News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2015 RandMcNally Road Atlas

Started by US 41, January 09, 2014, 11:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

I know it's early, but I guess I'll start the topic. My wishlist for the 2015 is to put the following cities in inset maps: Grand Junction, CO;  Waterloo, IA; Fall River, MA; Mansfield, OH; Lima, OH; and Clarksville, TN. I also hope I-69 is shown in Texas on the north side of Houston.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Brandon

Watch, the 2015 will be out in June 2014.  :ded:
Much, much too early, IMHO.  I remember when they didn't come out until November or December.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

Actually, lately RMcN has been releasing 201x atlases as soon as the preceding April or May, and that keeps moving back.  At some point, if that trend persists, RMcN will release a 201x atlas in November or December of 201x-2, in time for the holiday gift-buying season. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

PHLBOS

Quote from: Brandon on January 09, 2014, 11:53:25 AM
Much, much too early, IMHO.  I remember when they didn't come out until November or December.
Sounds a bit like how Ford's been releasing its new Mustang models every year since 2010 (2010 model rolled out in March/April 2009); new model rolling out in the spring rather than the fall.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SimMoonXP

And, it is high likely to placing the I-2 in far south Texas in Brownsville metro area for 2015 Rand McNally Road Atlas. I have heard the 2014 AAA road atlas first shown I-2 on the atlas!

Also I am hoping Rand McNally able to convert from state highway to state freeway for Loop 303 in west of Phoenix metropolitan area for 2015 RM road atlas due the Loop 303 freeway upgrade will complete by fall 2014.

Grand Parkway (TX-99) from I-10 to US 290 should have a new green toll road line which was completed since Dec 21st, 2013, that means might have chance seeing that new segment should be on 2015 RM Road Atlas but Houston Metropolitan map should be expand and rescale the map for best fit due extensive growth in Houston, Texas....same stuff as Phoenix Arizona too due my good friend told me Phoenix metropolitan map from USA RM road atlas should expand the metropolitan coverage down to Casa Grande (Pinal County) by I-8 and I-10 intersection.

Las Vegas metro map should be update also at CC-215 beltway for freeway line segment from Jones Blvd to Alliante Parkway in 2015 edition due the full freeway complete sometimes later this year. However Alliante Pkwy to 5th Street segment will complete sometimes in 2016 or 2017 should need blue dash line (under construction) due soon to starting construction for that segment at CC-215.

tdindy88

AAA does have I-2, I-69C and I-69E on it's Texas page of the 2014 atlas along with I-69 around Houston, but no exit numbers (not sure if there are even any out there.) As for the OP, I highly doubt they would have Lima or Mansfield on the insets.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Henry

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2014, 01:09:52 PM
Sounds a bit like how Ford's been releasing its new Mustang models every year since 2010 (2010 model rolled out in March/April 2009); new model rolling out in the spring rather than the fall.
This has been going on for years. Like back in December of 1986, when Chevy first introduced its Corsica (sedan) and Beretta (coupe) twins to the public, even though they were 1988 models!

As for new models debuting in the spring, this trend started around at least 1992, when Chrysler rolled out its LH sedans (Intrepid/Concorde/Vision) for the first time, but as 1993 models, IIRC.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Henry on January 13, 2014, 02:51:09 PM
This has been going on for years. Like back in December of 1986, when Chevy first introduced its Corsica (sedan) and Beretta (coupe) twins to the public, even though they were 1988 models!

As for new models debuting in the spring, this trend started around at least 1992, when Chrysler rolled out its LH sedans (Intrepid/Concorde/Vision) for the first time, but as 1993 models, IIRC.
Per your examples; the 2nd model year of all those cars rolled out at the usual time (fall).  The '89 Beretta/Corsica rolled out in the fall of 1988 and Chrysler's '94 model of its cab-forward LH-cars rolled out in the fall of '93.

In contrast, the 2010 through 2015 Mustangs have all rolled out in the spring of 2009 through 2014 respectively (the 2015 Mustang will go on sale this April); regardless of whether the new model year was restyled or a carry-over.  That's the difference.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 13, 2014, 03:43:35 PM
Quote from: Henry on January 13, 2014, 02:51:09 PM

Per your examples; the 2nd model year of all those cars rolled out at the usual time (fall).  The '89 Beretta/Corsica rolled out in the fall of 1988 and Chrysler's '94 model of its cab-forward LH-cars rolled out in the fall of '93.

In contrast, the 2010 through 2015 Mustangs have all rolled out in the spring of 2009 through 2014 respectively (the 2015 Mustang will go on sale this April); regardless of whether the new model year was restyled or a carry-over.  That's the difference.

The Mustang originally came out early as well, but it was called a 1964-1/2 model instead of a 1965.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PHLBOS

Quote from: Brandon on January 13, 2014, 03:59:08 PMThe Mustang originally came out early as well, but it was called a 1964-1/2 model instead of a 1965.
Well aware of such; but the '66 models rolled out in the fall of '65.

The whole correlation I have been trying to point out here is that Rand McNally's continuously rolling out (i.e. every year) their new edition atlases earlier than the fall is just like Ford's continuously rolling out its new Mustang models in spring every model year since 2010.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Road Hog

Some video games are the same way, always a year ahead, i.e. Madden 15.

Henry

I find it quite odd that the 2009-14 Mustangs have come out earlier than the other models in the Ford lineup, despite being mostly the same as the previous model each time (the 2015 will be entirely new, so an early debut would be more suitable for that).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Henry on January 14, 2014, 02:09:28 PM
I find it quite odd that the 2009 2010-14 Mustangs have come out earlier than the other models in the Ford lineup, despite being mostly the same as the previous model each time (the 2015 will be entirely new, so an early debut would be more suitable for that).
FTFY

It is indeed odd; but then again, Rand McNally has done such (launching their new/updated atlases) earlier every year as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Most magazines are released before their issue date as well.  It's not all that unusual.

NE2

If you ask a Catholic, humans exist before their due date.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hobsini2

Getting back to the original topic, I would like to see insets of these places eventually:
Downtown Birmingham AL
Auburn/Opelika AL
Dothan AL
Redding CA
Victorville/Hesperia/Apple Valley CA
Oceanside CA extended east to include Escondido and I-15
Grand Jct CO
Boulder CO to be extended northeast to include Longmont and I-25
Ft Collins CO to be extended south to include Loveland
Danbury CT
St Augustine FL
Naples/Bonita Springs FL
Gainesville FL
Ocala FL
Panama City FL
Port St Lucie FL
Port Charlotte FL
Downtown Tampa FL
Downtown Orlando FL
Athens GA
Gainesville GA
Valdosta GA
Boise ID extended west to include Nampa and Caldwell
DeKalb/Sycamore IL
Kankakee IL
Rockford IL extended east to include Belvidere
Kokomo IN
Dubuque IA
Waterloo IA
Downtown Louisville KY
Alexandria LA
Lake Charles LA
Lowell/Methuen MA
Sault Ste Marie MI
Pascagoula MS
Downtown Omaha NE
Portsmouth NH
Roswell NM
Ithaca NY
Saratoga Springs NY
Newburgh NY
Downtown Charlotte NC
Sandusky/Cedar Point OH
Downtown Columbus OH
Bend OR
Medford OR
Williamsport PA
Florence SC
Downtown Memphis TN
Downtown Nashville TN
San Angelo TX
Abilene TX
Brownsville TX
College Station/Bryan TX
Downtown Austin TX
Fredericksburg VA
Downtown Norfolk VA
Everett WA
Longview WA
Kennewick/Pasco/Richland WA
Beckley WV

Kamloops BC
Prince George BC
Kelowna BC
Lethbridge AB
Red Deer AB
Medicine Hat AB
Moose Jaw SK
Sarnia ON/Port Huron MI
Trois-Rivieres QU
Moncton NB

Acapulco Mexico
Cancun Mexico
Monterrey Mexico
Guadalajara Mexico

San Juan Puerto Rico
Ponce Puerto Rico

A lot of these places I took in to account because of they are college towns or tourist destinations on top of good size population.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hotdogPi

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 15, 2014, 10:22:13 PM
Getting back to the original topic, I would like to see insets of these places eventually:
Lowell/Methuen MA

Downtown Lowell has an inset. Did you mean Lawrence? (Lowell and Methuen are 2 towns away.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

hobsini2

Quote from: 1 on January 15, 2014, 10:26:39 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on January 15, 2014, 10:22:13 PM
Lowell/Methuen MA

Downtown Lowell has an inset. Did you mean Lawrence? (Lowell and Methuen are 2 towns away.)

Sorry. I should have said extend the map northeast to include Methuen/Lawrence.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

triplemultiplex

The biggest thing the RandMac needs is for some states that are currently crammed into one page to be given a two-page layout.  South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana and New Mexico really need some breathing room.  Not to mention this would open up more space for inset maps.

The Alaska map is pretty much useless at that scale.  It's essentially at the same scale as the US map at the front of the atlas.  They need to do what they have done with Quebec and enlarge the area where all the people (and roads) are. (That south-central area around Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula and up the Matsu Valley.)

I wouldn't mind a few full (or mostly full) page maps for Toronto and Montreal.
Texas needs even more room for city maps since the insets for Austin, El Paso and San Antonio are abysmal.
Atlanta needs a larger map, too.  Put Hawai'i on its own page and then there will be room.  Then Idaho gets two pages, probably with the northern 'panhandle' in an inset to avoid wasted space.

I'm full of ideas for that atlas. It would probably cost you another five bucks when I got done with it.  But it would suck a lot less.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bugo

Quote from: Brandon on January 13, 2014, 03:59:08 PM
The Mustang originally came out early as well, but it was called a 1964-1/2 model instead of a 1965.

The "64 1/2" model was actually a 1965 model, and it was titled as a 1965.  However, there are small differences between the early '65 "'64 1/2" Mustang and the later '65 Mustangs.  IIRC one of the differences was the headlight buckets on one used 3 screws and the other used 4.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bugo on January 16, 2014, 12:01:07 AM
Quote from: Brandon on January 13, 2014, 03:59:08 PM

The "64 1/2" model was actually a 1965 model, and it was titled as a 1965.  However, there are small differences between the early '65 "'64 1/2" Mustang and the later '65 Mustangs.  IIRC one of the differences was the headlight buckets on one used 3 screws and the other used 4.
Another difference was that the early-production 65s (aka 64 1/2s) used generators whereas the later-production 65s started using alternators.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 15, 2014, 11:56:50 PM
The biggest thing the RandMac needs is for some states that are currently crammed into one page to be given a two-page layout.  South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana and New Mexico really need some breathing room.  Not to mention this would open up more space for inset maps.

What about New Hampshire?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Henry

Quote from: 1 on January 16, 2014, 02:42:53 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 15, 2014, 11:56:50 PM

What about New Hampshire?
IIRC, the following states would be spread out on two pages at a time:

• AZ/NM
  • AR/LA/MS
  • CT/MA/RI
  • DE/MD (sometimes appearing together with VA/WV)
  • KY/TN
  • ME/NH/VT
  • NV/UT
  • NC/SC
  • ND/SD
  • VA/WV (sometimes appearing together with DE/MD)

I wonder when this practice was discontinued? I really miss seeing multiple states on the same map.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Henry on January 16, 2014, 02:57:47 PM

I wonder when this practice was discontinued? I really miss seeing multiple states on the same map.

IIRC, my 1945 map has this practice, and my 1965 does not.  that narrows it down a little.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.