News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US or Interstate highways that leave a state and then come back

Started by ranger5830, January 29, 2014, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranger5830

Hi all,

I was planning a summer road trip and noticed that US 212 goes from South Dakota to Wyoming to Montana then back to Wyoming after about 300 miles in Montana.  Are there other examples of this?  The only other one I can think of is US 395 leaves southern California to go into Nevada for about 85 miles then goes into Northern CA.  Are there any others?

agentsteel53

2 and 141 alternate between Michigan and Wisconsin. 

52 loops into Kentucky for several blocks.

US-5 once briefly looped into NH.

more can be found here...

http://us-highways.com/usbt.htm
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SD Mapman

There's US 191 north of West Yellowstone (MT-WY-MT). It's only about 5-6 miles, though.
If your trip comes through the Black Hills, you should check out Spearfish Canyon.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

PurdueBill

US 62 leaves and reenters Texas after a good distance.

I-24 dips into Georgia and back into Tennessee but it is brief.

codyg1985

US 72 leaves west Tennessee around Piperton (east of Memphis) and then reappears far to the east at South Pittsburg, TN (west of Chattanooga).
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Takumi

US 340 in Virginia. I think this has been discussed before.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Doctor Whom

US81

bzakharin

NJ/NY 440 is a state route that does this (and not just briefly either. And there are toll river crossings involved both times). Also I-86 crosses the PA/NY state line several times.

briantroutman

Quote from: bzakharin on January 29, 2014, 01:43:48 PM
Also I-86 crosses the PA/NY state line several times.

The interesting thing about this section (near Sayre, PA) is that it was constructed and is maintained by NYSDOT, and the NY mileposts and exit numbers are maintained. The only indication that you've re-entered PA is a small "STATE BORDER"  sign. After a NY interchange that is entirely in PA, I-86 goes back into NY about a mile to the east.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

PurdueBill

Quote from: US81 on January 29, 2014, 01:37:48 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on January 29, 2014, 01:22:08 PM
US 62 leaves and reenters Texas after a good distance...

as does US 54 and US 180.

I thought about 180 (as it runs with 62) as well as I-684 but thought why not let everyone have a crack.  :P

bing101

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_95_map.png

According to this map US-95 Hits Arizona Twice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_95_in_California

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US-95

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Route_95

But sections os US-95 in Arizona is shown as a state route.

corco

Yeah... thats because it is. US 95 goes from Mexico to Blythe, CA, leaving AZ concurrent with I 10. Arizona SR 95 has multiple segments, with one segment ending at the California line in Needles.

theline

I guess we could start listing the 3di loops in metro areas near state lines, like I-275. It leaves Ohio for Kentucky and Indiana before returning to the Buckeye State. I don't suppose that's what the OP had in mind though.

Alps

US 611 used to leave PA at the Portland-Columbia Bridge and return at the Delaware Water Gap.

hbelkins

Quote from: briantroutman on January 29, 2014, 01:52:57 PM
Also I-86 crosses the PA/NY state line several times.

The interesting thing about this section (near Sayre, PA) is that it was constructed and is maintained by NYSDOT, and the NY mileposts and exit numbers are maintained. The only indication that you've re-entered PA is a small "STATE BORDER"  sign. After a NY interchange that is entirely in PA, I-86 goes back into NY about a mile to the east.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 29, 2014, 01:17:37 PM
52 loops into Kentucky for several blocks.

That US 52 section was built by and is maintained by West Virginia, similar to the NY 17/I-86 example above.

US 119 goes KY-WV (intersects US 52 just across the state line) KY-WV-KY-WV.

WV/VA 102 crosses the state line several times.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Road Hog

US 71 crosses the Red River from Arkansas into Texas, follows the state line and then re-enters Arkansas in downtown Texarkana.

I-49 is supposed to do the same thing, only taking a larger loop into Texas.

topay

Quote from: Doctor Whom on January 29, 2014, 01:35:42 PM
US 50 goes from MD to DC to VA to WV to MD to WV.

I've always enjoyed this example, most notably because of how US 50 goes through three other places between its two Maryland segments (DC, VA, and WV).

Are there even any other examples where a route goes through two other states between segments of another state?

codyg1985

Quote from: topay on January 30, 2014, 08:39:33 AM

I've always enjoyed this example, most notably because of how US 50 goes through three other places between its two Maryland segments (DC, VA, and WV).

Are there even any other examples where a route goes through two other states between segments of another state?

US 72 mentioned above exits Tennessee, goes through Mississippi and Alabama before returning to Tennessee.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

topay

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 30, 2014, 08:42:53 AM
Quote from: topay on January 30, 2014, 08:39:33 AM

US 72 mentioned above exits Tennessee, goes through Mississippi and Alabama before returning to Tennessee.

That it does...thanks for the reminder!

And of course, it's those "long" states, like Maryland or Tennessee, that really allow this possibility in the first place.

dgolub

NY 120A crosses over into Connecticut and then back into New York.

US 41

When I-49 is finished it will go from Arkansas to Texas and back into Arkansas.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hubcity

NJ/NY 440 is a state route that does this (and not just briefly either. And there are toll river crossings involved both times). Also I-86 crosses the PA/NY state line several times.

According to its SLD, NJ Secondary Route 501 does as well, concurrent for much of the route. NJ was planning for New York getting tired of Staten Island and ceding it to NJ, I guess...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.