News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 01, 2015, 08:18:13 PM
Way back when I got into this stuff, I always wondered why there was a gap there. When I learned why, I thought those who got into the way were a buncha peabrains; I may or may not still think that.

They weren't just peabrains, they were rich and entitled peabrains at that. The only thing that really hurt the original Somerset Freeway was the opposition of the Turnpike Authority along with the Hopewell/Princeton NIMBYs who had enough power to lobby and shelf it for good. Then everyone realized what it's like not having any freeway through some fairly large towns on the US 206 corridor...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

bzakharin

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 01, 2015, 08:39:06 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on August 01, 2015, 08:23:21 PM
It'll still be faster to go from NYC-to-Baltimore using the NJ Turnpike or I-295 to the Del. Mem. Bridge. I-95 thru Philadelphia can be a tough ride.......

Regardless of whether it's faster or not, it'll be nice for I-95 to finally be a straight shot from NYC through the Mid-Atlantic.
Not to mention a direct freeway route from Philly to NYC

J Route Z

The only thing that bothers me is the renumbering of I-295 and I-95 in NJ, as a result of the interchange. What did they decide, to just extend 295 into PA or something? If this is the case, then the cardinal directions will be messed up. Unless they change it from north/south to east/west. It is very hard to picture these changes. Overall, I am glad they are finally getting cracking here.

jeffandnicole

As discussed on Page 5, it will become I-295. Like every other 3di loop or beltway around a city, the cardinal directions will change as needed.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on August 01, 2015, 08:05:28 PM
Yeah, kind of needed. I've been waiting almost 40 years for this, since I first drove thru there as a young guy and was in disbelief that I couldn't go from the Turnpike onto I-95. Unheard of on the New York Thruway!

It probably will take another 7 years knowing the PTC. And again I feel compelled to point out the entire original New Jersey Turnpike was built in 2 friggin years! Yes, it was a lot simpler in 1951, but that's what used to get done with leftover World War II style determination and a will to get the job done. We could use some of that today!
If this forum had karma points you'd get all of mine.

TravelingBethelite

Are there any other major interchange projects currently occuring on the 95 mainline? Seems like 95 will always be under construction somewhere.  :ded:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

ekt8750

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 02, 2015, 04:50:34 PM
Are there any other major interchange projects currently occuring on the 95 mainline? Seems like 95 will always be under construction somewhere.  :ded:

The one at PA 73 is getting completely rebuilt in conjunction with the freeway widening project, the Betsy Ross Bridge Interchange is getting added to with the connection to Adams Av., and the Girard/Delaware/Aramingo Av interchange too in conjunction with the widening project.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 02, 2015, 04:50:34 PM

Considering the highway is nearly 2,000 miles long, there will always be construction projects going on.  Every state will probably have at least one project going on somewhere along the highway.  At the very least you're always going to have maintenance stuff - bridge repair, repaving, etc. 

odditude

A work zone has been set up on I-95 within the project limits, from south of Exit 40 to north of the Turnpike overpass.

Henry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 02, 2015, 08:11:15 AM
As discussed on Page 5, it will become I-295. Like every other 3di loop or beltway around a city, the cardinal directions will change as needed.
So I-295 will be signed east-west on the extension over old I-95?

In any case, I'm glad to see that construction on the badly-needed interchange has finally started!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Henry on October 07, 2015, 12:39:10 PM

In any case, I'm glad to see that construction on the badly-needed interchange has finally started!

That is unknown right now.

cpzilliacus

Problem is - that I-295 has always been (correctly) signed N-S in New Jersey, which it mostly does.  There is a new map on the project's Web site here that shows how I-295 will be signed.

Yeah, but only for traffic moving from the northbound Delaware Expressway (I-95) to the eastbound side of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (currently I-276) and from the westbound Turnpike to the southbound Delaware Expressway. 

Other parts of the interchange may get built at some unspecified time in the future.

The project Web site has a FAQ page page that says:

QuoteThe PA Turnpike/I-95 Interchange Project has been split into three stages. The majority of Stage 1 is either already complete, under construction, or in final design. Stage 1 construction will be complete in the Fall of 2018. Stage 2 is not currently funded, but final design is expected to begin on the Stage 2 contracts in late 2015/early 2016. Construction of these sections depends on project funding availability and traffic patterns and needs as a result of Stage 1 improvements. Stage 3 is also dependent on funding and will likely not begin construction until after 2025.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

The Ghostbuster

I thought old 95 would become an extension of 195 and 295 would be truncated to Exit 60. Or has there been a change in plans?

odditude

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 07, 2015, 02:06:18 PM
The project Web site has a FAQ page page that says: [..]
that project site got a significant overhaul - last week, it was still an ugly mess that hadn't been significantly updated in years.

AMLNet49

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 07, 2015, 03:01:35 PM
I thought old 95 would become an extension of 195 and 295 would be truncated to Exit 60. Or has there been a change in plans?

They changed their minds, I-295 will now be a giant hook

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 07, 2015, 02:06:18 PMThere is a new map on the project's Web site here that shows how I-295 will be signed.
Ugh!  IMHO, the PA portion of extended I-295 should be N-S and the current I-95 section in NJ (to US 1) that will be extended I-295 should be E-W.  The exact opposite of what the graphic shows.

Yes, such would mean that I-295's direction cardinals change twice (state line & at US 1) rather than once (state line only); but such has been done elsewhere (mostly on beltways).  No biggie IMHO.  Note: the mile markers/exit numbers would still only change/reset once at the state line.

Given, the number of changes that have taken place; I, personally, wouldn't be surprised if this is tweaked again some time later.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SignBridge

PHLBOS is right. I looked at that plan on their website and they do have it backwards. I-295 in Pa. should be north/south and in NJ from the Delaware River to U.S.1 should be east/west. What planet are these engineers on? The two states DOT's must be each operating in a vacuum instead of jointly coordinating the designations of the route.

LOL Maybe we in the United States should adopt the German Autobahn practice of not using cardinal directions, and just listing multiple city destinations on the signs for each route. Then we'd only have to argue about the destinations, and not the cardinal directions. (chuckle!)

Come to think of it, I believe that is what was originally envisioned for interstate highways signing back in the 1950's. And some signing of the late 1950's/early 1960's did reflect that practice. 

odditude

another vote for changing signed direction at the state line and US 1, here.

PHLBOS

Maybe what should be done (and I believe someone may have mentioned such a few pages back) is maybe use Loop designations (both INNER and OUTER) for NJ stretch of I-295 from the state line to either US 1 or even I-195 (Exit 60) similar to how VDOT handled I-64 in the Norfolk area once the route started tracking southwest (after mostly heading eastbound).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Henry

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 08, 2015, 10:17:09 AM
Maybe what should be done (and I believe someone may have mentioned such a few pages back) is maybe use Loop designations (both INNER and OUTER) for NJ stretch of I-295 from the state line to either US 1 or even I-195 (Exit 60) similar to how VDOT handled I-64 in the Norfolk area once the route started tracking southwest (after mostly heading eastbound).
That's exactly what I had in mind. I still think it would be better to make I-295 an east/west route on the extension to avoid the I-64 scenario.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

US 1 should be the changing point, not the Delaware River.  Plus I-295 in PA is not really E-W, but at least if US 1 is the orientation change point at least through Ewing and Lawrence it does run somewhat of an E-W nature to make PA's part work.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Quote from: roadman65 on October 09, 2015, 02:37:15 AM
US 1 should be the changing point, not the Delaware River.  Plus I-295 in PA is not really E-W, but at least if US 1 is the orientation change point at least through Ewing and Lawrence it does run somewhat of an E-W nature to make PA's part work.
Exactly!

noelbotevera

Why should PA be indulged in I-295? What's wrong with getting I-195 punched into there?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 09, 2015, 04:09:09 PM
Why should PA be indulged in I-295? What's wrong with getting I-195 punched into there?
Such is too close to the current I-195 in NJ. 

Until recently (& such was already discussed a few pages back), the plan was indeed to redesignate I-95/295 between the PA Turnpike and I-195/NJ 29 interchange as an eastern extension of I-195.  That plan was nixed because such would've needlessly required NJ to reset the exit number/mile markers along the existing I-195 to reflect the extension; and the through-I-195 movements at the I-195/295/NJ 29 interchange would've been a bottleneck for both directions (through-I-195 eastbound movement would've involved using a cloverleaf ramp).

Nonetheless, regardless of what number is chosen (195, 295, 695*); the PA stretch is still is and should be signed as a N-S route.

*I originally suggested that the I-95/295 leg should be designated as a separate I-695 from the PA Turnpike to either US 1 (Exit 67) or I-195/NJ 29 (Exit 60).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

noelbotevera

The funny thing about it is that there's an easy fix to this: truncate I-295 to Exit 60, truncate I-195 to Exit 6 and you have a continuous I-95 all the way from the Scudder Falls Bridge to the NJ Turnpike. If needed, truncate I-95 as well.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.