News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Snoqualamine Pass Closure

Started by KEK Inc., February 18, 2014, 07:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

Snoqualamine Pass is now closed due to weather.  Not sure about these new VMS signs they installed last summer.

Take the road less traveled.

roadman

LCD signs and snowy environment don't mix.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

KEK Inc.

LED, but yes.  LED doesn't generate much heat to melt the snow. 

roadman

My bad.  I presumed LCD because of the black on white speed limit display.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

KEK Inc.

Most VMS signs now are LED, and some of the fancy ones can display somewhat high resolution messages.

TEG24601

Technically both are correct.  They are LCD because they are liquid-crystal displays.  However, the backlight, instead of being fluorescent lights or other source are LEDs.  The old LCDs were orange on black, the new LEDs/LCDs are full color, and can fake BGSs when needed.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.