News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: famartin on April 29, 2021, 03:36:01 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 03:14:00 PM
Quote from: storm2k on April 29, 2021, 10:49:19 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 28, 2021, 11:37:36 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on April 28, 2021, 11:00:39 PM
It makes more sense to have Wilmington/Wash-Bal as the control cities then just Baltimore.

Then why isn't Wilmington used on Northbound 95 out of Baltimore?

I always figured the thinking is that the majority of the traffic on that stretch of 95 out of Baltimore is headed to the NJ/NYC area, and that's why they do that.
Don't they also use Camden on the NJ Turnpike at times?

Yes, just southbound, from 7A to 5. Camden is primary except at 6, where Wilmington is also signed.
I'm surprised Camden is a dump and right across from Philladelphia.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

PHLBOS

I always figured the thinking is that the majority of the traffic on that stretch of 95 out of Baltimore is headed to the NJ/NYC area, and that's why they do that.
Guess on my part, but the answers/speculations to J&N's question has, no doubt, been discussed more than once in either the Delaware or Maryland threads.

Maryland's overlooking Wilmington and even Philly on its I-95 northbound signage likely dates back to a time when both the upper section of I-95 through Wilmington & I-495 either didn't yet exist nor were fully-completed.

That said & IMHO, Wilmington should be used as a northbound I-95 control city north of Baltimore.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 04:11:12 PM
It makes more sense to have Wilmington/Wash-Bal as the control cities then just Baltimore.

Yes, just southbound, from 7A to 5. Camden is primary except at 6, where Wilmington is also signed.

I suspect Camden is a dump *because* it's right across from Philadelphia.  Just too many cities in too close of an area.   When companies are looking at places to move and grow, Philly continually won out.  And Camden isn't even the only city on the NJ side of the river in this area.  The much less known Gloucester City which borders Camden is also fighting for employers and employees.  Go along the river north and south, and there's numerous other towns and cities that are fighting for businesses, especially in relation to jobs along the water.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 29, 2021, 05:51:21 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 04:11:12 PM

I suspect Camden is a dump *because* it's right across from Philadelphia.  Just too many cities in too close of an area.   When companies are looking at places to move and grow, Philly continually won out.  And Camden isn't even the only city on the NJ side of the river in this area.  The much less known Gloucester City which borders Camden is also fighting for employers and employees.  Go along the river north and south, and there's numerous other towns and cities that are fighting for businesses, especially in relation to jobs along the water.
I'm not surprised that Camden is a dump, I'm surprised that they use it on signs.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 27, 2021, 09:59:35 PM
I think it's worth repeating:  Wilmington. Is. Not. The. Capital. Of. Delaware.

Never has been.  New Castle was until 1777 when Dover took over the role.

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 29, 2021, 12:54:58 AM

I'd say it should be! States are very bad at using the next control city.
They should use Philadelphia.

And why?  The argument is that Wilmington should be used on the NJ Turnpike because it's the next major city going south (and it's not really a major city, but I digress...), even though it's not really along the route.  So, why going north from Maryland would you not use Wilmington, even though not only is it the next major city, but it's directly on the highway?

Let's say the argument is that since Philly should be used on the Turnpike Southbound to Exit 6, it wouldn't make practical sense to sign Philly going NB on the Turnpike to Exit 6 as you've already passed the city.  I would get that argument, and agree that Philly shouldn't be signed going NB.

But when Wilmington IS the next city going both North and South, why wouldn't you sign it both North and South?

And FWIW, I'd bet that if Baltimore was the control city used, and Wilmington was never signed as the control city on the Turnpike Southbound, very few people would have an issue with that, especially seeing most people appear they don't have any issue with Wilmington not being signed as the control city in Maryland on 95 North.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 29, 2021, 06:00:21 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 29, 2021, 12:54:58 AM

I'd say it should be! States are very bad at using the next control city.
They should use Philadelphia.

And why?  The argument is that Wilmington should be used on the NJ Turnpike because it's the next major city going south (and it's not really a major city, but I digress...), even though it's not really along the route.  So, why going north from Maryland would you not use Wilmington, even though not only is it the next major city, but it's directly on the highway?

Let's say the argument is that since Philly should be used on the Turnpike Southbound to Exit 6, it wouldn't make practical sense to sign Philly going NB on the Turnpike to Exit 6 as you've already passed the city.  I would get that argument, and agree that Philly shouldn't be signed going NB.

But when Wilmington IS the next city going both North and South, why wouldn't you sign it both North and South?

And FWIW, I'd bet that if Baltimore was the control city used, and Wilmington was never signed as the control city on the Turnpike Southbound, very few people would have an issue with that, especially seeing most people appear they don't have any issue with Wilmington not being signed as the control city in Maryland on 95 North.
Wilmington is nearby Philly, so it would make sense to sign it on I-95 south from Philly, but signing it northbound would be like signing Anaheim on I-5 north in San Diego.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 06:09:21 PM

Wilmington is nearby Philly, so it would make sense to sign it on I-95 south from Philly, but signing it northbound would be like signing Anaheim on I-5 north in San Diego.

A quick review of I-5 in LA appears that Anaheim isn't the preferred control city of I-5 South either.  Santa Ana is.  And while leaving the San Diego area Los Angeles is often the control city, as you drive further north Santa Ana becomes the control city before switching back to LA.

So, your example doesn't pan out, since Anaheim isn't the main control city in either direction of I-5, and Santa Ana, just south of LA, *IS* the control city in both directions.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 29, 2021, 06:26:43 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 06:09:21 PM

A quick review of I-5 in LA appears that Anaheim isn't the preferred control city of I-5 South either.  Santa Ana is.  And while leaving the San Diego area Los Angeles is often the control city, as you drive further north Santa Ana becomes the control city before switching back to LA.

So, your example doesn't pan out, since Anaheim isn't the main control city in either direction of I-5, and Santa Ana, just south of LA, *IS* the control city in both directions.
Yes, I-5 in San Diego is signed as Santa Ana (I didn't know which one they used). They use LA in San Diego just like they should use Philly in Baltimore. Once you enter Delaware then using Wilmington could work.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 06:29:22 PM...They use LA in San Diego just like they should use Philly in Baltimore. Once you enter Delaware then using Wilmington could work.

In Delaware on 95 North, any full width overhead sign structure south of DE 1 uses the "Next 3 Exit" signage or other advanded exit notice sign; no pull thru signs for 95 or control city.  At DE 1 and points north, the signs are more for the highway split at 95/295, and the 95 signs are all for Wilmington & Philadelphia. Only approaching the 95/495 split is Wilmington used singularly as a control city.

So the reality is, Delaware doesn't even use Wilmington as a sole control city.  The NJ Turnpike gives Wilmington a lot more highway recognition than Delaware does!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 29, 2021, 06:47:26 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 06:29:22 PM...They use LA in San Diego just like they should use Philly in Baltimore. Once you enter Delaware then using Wilmington could work.

In Delaware on 95 North, any full width overhead sign structure south of DE 1 uses the "Next 3 Exit" signage or other advanded exit notice sign; no pull thru signs for 95 or control city.  At DE 1 and points north, the signs are more for the highway split at 95/295, and the 95 signs are all for Wilmington & Philadelphia. Only approaching the 95/495 split is Wilmington used singularly as a control city.

So the reality is, Delaware doesn't even use Wilmington as a sole control city.  The NJ Turnpike gives Wilmington a lot more highway recognition than Delaware does!
Well using Wilmington/Philadelphia is good as it has a smaller closer by city and a larger more distant one.

MASTERNC

Saw some interesting signage coming into NJ on the PA Turnpike Extension (I was detoured from exiting onto US 1 because of an accident, so the alternate route was via US 130).  Because of AET on the PA Turnpike, the NJTA now has a sign that says "NJ Turnpike: E-ZPass or Cash ONLY".  In addition, with the expansion to two E-ZPass Express lanes at the toll plaza, the signage now says "Toll Plaza Bypass" for E-ZPass customers.  I thought the word "bypass" was an interesting choice of wording.

NJRoadfan

The "Toll Plaza Bypass" language is standard for NJTA. Its used at Garden State Parkway plazas.

https://goo.gl/maps/R8Xgb8jDx6L69kha9

roadman65

I see there is an Exit 19W now on the western spur.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2021, 12:33:20 AM
I see there is an Exit 19W now on the western spur.

Yes

roadman65

What is the brown out on the sign covering up?

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2021, 09:24:39 AM

GSV indicates it is an "EZPASS ONLY" banner.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 03, 2021, 10:34:26 AM

Thought that ramp is free.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2021, 11:55:24 PM

No. Never was. The Meadowlands Sports & Expo Authority would pay the Turnpike Authority a flat rate per car for years when the ramp was used during sporting events or concerts. Now that they've redeveloped it into a ramp that's always open to allow traffic to move to and from the mall more easily, they erected an EZ-Pass gantry and charge a flat rate toll for every vehicle that exits there.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on May 04, 2021, 12:06:20 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2021, 11:55:24 PM

No. Never was. The Meadowlands Sports & Expo Authority would pay the Turnpike Authority a flat rate per car for years when the ramp was used during sporting events or concerts. Now that they've redeveloped it into a ramp that's always open to allow traffic to move to and from the mall more easily, they erected an EZ-Pass gantry and charge a flat rate toll for every vehicle that exits there.
Well it was free to motorists until opened full time.

akotchi

If memory serves, there had been toll gantries up on the exit ramp for some time, but they were not in operation.  Not sure if they were replaced for the current use.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Roadgeekteen

In your opinion, what is the best scenery on the New Jersey Turnpike?

jeffandnicole

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 05:42:49 PM
In your opinion, what is the best scenery on the New Jersey Turnpike?
I do recall some areas of the Turnpike closer to NYC where you can get a nice shot of the NYC skyline.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.