News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US or Interstate highways that leave a state and then come back

Started by ranger5830, January 29, 2014, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: theline on January 29, 2014, 10:44:48 PM
I guess we could start listing the 3di loops in metro areas near state lines, like I-275. It leaves Ohio for Kentucky and Indiana before returning to the Buckeye State. I don't suppose that's what the OP had in mind though.
If that's the case, then the only other example I can come up with is I-495, which goes from MD to VA, and back to MD again. Of course, no one outside the roadgeek world would ever notice that it also cuts the southern end of DC on the Wilson Bridge.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

zzomtceo

I guess we could start listing the 3di loops in metro areas near state lines, like I-275. It leaves Ohio for Kentucky and Indiana before returning to the Buckeye State. I don't suppose that's what the OP had in mind though.
That is exactly what I thought of when I saw this post
Most used freeways:
I-69 (the Ontario to Michigan to Indiana part)
US-127
I love freeways, and I really love interchanges. Particularly interested in Michigan and SF Bay Area freeways although these change sometimes.

1995hoo

Quote from: Henry on January 30, 2014, 02:34:21 PM
If that's the case, then the only other example I can come up with is I-495, which goes from MD to VA, and back to MD again. Of course, no one outside the roadgeek world would ever notice that it also cuts the southern end of DC on the Wilson Bridge.

A pedestrian or cyclist using the new bridge's walkway might notice it. The state/territory lines are marked in the concrete on the walkway, though you have to bend over a bit to read it (at least, I did). Unfortunately I cannot find any of the pictures I took of it when I took a bike ride over the bridge. The whole folder seems to have disappeared and I have no idea why, since I seldom delete any folders from the pictures directory.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wxfree

As a marginal case, half of US 56 leaves New Mexico for a very short distance.  As I understand it, the northwest corner of the Texas Panhandle is in the middle of the road, leaving a triangle in the eastbound lane in Texas, with New Mexico on each side.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

NE2

Quote from: wxfree on January 30, 2014, 04:41:48 PM
As a marginal case, half of US 56 leaves New Mexico for a very short distance.  As I understand it, the northwest corner of the Texas Panhandle is in the middle of the road, leaving a triangle in the eastbound lane in Texas, with New Mexico on each side.
I doubt this.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.50025,-103.04167&z=15&t=T
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: US81 on January 29, 2014, 01:37:48 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on January 29, 2014, 01:22:08 PM
US 62 leaves and reenters Texas after a good distance...

as does US 54 and US 180.

US 180 leaves Texas near the panhandle, enters New Mexico, then re-enters Texas near Guadelupe Mountian National Park, then re enters New Mexico consigned with Interstate 10 at Anthony, then splits from I-10 at Deming on it's way to the Grand Canyon. So US 180 enters Texas and New Mexico twice.

wxfree

Quote from: NE2 on January 30, 2014, 05:05:30 PM
Quote from: wxfree on January 30, 2014, 04:41:48 PM
I doubt this.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.50025,-103.04167&z=15&t=T

The USGS maps don't seem to show the corner in the road, but they don't really zoom in far enough.  Google Maps indicates the corner certainly isn't in the road.  Bing Maps distorts the state line to make it reach the middle of the road.  Thinking back, I remember seeing it on a web site, which I found.  http://www.usends.com/Explore/Corners/TX-northwest/index.html  The text indicates that he figures the corner is in the middle of the road, but the photo seems to show him standing at the shoulder line.  This is a place I'd like to visit sometime and make my own assessment.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on January 29, 2014, 01:43:48 PM
NJ/NY 440 is a state route that does this (and not just briefly either. And there are toll river crossings involved both times).
Quote from: dgolub on January 30, 2014, 08:56:13 AM
NY 120A crosses over into Connecticut and then back into New York.

:confused: I thought OP was only interested in only US and/or Interstates and not state routes or highways.

If the latter's being included, one could add RI 114A to the list; it goes into MA (at Seekonk, where it crosses US 6 & intechanges w/I-195) and then back into RI again.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

I figured a state route would be more notable, especially one like 440 which is part of an important freeway connection between NYC and NJ. And, it's more unusual for a state route to leave the state for this long and come back (the Staten Island segment is 13 miles, as long as the rest of the route put together).

NE2

Quote from: bzakharin on January 30, 2014, 09:09:11 PM
I figured a state route would be more notable, especially one like 440 which is part of an important freeway connection between NYC and NJ. And, it's more unusual for a state route to leave the state for this long and come back (the Staten Island segment is 13 miles, as long as the rest of the route put together).
169 miles in Georgia on several different routes to get from one FL 2 to the other. Whether they're intended as one route is questionable.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

broadhurst04

Duke87

It's interesting how there are so many cases of a US highway exiting and later reentering the same state.

Meanwhile, for interstates, I can't think of any examples other than I-24 in Tennessee, I-86 in Pennsylvania and New York, and I-684 in New York. (for the sake of this argument I'm assuming beltways that cross state lines don't count in the purest sense since there are not multiple disconnected segments in the same state).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Quote from: briantroutman on January 29, 2014, 01:52:57 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on January 29, 2014, 01:43:48 PM
Also I-86 crosses the PA/NY state line several times.

The interesting thing about this section (near Sayre, PA) is that it was constructed and is maintained by NYSDOT, and the NY mileposts and exit numbers are maintained. The only indication that you've re-entered PA is a small "STATE BORDER"  sign. After a NY interchange that is entirely in PA, I-86 goes back into NY about a mile to the east.

Not yet it doesn't, unless there's some news I haven't caught yet.

dgolub

Quote from: bzakharin on January 30, 2014, 09:09:11 PM

To be fair, NJ 440 itself doesn't go into New York, it turns into NY 440 at the state line.  NY 120A actually goes over the border into Connecticut as NY 120A.  Both are notable in different ways.

hbelkins

WV/VA 259: Southern terminus in Virginia, crosses into West Virginia, then goes back into Virginia for its northern terminus.

WV/VA 311: Southern terminus in Virginia, crosses into West Virginia, crosses back into Virginia, then crosses back to West Virginia for its northern terminus.

But we're not supposed to be talking about state highways according to the topic title.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

StogieGuy7

Wow, I can't believe that nobody mentioned US 395, which leaves California for some 90 miles to pass through the Carson City and Reno areas before returning to CA to serve the northeastern part of the state before continuing into OR.

hotdogPi

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on January 31, 2014, 07:49:32 PM
Wow, I can't believe that nobody mentioned US 395, which leaves California for some 90 miles to pass through the Carson City and Reno areas before returning to CA to serve the northeastern part of the state before continuing into OR.

Read the first post.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

roadman65

I am not going through over 40 posts, but US 59 & 71 enter and reenter Arkansas north of Texarkana.  Where the new AR 549 Extension ends is solely in TX.  The speed limit back in 01 was 70 mph which is not allowed in AR on non freeway arterials, I do not know if TX raised it to 75 since its been almost 13 years, but it is in the Lone Star State for a bit north of I-30.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on January 31, 2014, 07:59:47 PM
I am not going through over 40 posts, but US 59 & 71 enter and reenter Arkansas north of Texarkana.  Where the new AR 549 Extension ends is solely in TX.  The speed limit back in 01 was 70 mph which is not allowed in AR on non freeway arterials, I do not know if TX raised it to 75 since its been almost 13 years, but it is in the Lone Star State for a bit north of I-30.

Last I looked (last Spring) it was 70.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

Quote from: Alps on February 01, 2014, 02:54:06 AM
I am too lazy to use the Search box at the top right corner

Its not about the ability to search or not. I do not have all day to be on the computer.  I usually log on when I have a quick minuet, as I do have a life.  Even when I check my email real quickly I get criticized by others around me, particularly the older folks. I am claimed that I am spending too much time on the computer in addition to how the computer has brainwashed this society. 

Bottom line, I was conversing with the people here and was simply responding.  My mention of the fact it might of been said before was to acknowledge to the other users who might have remembered the instance, that I was not trying to be funny here. 

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on February 01, 2014, 09:59:38 AM
Quote from: Alps on February 01, 2014, 02:54:06 AM
I am too lazy to use the Search box at the top right corner

Its not about the ability to search or not. I do not have all day to be on the computer.  I usually log on when I have a quick minuet, as I do have a life.  Even when I check my email real quickly I get criticized by others around me, particularly the older folks. I am claimed that I am spending too much time on the computer in addition to how the computer has brainwashed this society. 

Bottom line, I was conversing with the people here and was simply responding.  My mention of the fact it might of been said before was to acknowledge to the other users who might have remembered the instance, that I was not trying to be funny here. 
When you say things like "I didn't look to see if this was already discussed," it does not come across well, not to mention it can short-circuit a discussion and dredge up a rehash of past events. It takes only a few seconds to search. For someone who only has a computer for a few minutes a day, you've sure managed to rack up a lot of posts...

roadman65

Check your post boards lately, I have not been on it that much in the past few weeks.  When I did go on it for that post about US 71 in TX, I did not think it was necessary as we are all grown ups here, or at least I would think. Plus we all do have something called common sense!  So I reposted, its not the end of the world!  Like I do it everyday, and, lets see, many others reposted.  Considering my reason for that at the time I do not think its a big deal!

You are not perfect either Steve, as on your own site you mention that US 202 in Mahwah is the last traffic signal on NJ 17 to be removed north of US 46 when it never was signalized.  Look at the SB NJ 17 bridge over it and see that it was a 1930, maybe 1940 era design.  Plus I saw the last signal in the process of being removed at Lake Street in 1987 or 88.  No I did not document it, but the bridge over US 202 on the SB side tells its age real good even on GSV.  In fact who cares when the last signal was removed and when, just care about what potential road geeks well known in the country who do not post here because of stupid shit!   I know one for sure who is known by many here, but will not join because of all the anal posts on here!    You need not to judge people because of what party they belong to as you seem to have something against conservatives or whatever the RIGHT is now called as they're too many names and fighting among themselves over the state of this nation.  Also, I am not a Republican either like you think.  I vote for the best candidate on what they do not what party they are affiliated with.  Just so you know, I hate Rick Scott our bald headed idiot governor of Florida and voted for Janet Sink his opponent as I feel besides being an anal opening, Mr Scott has no political experience while being a first rate crook who beat the system when ran his company unethically when he was CEO of whatever he did before he stole the office  in Tallahassee from normal politicians who should be doing an important job as his.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on February 02, 2014, 12:14:15 AM
I hate Rick Scott our bald headed idiot governor of Florida and voted for Janet Sink his opponent
And this is why Scott won - Alex Sink has no name recognition among the low-information voting population. :bigass:

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadman65 on February 01, 2014, 09:59:38 AMBottom line, I was conversing with the people here and was simply responding.

Not sure how politics got involved here.  But if you can't be bothered to read the other posts in the thread, then you've forgotten that half of conversing is listening to the other people.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.