News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

Quote from: lstone19 on February 16, 2021, 05:40:21 PM
Growing up in New Jersey, I never understood the "what exit" thinking. We lived far too away from the Turnpike (I-78 at the far western edge of Union County) for it to have much meaning

The "what exit" mentality didn't have much effect on me either, let alone my stepsister and stepbro-in-law, perhaps because I never took the toll roads to get to their homes (I would enter NJ via the DelMemBr).

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on February 16, 2021, 06:52:20 PM
Growing up in New Jersey, I never understood the "what exit" thinking. We lived far too away from the Turnpike (I-78 at the far western edge of Union County) for it to have much meaning

The "what exit" mentality didn't have much effect on me either, let alone my stepsister and stepbro-in-law, perhaps because I never took the toll roads to get to their homes (I would enter NJ via the DelMemBr).

ixnay

?

Well, it's kinda impossible to take the NJ Turnpike to enter NJ.

Alps

"What exit" does have a secondary use on the Parkway. People in Holmdel or Matawan-Aberdeen are Exit 117. I've seen that one in particular. It may depend on the town. LBI is Exit 63 very strongly.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/rNQgxfTKZvNmjih47
Since when are there five exits on the Newark Bay Extension?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I-78 is the mainline that defaults into 12th Street.  Exit 14C is the toll plaza as far as numbering goes and is the one exit for the Liberty Science Center, Columbus Drive, and straight through to the tunnel.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on February 17, 2021, 12:07:55 PM
I-78 is the mainline that defaults into 12th Street.  Exit 14C is the toll plaza as far as numbering goes and is the one exit for the Liberty Science Center, Columbus Drive, and straight through to the tunnel.

The NJTA considers anything exiting off its system as "an exit", so the mainline going onto 12th street is an exit for this purpose.

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 16, 2021, 08:49:27 PM
Quote from: ixnay on February 16, 2021, 06:52:20 PM

ixnay

?

Well, it's kinda impossible to take the NJ Turnpike to enter NJ.

Be advised that coming off the DelMemBr, I would utilize the "last exit before toll" and head east on US 40 towards the shore (when they lived in Mays Landing, later Absecon).  The only time I visted them in Toms River, I never used any toll roads then either, but rather I-295 to NJ  70 east to NJ 37 east.

ixnay

D-Dey65

I just found this article on life in New Jersey (which I later learned was from 2015), and yes, they mentioned the Turnpike:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/new-york/new-jersey/things-you-don-t-understand-about-new-jersey-thrillist-nyc

One quote on the list;
Quote11. The Turnpike is not for the weak
In fact, if you're not comfortable with weird traffic merges, circles, texters, those mufflers that make cars louder, and generally just people getting after it on the road, we simply ask that you stay in the right lane at all times, particularly when driving on the Turnpike, Parkway, or Expressway. It's really in the best interest of all parties.
Is it normal for people from outside of New Jersey not to be intimidated by any of these things?

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 07, 2021, 07:50:46 PM
I enjoyed the map.

"Pretty much Alabama?" That's not so hard to believe... assuming you're talking about Alabama in the early-1960's. I thought it was pretty funny that they have a redneck bar at the south end of the Turnpike, but somebody told me that they had a giant swastika in a field in there somewhere.

PHLBOS

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 07, 2021, 08:14:21 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 07, 2021, 07:50:46 PM
I enjoyed the map.

"Pretty much Alabama?" That's not so hard to believe... assuming you're talking about Alabama in the early-1960's. I thought it was pretty funny that they have a redneck bar at the south end of the Turnpike, but somebody told me that they had a giant swastika in a field in there somewhere.
FWIW, the Cowtown Rodeo grounds are located in Woodstown along US 40.  If one looks at the map; Woodstown is well inside the PRETTY MUCH ALABAMA section.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 08, 2021, 01:23:59 PM
FWIW, the Cowtown Rodeo grounds are located in Woodstown along US 40.  If one looks at the map; Woodstown is well inside the PRETTY MUCH ALABAMA section.
[/quote]

Which is still fully operating.  No pandemic is gonna stop them!

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 08, 2021, 02:46:43 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on March 08, 2021, 01:23:59 PM

Which is still fully operating.  No pandemic is gonna stop them!
[/quote]

That probably fits perfectly with the "Pretty much Alabama" description of the region (were there many COVID restrictions in Alabama? Somehow I doubt it...)

hotdogPi

Gloucester County voted for Biden.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Alps

Quote from: 1 on March 08, 2021, 06:00:51 PM
They've got a good amount of their population in the Happy White Families area.

famartin

Quote from: 1 on March 08, 2021, 06:00:51 PM

Woodstown is in Salem County, which voted for Trump.

fmendes

Does anyone think the car and truck lanes will ever get extended in the future like on the western spur and all the way to the GWB or is it over for them?

famartin

Quote from: fmendes on March 19, 2021, 09:42:09 AM
Does anyone think the car and truck lanes will ever get extended in the future like on the western spur and all the way to the GWB or is it over for them?

Not impossible, but extremely cost and environmentally difficult, so I'm suspecting its not likely for a long long time.

jeffandnicole

While using the dual/dual, Car/Truck lanes is the Turnpike's preferred method of widening the roadway when necessary beyond 4 lanes wide, north of Exit 14, the Turnpike decided to use a spur rather than a single route.  I believe they have plans to add an additional lane on the western spur, but aren't going wider than that for the foreseeable future.   

There would also be an issue of how to merge so many lanes into I-80/95.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 19, 2021, 11:22:19 AM

While using the dual/dual, Car/Truck lanes is the Turnpike's preferred method of widening the roadway when necessary beyond 4 lanes wide, north of Exit 14, the Turnpike decided to use a spur rather than a single route.  I believe they have plans to add an additional lane on the western spur, but aren't going wider than that for the foreseeable future.   

There would also be an issue of how to merge so many lanes into I-80/95.
I don't know that they've come out with exactly what is planned for widening the Westerly. We'll have to see what comes out in design and which alternatives are advanced for consideration. I doubt you'll ever see inner/outer extended past the Lombardi because the 4 carriageways north of there serve 80/95 and then upper/lower.

storm2k

Work to widen parts of the Turnpike, Parkway take first step forward

Talks about two contract awards for environmental studies, permitting, and preliminary design work on the Turnpike:

1. Environmental studies and permitting contract to AECOM for the 1-4 additional lanes.
2. Preliminary design and environmental studies to Gannett Fleming for widening and rehab of the NBHCE.

jeffandnicole

Fatal crash on the Delaware Memorial Bridge this afternoon, going into the evening, right around the NJ/DE border on the bridge.  In the past, to help traffic to get stuck at the bridge, they'll encourage people to exit at Exit 4, then take one of the other bridges to get back to 95.  Now since 95 is connected, they can encouraging traffic to exit at Exit 6.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on March 23, 2021, 06:10:15 PM

Talks about two contract awards for environmental studies, permitting, and preliminary design work on the Turnpike:

1. Environmental studies and permitting contract to AECOM for the 1-4 additional lanes.
2. Preliminary design and environmental studies to Gannett Fleming for widening and rehab of the NBHCE.

Didn't realize they planned to widen the 78 segment. Other than the short stretch north of 16W, it seems like these two projects would eliminate the remaining 4-lane sections of the Turnpike.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on March 23, 2021, 07:54:43 PM
Quote from: storm2k on March 23, 2021, 06:10:15 PM

Didn't realize they planned to widen the 78 segment. Other than the short stretch north of 16W, it seems like these two projects would eliminate the remaining 4-lane sections of the Turnpike.

Yes. It's in the 2020 Capital Plan, and includes a replacement for the Newark Bay Bridge. They want to make one with four lanes in each direction, which is smart.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.