bridge whenever I was working at my firm's Philadelphia office.  When I worked at its branch office in Pennsauken, NJ for a few years; I purchased a DRPA commuter sticker (that offered a discounted toll rate), only then did I use I-295 South to I-76 West to pick up I-95.

When I first got E-ZPass circa 2001; even though I was working in Philly, the DRPA still offered a discount for all E-ZPass users/accounts regardless of how many times per month one crossed into PA.  As a result, I stopped using the Turnpike Connector bridge for a few years. 

I started using it (Turnpike Connector bridge) again for New England-bound trips when the DRPA restricted its discounted toll rates to only those who used the crossing more than 25(?) times per month.  Since I lived & worked in PA then & now; I wasn't crossing the Delaware enough times a month to get the discount.

When I learned of the new AET rate over a year ago (& commented on such on this forum); I stopped using the bridge for westbound crossings ever since.  I only used the free eastbound crossing once last year when I had to stop at Bucks County for something prior to my heading to New England.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Wow I see NJTA did almost follow the new MUTCD completely here. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7146882,-74.0550897,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfXI9yUwQ1SLOlb_ZoeBaMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
Except for the "Holland Tunnel" its all there as "Jersey City" omitted due to the street name/ destination ruling, but glad Grand Street was removed as that exit never went there directly.  Also glad I-78 is now signed on the pull through.

Love the speed limit sign, though, going the opposite way. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7146882,-74.0550897,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfXI9yUwQ1SLOlb_ZoeBaMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mergingtraffic

So I'm guessing all of the button copy on the NJ Tpke is now gone?

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

storm2k

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 06, 2017, 05:37:59 PM
So I'm guessing all of the button copy on the NJ Tpke is now gone?

Almost all gone. The Exit 9 one is definitely history. This guy is holding on, but likely not for long.

Roadgeek Adam

The 440 shield under that is as interesting.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

DrSmith

It is also interesting that the US 1 and US 22 shields on that Exit 14 sign are not cutouts but are squares that have a green background

storm2k

Quote from: DrSmith on March 09, 2017, 06:44:34 PM
It is also interesting that the US 1 and US 22 shields on that Exit 14 sign are not cutouts but are squares that have a green background

You can tell that there used to be a different shield there. IIRC, it only showed US-1 for many years.

roadman65

As long as I lived there it never had US 9.  That change came later in the 1990's sometime after I moved away. 

Sheryl Crowe

J Route Z

The new exit 14 signs on the mainline turnpike omit the US 22 shields.

roadman65

Quote from: J Route Z on March 13, 2017, 11:21:39 PM
Probably a good move as US 22 is no longer the through route across Central Jersey being I-78 took over that title.  Yes its still regionally important, but not enough to warrant sign salad for.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on March 15, 2017, 09:30:32 AM
Probably a good move as US 22 is no longer the through route across Central Jersey being I-78 took over that title.  Yes its still regionally important, but not enough to warrant sign salad for.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing or something completely different, but the Mass Pike exit for I-91 also has a US 5 shield, the exit for I-290/395 also has a MA 12 shield, and the exit for I-95/MA 128 also has a MA 30 shield. (Both US 5 and MA 12 parallel the Interstates mentioned, and MA 30 parallels the Mass Pike.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

bzakharin

US 22 is also not directly accessible from exits 14-14C, so at best it should be a TO 22 (which is how it's signed after the toll plaza along with NJ 21)

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on March 15, 2017, 09:40:53 AM

I'm not sure if this is the same thing or something completely different, but the Mass Pike exit for I-91 also has a US 5 shield, the exit for I-290/395 also has a MA 12 shield, and the exit for I-95/MA 128 also has a MA 30 shield. (Both US 5 and MA 12 parallel the Interstates mentioned, and MA 30 parallels the Mass Pike.)
Apples & oranges comparison.  Those listed-Mass Pike examples involve a direct connection to the smaller/minor road within the interchanges.  In the case of the I-95/MA 128 interchange; MA 30 is only listed for the primary interchange signage along I-90 westbound and not the eastbound signage due to the latter not having a direct-connection ramp to MA 30 within the interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

The 22 shield is a holdover from the days before 78 came through. If you check the historic aerials, you'll see that the original Exit 14 ramps dumped out onto 1-9 right near the Rt 22 interchange.

NJRoadfan

The new signs on the Newark Bay Extension still show US-22 for Exit 14. Speaking of, a new mileage sign popped up on the NBE.

https://goo.gl/maps/mifMfc6RNmo

There is apparently nothing of interest in NJ on I-78 west of Newark. NJDOT's choices of Clinton and Easton didn't make the cut (Clinton was also removed from the Exit 14 signs). How much traffic is actually going to Harrisburg anyway? :P

bzakharin

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 23, 2017, 03:23:23 PM
There is apparently nothing of interest in NJ on I-78 west of Newark. NJDOT's choices of Clinton and Easton didn't make the cut (Clinton was also removed from the Exit 14 signs). How much traffic is actually going to Harrisburg anyway? :P
I can't help but think of this

ixnay

The new signs on the Newark Bay Extension still show US-22 for Exit 14. Speaking of, a new mileage sign popped up on the NBE.

Taken alongside the NBE's ex-service plazas (facing each other in best Fenwick-Barton/Wilson-Stockton/Cleveland-Edison style).  Anyone remember whose names were on those plazas?

And notice the storage truck up ahead - Moishe's.  Moishe happens to be a character in the Tim LaHaye/Jerry Jenkins Left Behind series of novels.

ixnay

Steve D

Quote from: ixnay on March 24, 2017, 07:21:11 AM

Taken alongside the NBE's ex-service plazas (facing each other in best Fenwick-Barton/Wilson-Stockton/Cleveland-Edison style).  Anyone remember whose names were on those plazas?

And notice the storage truck up ahead - Moishe's.  Moishe happens to be a character in the Tim LaHaye/Jerry Jenkins Left Behind series of novels.

ixnayu

Wikipedia says the names were John Stevens and Peter Stuyvesant, and I seem to remember that from reading old Turnpike annual reports.  Another detail I remember from the reports was that  the service areas (which had opened in 1956 when the extension was opened) had problems very quickly - by around 1960, they scaled back from 24 hours to closing sometime after dark because of low demand, and then altogether closed I think in the late 60s.  Its interesting to think how they would do today given higher traffic volumes.

SignBridge

Those service areas on the Newark Bay Ext. were still open into at least the early 1970's when I was driving that road weekly. Not sure how long after that they closed down, but definitely open in 1972-73. 

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve D on March 24, 2017, 10:39:13 AM
Another detail I remember from the reports was that  the service areas (which had opened in 1956 when the extension was opened) had problems very quickly - by around 1960, they scaled back from 24 hours to closing sometime after dark because of low demand, and then altogether closed I think in the late 60s.  Its interesting to think how they would do today given higher traffic volumes.

I suspect that having service plazas there would be a winning proposition today, especially with the largest possible parking area for truck tractors with semitrailers.  Grover Cleveland near the north end of the Pike seems to have more truck customers than it  can handle.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: Steve D on March 24, 2017, 10:39:13 AM
Quote from: ixnay on March 24, 2017, 07:21:11 AM

ixnayu

Wikipedia says the names were John Stevens and Peter Stuyvesant, and I seem to remember that from reading old Turnpike annual reports.  Another detail I remember from the reports was that  the service areas (which had opened in 1956 when the extension was opened) had problems very quickly - by around 1960, they scaled back from 24 hours to closing sometime after dark because of low demand, and then altogether closed I think in the late 60s.  Its interesting to think how they would do today given higher traffic volumes.
Probably not all that great. I-78 east of 14A is mostly a commuter route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.