News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highest amount of EXITS on as single sign?

Started by Zeffy, January 29, 2014, 02:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

So, after looking at this picture,

it got me to think, wow, that's a lot of exits on one sign. So, I'm wondering what's the largest numbers of exits you've seen on a single sign? All situations count, whether it's numbers and letters or just plain numbers.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

Do all the numbers actually have to be present or does a range of numbers count? If a range counts, the signs that immediately come to mind for me are the ones entering the Thruway at Exit 24 near Albany. The sign for the southbound route refers to "Exits 23—1" and the sign for the westbound route refers to "Exits 25—61."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 29, 2014, 02:40:08 PM
Do all the numbers actually have to be present or does a range of numbers count? If a range counts, the signs that immediately come to mind for me are the ones entering the Thruway at Exit 24 near Albany. The sign for the southbound route refers to "Exits 23—1" and the sign for the westbound route refers to "Exits 25—61."

I was kinda referring to all of the numbers being present (either on the sign itself or on an exit tab affixed to the sign), but what you listed could be a nice discussion as well.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

I thought that might be your focus in view of the exemplar you posted, but I figured I'd clarify. That's a tougher question!

hotdogPi

On I-495 in Massachusetts, there is 35A-35B-35C.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Alps

At what point do you just stop listing the letters?

theline

I seem to recall from many years ago seeing a sign along SB I-75 in downtown Cincinnati that listed more exits then these examples. I don't have a picture and could find it on GSV. Maybe it's gone. IIRC, it was exits 1A-B-C-D-E-F. Anyone have a shot?

roadman

Quote from: 1 on January 29, 2014, 03:41:06 PM
On I-495 in Massachusetts, there is 35A-35B-35C.
To clarify, the mainline signs on I-495 northbound read "EXITS 35A-B-C".  The signs on I-495 southbound read "EXITS 35C-B-A".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

Quote from: Alps on January 29, 2014, 10:40:06 PM

At what point do you just stop listing the letters?

Similarly, there used to be a sign on southbound I-395 near Springfield, Virginia, with an "EXITS 1 D-C-B-A" tab (may have been in the other order, I'm not sure), but the tab disappeared a year or two ago and was never replaced. The new-style APL sign a bit further south has two exit tabs, one on the left for "EXITS 1 B-A" and one on the right for "EXITS 1 D-C." I'm not sure if separate tabs like that fit what the OP had in mind.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Zeffy

Quote from: Brandon on January 30, 2014, 12:07:29 PM
I guess here: Kennedy Expressway at Randolph Street.

That sign is ugly. Why is the EXIT ONLY not centered between the arrows, and why is the I-290 legend off-center as well?

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 30, 2014, 12:00:48 PM
Similarly, there used to be a sign on southbound I-395 near Springfield, Virginia, with an "EXITS 1 D-C-B-A" tab (may have been in the other order, I'm not sure), but the tab disappeared a year or two ago and was never replaced. The new-style APL sign a bit further south has two exit tabs, one on the left for "EXITS 1 B-A" and one on the right for "EXITS 1 D-C." I'm not sure if separate tabs like that fit what the OP had in mind.

The criteria I had in mind was:
* Exit tab(s) on a single sign (so yours would count as long as it's on a single sign)
* Exits must be listed consecutively (I.E. A-B-C-D...)

So far, Steve's / Alps I-95 / US 1 BGS is tied for the NJTP 14-14A-14B-14C BGS. [4 exits listed] Brandon's would win if I modified the criteria a bit.

ET21

Quote from: Zeffy on January 30, 2014, 12:30:31 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 30, 2014, 12:07:29 PM
I guess here: Kennedy Expressway at Randolph Street.

That sign is ugly. Why is the EXIT ONLY not centered between the arrows, and why is the I-290 legend off-center as well?

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 30, 2014, 12:00:48 PM

The criteria I had in mind was:
* Exit tab(s) on a single sign (so yours would count as long as it's on a single sign)
* Exits must be listed consecutively (I.E. A-B-C-D...)

So far, Steve's / Alps I-95 / US 1 BGS is tied for the NJTP 14-14A-14B-14C BGS. [4 exits listed] Brandon's would win if I modified the criteria a bit.

Luckily for the Kennedy, that area is getting a much needed Circle Interchange makeover
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.