News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

Of course there always should have been a connexion between the PA Turnpike and I-95 for the convenience of the motoring publc.  But its absence reflects the insignificance of Philadelphia.
C-o-H

ixnay

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 24, 2018, 05:49:40 PM
Of course there always should have been a connexion between the PA Turnpike and I-95 for the convenience of the motoring publc.  But its absence reflects the insignificance of Philadelphia.

Philly was probably doomed to "permanent" insignificance the day the NJTP opened.  ;-) And I say that even sporting my own Delaware Valley (specifically Delaware County) roots.

ixnay

Beltway

Quote from: ixnay on January 24, 2018, 08:59:44 PM
Philly was probably doomed to "permanent" insignificance the day the NJTP opened.  ;-) And I say that even sporting my own Delaware Valley (specifically Delaware County) roots.
ixnay

The NJ Turnpike alone did not provide the northeast corridor bypass of Philadelphia and SE PA, the Delaware Memorial Bridge connected the NJTP to US-40 in Delaware.  They both did open the same year in 1951.

The Delaware Memorial Bridge construction was authorized by the highway departments of Delaware and New Jersey in 1945.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

storm2k

IIRC, federal law at the time did not allow federal highway dollars to be used to make a connection like that to a toll road, which would have meant that the PATA would have had to front the cost of construction. In short, as I remember it, they didn't want to give up any revenue to build such an interchange.

jeffandnicole

ixnay

It would've become important again if the Somerset Freeway was completed.  Absent that, PA really dropped the ball in not rushing out there to build the connection between 95 and the PA Turnpike.  They've had plenty of money, evidenced by all the other construction work they've done everywhere else.  Heck, I think they've wasted more money building the barrier between the eastbound and westbound lanes TWICE. The first time, they used some thick, barrel shaped wall; the remaining stretch is on the western side of the Turnpike somewhere.  From what I can imagine, when it's hit pieces fly off and creates a hazard inches from the left travel lane until it's fixed.  The second time, they were more normal in their approach, building a jersey barrier.

ixnay

Quote from: Beltway on January 24, 2018, 09:36:58 PM
ixnay

The NJ Turnpike alone did not provide the northeast corridor bypass of Philadelphia and SE PA, the Delaware Memorial Bridge connected the NJTP to US-40 in Delaware.  They both did open the same year in 1951.

The Delaware Memorial Bridge construction was authorized by the highway departments of Delaware and New Jersey in 1945.

True.  Pre NJTP, pick up U.S. 130 in New Brunswick and 130 could've done the job of getting around Philly, and with plenty more service areas.

ixnay

bzakharin

Insignificance in what way? Its size is larger than Baltimore or Boston and both of those are directly served by the Northeast Corridor.

mrsman

Quote from: Alps on January 22, 2018, 10:30:22 PM
Quote from: akotchi on January 22, 2018, 09:36:48 PM

Is it the angle, or did they really block the other sign with it?

Not liking this.  They should just put up the new sign with an "old exit" sign the way PA did a few years ago when they converterd to mileage based exits.

See the following link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0080023,-75.2015127,3a,75y,297.48h,100.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snppepOdo_z7fCQzfG49TsQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

[It can say "I-95 old exit 6"]

mrsman

Quote from: ixnay on January 25, 2018, 08:01:25 AM
Quote from: Beltway on January 24, 2018, 09:36:58 PM
ixnay

True.  Pre NJTP, pick up U.S. 130 in New Brunswick and 130 could've done the job of getting around Philly, and with plenty more service areas.

ixnay

I think Philly should be happy that there are viable bypasses to keep long dist traffic from clogging up commuter routes.  DC does not have this luxury.

sparker

How so?  Traffic using US 130, which prior to the opening of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, ended at US 40 in Penns Grove, would have had to use the ferry there to cross back to the west side to access Delaware.  Maybe it's just me, but having to use a ferry when there's a land alternative (albeit actually through Philadelphia and/or environs west of the river) available isn't much of an effective way to bypass a city.  I'd think that pre-massive suburban development in Bucks County US 202 would have made a better bypass.  Unless the Penns Grove/US 40 ferry utilized multiple vessels to keep the wait time to the minimum, the delays alone would render the US 130 alternative more of a east-bank NJ server rather than an efficient Philadelphia bypass.  And since the Delaware Memorial bridge and NJT opened effectively simultaneously, that would have kept US 130 out of the equation later on.   

Alps

Quote from: sparker on January 26, 2018, 12:01:23 AM

How so?  Traffic using US 130, which prior to the opening of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, ended at US 40 in Penns Grove, would have had to use the ferry there to cross back to the west side to access Delaware.  Maybe it's just me, but having to use a ferry when there's a land alternative (albeit actually through Philadelphia and/or environs west of the river) available isn't much of an effective way to bypass a city.  I'd think that pre-massive suburban development in Bucks County US 202 would have made a better bypass.  Unless the Penns Grove/US 40 ferry utilized multiple vessels to keep the wait time to the minimum, the delays alone would render the US 130 alternative more of a east-bank NJ server rather than an efficient Philadelphia bypass.  And since the Delaware Memorial bridge and NJT opened effectively simultaneously, that would have kept US 130 out of the equation later on.   
Even taking the Ben Franklin when that opened, and that opened many, many years ago, would still get you around a fair bit of Philly.

sparker

Quote from: Alps on January 26, 2018, 12:04:22 AM
Quote from: sparker on January 26, 2018, 12:01:23 AM

Even taking the Ben Franklin when that opened, and that opened many, many years ago, would still get you around a fair bit of Philly.

North Philly, yeah -- but if you can see Independence Hall from the bridge approach, you've still got a helluva lot of Philly to slog through -- and that would have been pre-freeway in any case, with the possible exception of the Surekill!

ixnay

Quote from: sparker on January 26, 2018, 12:01:23 AMMaybe it's just me, but having to use a ferry when there's a land alternative (albeit actually through Philadelphia and/or environs west of the river) available isn't much of an effective way to bypass a city. 

As long as you didn't mind going through the city with what all that brought.  I'm sure some people not in a real hurry didn't mind waiting at Bridgeport, Penns Grove, or Pennsville (I was on the Chester-Bridgeport ferry a few times as a kid pre Commodore Barry, including one time as a field trip).  That said, the CBB and DMB were lonnnnnnng overdue.

QuoteI'd think that pre-massive suburban development in Bucks County US 202 would have made a better bypass.  Unless the Penns Grove/US 40 ferry utilized multiple vessels to keep the wait time to the minimum, the delays alone would render the US 130 alternative more of a east-bank NJ server rather than an efficient Philadelphia bypass.  And since the Delaware Memorial bridge and NJT opened effectively simultaneously, that would have kept US 130 out of the equation later on.

Getting to 202 from NYC meant going out U.S. 22 to 202 in Bridgewater.

The U.S. 202 corridor IMO needs a longer distance freeway than what it has now.

ixnay

akotchi

Quote from: mrsman on January 25, 2018, 11:22:15 PM

Not liking this.  They should just put up the new sign with an "old exit" sign the way PA did a few years ago when they converterd to mileage based exits.

See the following link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0080023,-75.2015127,3a,75y,297.48h,100.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snppepOdo_z7fCQzfG49TsQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I agree, especially when this one is close enough to the guide sign to block a portion of its message.

According to the NJDOT presentation on the contract, when they get around to doing the overhead signs, only the "old" portion of that sign would appear, directly above the new exit number in the standard white-on-green (more like your suggestion).  The presentation did not address the ground-mounted guide signs.  Not sure why this one is set up this way -- only reason I can think of is loading, but should use the same treatment as the overheads -- and no other ground-mounts have been done yet to see if this is the pattern.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jemacedo9

Quote from: akotchi on January 26, 2018, 10:33:18 AM

See the following link:

I agree, especially when this one is close enough to the guide sign to block a portion of its message.

According to the NJDOT presentation on the contract, when they get around to doing the overhead signs, only the "old" portion of that sign would appear, directly above the new exit number in the standard white-on-green (more like your suggestion).  The presentation did not address the ground-mounted guide signs.  Not sure why this one is set up this way -- only reason I can think of is loading, but should use the same treatment as the overheads -- and no other ground-mounts have been done yet to see if this is the pattern.

The difference here from most exit renumberings in the past is that both the highway number and the exit number are changing...so these signs are emphasizing both facts.  I'm OK with the sign given that intent. I can't tell if that color is orange or yellow, but if it's yellow, I am OK with that also. 

The placement of the sign seems to be a problem if it's really that close.

storm2k

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 26, 2018, 10:56:08 AM
Quote from: akotchi on January 26, 2018, 10:33:18 AM

See the following link:

The difference here from most exit renumberings in the past is that both the highway number and the exit number are changing...so these signs are emphasizing both facts.  I'm OK with the sign given that intent. I can't tell if that color is orange or yellow, but if it's yellow, I am OK with that also. 

The placement of the sign seems to be a problem if it's really that close.

Using a yellow "Former Exit" sign in NJ's standard. It was when they renumbered 287 in the early 90s. Even the Parkway used it for fixing some of their exit numbers with the MUTCD signing project. My complaint is why they didn't just bolt that panel to the bottom of the BGS. Would make much more sense.

webny99

Is there an estimated date of completion yet for this project?

theroadwayone

Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2018, 11:36:31 PM
Is there an estimated date of completion yet for this project?
AFAIK The signage is scheduled to be fully changed out by May, and the first connecting ramps will be done by the fall. As for the rest, I don't know.

roadman65

No one has mentioned Pennsy's schedule as they have to do some changes there too.  I know that they could keep the old numbers as it would not hurt just as IDOT uses I-270's mileage for I-70 east of I-55, and I can name other such  places where a new number takes over a freeway and still keeps the scheme going and not just Turnpikes either.

Is PennDOT going to renumber PA 413, US 1, PA 232, and the New Hope & Yardley interchanges?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on January 27, 2018, 07:30:31 PM
No one has mentioned Pennsy's schedule as they have to do some changes there too.  I know that they could keep the old numbers as it would not hurt just as IDOT uses I-270's mileage for I-70 east of I-55, and I can name other such  places where a new number takes over a freeway and still keeps the scheme going and not just Turnpikes either.

Is PennDOT going to renumber PA 413, US 1, PA 232, and the New Hope & Yardley interchanges?
Yes, since it's a new highway beginning there.

akotchi

The two I-95 ramps are supposed to be open in August.

The NJDOT website on the sign project includes a schedule:
-- New Jersey Exits 2 to 8 -- January to March (by NJDOT)
-- Scudder Falls Bridge area (Pa. Exit 51 to NJ Exit 1) -- March/April (by DRJTBC)
-- Pennsylvania Exits 44 to 49 -- May to August (by PennDOT)
-- Separately, and in parallel, the New Jersey Turnpike will be changing their signs to include the I-95 routing between now and then.
-- PTC has many of their signs up already, either covered or easily changeable.

The page also discusses exit number changes.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

wilbur_the_goose

I drove across the PA/NJ connector bridge into PA today.   Just past the end of the bridge, on the right side of the road was an I-276 sign.  About 2' behind it, tarped over, was another interstate sign, but this was the 2-digit width.   I'm assuming it's I-95 under there.

roadman65

So exciting to see history in the making.  We get to see it all first hand and see what has been a problem for well over 4 decades get solved. 

I only wish I lived up there to see it during the next several months.   To some of you will see what many of us old timers saw back in the 1970's take place, and that is the interstate system get built or take over other highways that preexisted.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Wonder if the NJTA might depart from their usual practice and install SOUTH I-95 reassurance assemblies on (what is now) the westbound side of their Pennsylvania Turnpike connector road?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.