News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

They started changing the exit numbers on Rt. 29 approaching 295. The exit tabs now say Exit 1 A - B. The signage on the ramp has the yellow Formerly Exit 60 A-B tabs.  (Edited to add they added the 'Formerly 60 A-B' tabs to all the BGSs on Rt. 29 approaching the interchange).

They did NOT do a complete sign change, so the button copy signage original to the 1994~ opening of Rt. 29 remains.

On 295 North, all the signage has been changed to reflect I-95 at Exits 56 and 60 except for the 1 Mile advanced sign for Exit 56. Being this is an easy to reach ground mounted sign, I wonder if NJDOT actually found an issue that they weren't satisfied with.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on May 01, 2018, 10:04:56 PM
Quote from: theroadwayone on April 29, 2018, 03:26:28 AM
In order to get this thread back on topic, anyone notice that Google Maps hasn't changed the designations of I-95 and I-295 in New Jersey?

I have noticed. I also noticed that Mapquest and Waze have renumbered the Trenton section as I-295.

Apple Maps hasn't done so either.  Yet, there is 1 (2 if you zoom in) set of I-95 shields just south of I-195. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

akotchi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 01, 2018, 10:09:57 PM
They started changing the exit numbers on Rt. 29 approaching 295. The exit tabs now say Exit 1 A - B. The signage on the ramp has the yellow Formerly Exit 60 A-B tabs.  (Edited to add they added the 'Formerly 60 A-B' tabs to all the BGSs on Rt. 29 approaching the interchange).

They did NOT do a complete sign change, so the button copy signage original to the 1994~ opening of Rt. 29 remains.

On 295 North, all the signage has been changed to reflect I-95 at Exits 56 and 60 except for the 1 Mile advanced sign for Exit 56. Being this is an easy to reach ground mounted sign, I wonder if NJDOT actually found an issue that they weren't satisfied with.

As a result of this, there are two 1A's and two 1B's in the eastbound direction.  The two U.S. 206 exit numbers should have been changed first to avoid the duplication.  I saw this this evening when I passed through there.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

roadman65

Hopefully now the TO I-95 signs WB for I-295 N Bound will be tossed.  I imagine the TO US 1 will remain due to the tunnel restriction to some trucks, but Princeton will stay no doubt.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

akotchi

I-295 has entered Pennsylvania.

Taken 5/27/18, Taylorsville Road NB approaching I-95/I-295.  First appearance of West cardinal direction.  Same view as a photo upthread of previous signs.  This also reflects how the transition from north/south to east-west is being handled, at least from one of the interchanges on the river.  I have not looked at the NJ 29 treatments yet.

Note the small I-95 south route marker assembly still in the background.

No pull-thrus or confirmations in Pa show I-295 yet, but this and the Yardley/Newtown exit numbers have been changed to 10 and 8, respectively, and the latter southbound only.  Overheads on Pa 332 (new Exit 8) still show I-95.

These changes are probably limited to Delaware River Toll Bridge Commission areas and work zones for the Scudder Falls Bridge replacement.  PennDOT's changes may not be scheduled yet.

There are still isolated locations scattered in New Jersey along I-295 or interchange roadways where the sign changes have not been fully executed, which I find to be strange . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Roadsguy

Did the DRJTBC ever use Clearview? They definitely don't anymore. That sign on the left looks great, but the Princeton on the right is a little squeezed together.

Is this interchange as far as I-295 has made it so far? Isn't it fully switched over in NJ by now?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

bzakharin

So the DRJTBC-controlled portion of 295 is North-South? I thought the whole point of switching the direction at the state line was to avoid situations like the above where one direction is West and the other is South.

jeffandnicole

The signage shown (295 South) is the ramp getting onto former I-95 North at the Scudder Falls Bridge.  You're only on (new) 295 East for about 1/4 mile before the PA/NJ State Line without any exiting options, so there's no reason to sign it as such.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2018, 09:24:10 PM
Hopefully now the TO I-95 signs WB for I-295 N Bound will be tossed.  I imagine the TO US 1 will remain due to the tunnel restriction to some trucks, but Princeton will stay no doubt.
I drove by there this past weekend, all the signage for I-295 Northbound along I-195 Westbound have since been replaced with ones that just list TO 1 alongside the I-295 shield on them.  The lone exception is the 2-mile advance BGS which simply just lists the lone I-295 shield rather than the 295 TO 1 95 legend.

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 31, 2018, 12:58:22 PMDid the DRJTBC ever use Clearview? They definitely don't anymore. That sign on the left looks great, but the Princeton on the right is a little squeezed together.
For some reason, this seems to be the issue with every BGS in this area that has Princeton placed over the previous legend(s).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

It used to be Trenton which used less lettering.

Sheryl Crowe

mdthomas8368

Quote from: roadman65 on June 01, 2018, 10:13:34 PM
Looks as if they just placed  Prince   over the   Tren, leaving the   ton   as it was. 
edit:  looking closer at the pic, maybe not.

roadman65

No just the same size panel in the same location.  Unlike PennDOT who loves to patch and paste changes on signs.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: mdthomas8368 on June 02, 2018, 09:17:49 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 01, 2018, 10:13:34 PM
Looks as if they just placed  Prince   over the   Tren, leaving the   ton   as it was. 
edit:  looking closer at the pic, maybe not.
That would be too... I don't know if "cute" is the word I'm going for, but that.

Roadsguy

Are those signs even greenouts, or are they totally new signs with the same shape and size? They'd have to have greened-out nearly the entire sign...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

akotchi

Quote from: Roadsguy on June 02, 2018, 11:28:51 PM
Are those signs even greenouts, or are they totally new signs with the same shape and size? They'd have to have greened-out nearly the entire sign...
The signs in my photo are new signs -- I checked them again today when I was up there -- that are the same size as the previous panels.  Princeton is a longer message than Trenton (by about 2 feet), so the spacing on the former had to be tightened to fit in the same space.

J N Winkler

I wonder if "Princeton" was squeezed onto a same-size sign panel to avoid having to redo load calculations for the sign structure.  This may or may not be related, but PennDOT is one of very few state DOTs that regard drawings for sign structures as critical infrastructure information that is not to be released to the public.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jeffandnicole

At least in the location pictured above:

Remember: this is an active construction site for the new Scudder Falls Bridge. This signs are only going to be there for another year. They're not going to create an entirely new sign just to remove it months later. The final product in a few years should have an appropriately sized sign.

akotchi

Some new photos to post, from last weekend (6/2/18)

(Left) The first appearance of I-295 East on a guide sign.  Route 332 WB approaching interchange (new Exit 8).  Interestingly, none of the route marker assemblies posted there had the "east" banner -- no banner at all, in fact.
(Right) A new I-295 confirmation assembly, south of the new Exit 8.  Suitably ugly for the treatment is represents, but that is my own opinion.

A change to the control city posting for the U.S. 1 interchange (new Exit 5, old Exit 46, older Exit 29).  Even "southbound," Trenton is to be used for U.S. 1 North.  Both were taken the same day -- the 2-mile panels had been changed, but the 1-mile panels had not.  They have since then.  Also a nice way to represent the recent exit numbering history of this area, as the old sign still has the previous exit number reference on it.

Milemarkers are also changing in Pa, but that is for a later post of photos.  More to come as more progress is made.

Edited to add:  All guide sign changes shown here are overlays of the previous information.

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on June 08, 2018, 01:11:33 PM
Some new photos to post, from last weekend (6/2/18)

(Left) The first appearance of I-295 East on a guide sign.  Route 332 WB approaching interchange (new Exit 8).  Interestingly, none of the route marker assemblies posted there had the "east" banner -- no banner at all, in fact.
(Right) A new I-295 confirmation assembly, south of the new Exit 8.  Suitably ugly for the treatment is represents, but that is my own opinion.

PennDOT (at least this district (#6?)) has been using bubble-style 3-digit Interstate shields for a while.  At least this one uses Series C numerals.  The bubble I-276 and I-476 shields I've seen out in the wild have Series D numerals that are either squished together (476) or somewhat elongated (276).

Quote from: akotchi on June 08, 2018, 01:11:33 PM
A change to the control city posting for the U.S. 1 interchange (new Exit 5, old Exit 46, older Exit 29).  Even "southbound," Trenton is to be used for U.S. 1 North.  Both were taken the same day -- the 2-mile panels had been changed, but the 1-mile panels had not.  They have since then.  Also a nice way to represent the recent exit numbering history of this area, as the old sign still has the previous exit number reference on it.

As of this past Tuesday (6/5/18), the northbound BGS' for that interchange weren't (yet) changed.  While returning from Trenton that afternoon, I don't believe that the Exit 46A ramp BGS for US 1 northbound had its exit number and control city yet changed.  Additionally, the ramp from US 1 northbound to I-95 northbound wasn't changed/revised either.  It still lists Trenton rather than Princeton per its US 1 southbound counterpart.

Personally, I would've only changed the northbound I-95 signs for US 1 northbound to Trenton and left the ones along I-95 southbound as they were (Morrisville).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

74/171FAN

QuotePennDOT (at least this district (#6?)) has been using bubble-style 3-digit Interstate shields for a while.  At least this one uses Series C numerals.  The bubble I-276 and I-476 shields I've seen out in the wild have Series D numerals that are either squished together (476) or somewhat elongated (276).

This would be District 6 since it is in Bucks County.  I would not know about PennDOT in general in regards to the signage.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 09, 2018, 08:10:46 AM
QuotePennDOT (at least this district (#6?)) has been using bubble-style 3-digit Interstate shields for a while.  At least this one uses Series C numerals.  The bubble I-276 and I-476 shields I've seen out in the wild have Series D numerals that are either squished together (476) or somewhat elongated (276).

This would be District 6 since it is in Bucks County.  I would not know about PennDOT in general.

http://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffices/Pages/default.aspx

ixnay

Beltway

It won't be long before someone says, "Hey!  Where is District 7?"
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

davewiecking

Quote from: Beltway on June 09, 2018, 08:19:35 PM
It won't be long before someone says, "Hey!  Where is District 7?"
That was indeed my reaction a few hours ago...but I wasn't curious enough to Google it, or even search this thread. I assumed a reorganization in the past?

Beeper1

"We're with the DOT.  District 7." - Agent K

Beltway

Quote from: Beeper1 on June 09, 2018, 08:37:48 PM
"We're with the DOT.  District 7." - Agent K

An attempt to take over a part of New Jersey?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.