News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

So, I did a few quick routes to see what the time difference was. 

Remember...the closest parallel route may not be the best free route.  And for something like US 1 as you mentioned, that road actually moves quite well, even in rush hour traffic (especially away from the traffic lights).

The below times and mileage are taken from Google Maps.  You'll have to type the cities in yourself to get exact directions and travel times, which can change slightly due to time of day, accidents, etc. 

Newark, DE to New Haven, CT:
Shortest way, involving toll roads: 225 Miles, 3 hours 51 minutes.
Cheapest way, no toll roads or bridges: 235 Miles, 4 hours 24 minutes.

Newark, DE to Albany, NY:
Tolls: 270 Miles, 4 hours 12 minutes
No Tolls: 274 Miles, 5 hours 52 minutes

So as you see, you're not really putting any significant extra mileage on your car, and in the case of DE to CT, for 30 minutes extra travel time you're saving upwards of $25 - $30!

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 20, 2018, 09:37:28 AM
So, I did a few quick routes to see what the time difference was. 

Remember...the closest parallel route may not be the best free route.  And for something like US 1 as you mentioned, that road actually moves quite well, even in rush hour traffic (especially away from the traffic lights).
Away from traffic lights is just a tiny portion of the route if you're looking for a long-distance alternative in NJ.

The below times and mileage are taken from Google Maps.  You'll have to type the cities in yourself to get exact directions and travel times, which can change slightly due to time of day, accidents, etc. 

Newark, DE to New Haven, CT:
Shortest way, involving toll roads: 225 Miles, 3 hours 51 minutes.
Cheapest way, no toll roads or bridges: 235 Miles, 4 hours 24 minutes.
You are paying for the Tappan Zee (sorry, Cuomo) bridge on that "toll free" route

Newark, DE to Albany, NY:
Tolls: 270 Miles, 4 hours 12 minutes
No Tolls: 274 Miles, 5 hours 52 minutes
Even if those times are realistic (which they're not) you've just increased your travel time by 40%

jeffandnicole

Yeah, I trusted Google Maps when I said 'No Tolls'...didn't look closely to see that they still involved a toll!

Roadsguy

Less than two days for the earliest possible opening! (Weather looks good this weekend, so it could only be delayed if the PTC, NJTA, or PennDOT mess up the signs.)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

02 Park Ave

One would have to drive all the way to Albany to avoid paying an eastbound toll to cross the Hudson River and continue to New Haven.  But then the NYSBA EZPass tolls are only $1.25.

As all of the toll bridges have their one-way toll in the direction leaving NJ, returning here is a whole another story.  New Haven CT to Newark DE could be close to the example cited for the reverse journey.
C-o-H

famartin

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 20, 2018, 10:23:36 AM
Less than two days for the earliest possible opening! (Weather looks good this weekend, so it could only be delayed if the PTC, NJTA, or PennDOT mess up the signs.)
Opening now scheduled for 5AM Saturday per KYW
https://kywnewsradio.radio.com/articles/news/pa-turnpike-commission-reaches-milestone-new-i-95-interchange

Alps

Just gonna throw in here that from the I-80/287 junction, it is equally fast to take 287, 206-Great Road or 202-31, what's now I-295 to I-95 and head south toward Baltimore/DC as it is to take NJ 24, GS Parkway, NJ Tpk to the same. And much cheaper.

SignBridge

Anyone want to take bets whether the remaining proposed ramps for this interchange get built in the near future or ever get built at all? At the speed the PTC does these projects, I'll bet I won't see it in my lifetime.

Beltway

Quote from: SignBridge on September 20, 2018, 09:13:05 PM
Anyone want to take bets whether the remaining proposed ramps for this interchange get built in the near future or ever get built at all? At the speed the PTC does these projects, I'll bet I won't see it in my lifetime.

Are these projects scheduled yet?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

MantyMadTown

Forget the I-41 haters

qguy

Quote from: Beltway on September 20, 2018, 09:34:28 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on September 20, 2018, 09:13:05 PM

Those are Sections D30 and D40. (The current flyovers are Sections D10 and D20.) They have not been scheduled for construction yet; they're scheduled to go to final design this year if they haven't already.

When I was the Philadelphia representative on the Community Design Coordination Committee (or whatever it was called, memory fails) from around 1992 to  around 2002, the locals in the immediate vicinity of the project area felt very strongly that if so much I-95 corridor traffic was going to be shifted into their community, at least they would see a local benefit in the form of increased convenience for themselves.

When I spoke with the PA Turnpike engineer and Jacobs Engineering engineer at the Golden Spike Meet, they assured me that they and their colleagues were keenly aware of the "promise"  forged with the locals over the years. For their part, the two of them were obviously very enthusiastic about the entire project, and were personally committed to pushing the organization toward completing the entire project. They said the PTC remains committed to completing it.

As with anything, it's a matter of funding. The original federal contribution was not nearly enough to pay for entire project. In fact, the current construction has exhausted the federal funding. So now we wait. No one, not even at the PTC, has a precise answer as to when the remaining ramps will be built.

If I were forced to make a prediction, I'd say they'll start construction possibly within five years, almost certainly within ten (real bold on my part, eh?), if only because anything farther out would be a political scandal.

qguy

Just notice the following message on the project website:

Highway Advisory I-276 between Bensalem and Delaware Valley: Planned Turnpike Closure September 22, 2018. Last Updated: 9/19/2018 5:43:08 PM
The Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 276) will be closed in both directions Saturday, September 22nd from 12:01AM until 6AM, between the Bensalem Exit #351 & the Delaware Valley Exit #358. The closure is required for I-95 sign re-designation & opening of the I-95 flyovers.

theroadwayone

Quote from: qguy on September 20, 2018, 10:52:35 PM

Highway Advisory I-276 between Bensalem and Delaware Valley: Planned Turnpike Closure September 22, 2018. Last Updated: 9/19/2018 5:43:08 PM
The Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 276) will be closed in both directions Saturday, September 22nd from 12:01AM until 6AM, between the Bensalem Exit #351 & the Delaware Valley Exit #358. The closure is required for I-95 sign re-designation & opening of the I-95 flyovers.
It's happening.

Beltway

Quote from: qguy on September 20, 2018, 10:45:41 PM
Quote from: Beltway on September 20, 2018, 09:34:28 PM
Those are Sections D30 and D40. (The current flyovers are Sections D10 and D20.) They have not been scheduled for construction yet; they're scheduled to go to final design this year if they haven't already.
[....]

It would be helpful if they would include a cost estimate, but given the amount of bridgework surely it will be expensive.

https://www.patpconstruction.com/paturnpikei95/section-d30-d40.aspx
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Steve D

Quote from: qguy on September 20, 2018, 10:52:35 PM

Is there anything being done on the NJ side ?  Are they just removing the panels from the Exit 6 signs that cover the I-95 shields, or are there any other signs going up?

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve D on September 21, 2018, 08:42:09 AMIs there anything being done on the NJ side ?  Are they just removing the panels from the Exit 6 signs that cover the I-95 shields, or are there any other signs going up?
I don't know about other signs going up per se; but there are still several sign panels along/near the NJ Turnpike that need to have I-95 shields placed on them.  Additionally, that 3-mile advance (Clearview) BGS for the US 13 interchange (formerly known as the Delaware Valleyinterchange) will need to have its EXIT number tab changed from 358 to 42.

Tid bit (& I noticed such towards the end of the meet): there does not seem to be any new/covered signage at the US 13 interchange from the former interchange toll plaza location to and along US 13/Bristol Pike itself.  Meaning there's no hint of its new I-95 identity at this interchange (off the Turnpike) as of yet.
Once these new ramps open, the only traffic movement issue I see, and one or two others commented on such during the meet, is that I-95 northbounders seeking to get on US 13 at Exit 358/42 will need to cross-over two lanes in order to reach the ramp.  Such can be more of a challenge should traffic along/from I-276 be heavier.

All of us at the meet had to do such towards the end and were successful (nobody I know of accidentally overshot the exit & wound up in NJ); but then again, I-276 eastbound traffic was relatively light at the time.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Quote from: theroadwayone on September 20, 2018, 11:21:25 PM
It's happening.

Check my countdown at 11am when the ceremony starts. :colorful:

EDIT: Scratch that, check after midnight when they close it for the sign changes.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

J N Winkler

Quote from: qguy on September 20, 2018, 10:45:41 PMThose are Sections D30 and D40. (The current flyovers are Sections D10 and D20.) They have not been scheduled for construction yet; they're scheduled to go to final design this year if they haven't already.

Has there been a decision on who advertises the projects for construction?  PennDOT advertised the current project, notwithstanding the plans having PTC plan sheet collars.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

akotchi

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 21, 2018, 09:41:10 AM
Quote from: theroadwayone on September 20, 2018, 11:21:25 PM
It's happening.

Check my countdown at 11am when the ceremony starts. :colorful:

EDIT: Scratch that, check after midnight when they close it for the sign changes.

Well, the ceremony, at least, did happen.  Just got back from it.    Many politicians (federal, state and local) and higher-level transportation agency folks spoke.  Audience included a large number of past and present participants in various aspects of the project over the years and folks from several other agencies (Delaware River Toll Bridge Commission, for instance).  I estimate around 400 people or so.  I did not see any New Jersey folks (DOT or TA) in my mingling.  There was a symbolic ribbon cutting, but my view was blocked by many folks rushing the stage to film it.

Confirmed that the closures would still occur tonight (based on weather outlook).  Project folks I spoke to were not thrilled that the internally targeted time of opening (5:00 a.m. tomorrow) was reported to the media, because of the potential for vehicles queuing up on the I-95 NB shoulder waiting for the opening.  (Who would be thinking of doing that -- not me . . .   :biggrin:)  Officially, it is Monday morning rush hour, with the earliest being 5:00 a.m. tomorrow if all goes well with the sign changes.

Edited to add link to PTC press release.
https://www.paturnpike.com/press/2018/20180921112832.htm
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

bzakharin

I suppose it's kind of sad that due to where I live in southern NJ there is absolutely zero chance of me ever needing that interchange unless I'm going somewhere right next to it, and even then there would be at least one alternate (and cheaper) route that would not take any more time. Now if they ever build the remaining ramps I could envision it as an alternative route to get to the Poconos (Betsy Ross Bridge to I-95 North to I-276 West to I-476 North) or places along now-295 in PA (NJ Turnpike North to I-95 South to I-295 East). Even those are a bit of a stretch.

theroadwayone

I'm sorry for the fact that I had to do this...well, I'm not sorry...but I had to do this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZKdoHs06g

1995hoo

I'm sorry you have the wrong Valjean in that video.  :-D :-D :-D

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

motorway

Now that we've reached this point, will there actually be an ongoing effort to complete the multiple remaining missing movements at the interchange? Or will this be similar to the Second Avenue Subway in which there is the tacit common sentiment that we were lucky enough to get part of a public works project opened and best not to press our luck with actually completing the entire vision?

theroadwayone

Quote from: motorway on September 21, 2018, 04:59:59 PM
Now that we've reached this point, will there actually be an ongoing effort to complete the multiple remaining missing movements at the interchange? Or will this be similar to the Second Avenue Subway in which there is the tacit common sentiment that we were lucky enough to get part of a public works project opened and best not to press our luck with actually completing the entire vision?
Last I heard, the other six interchange ramps were going into the final design phase. I sure hope that they can get it all done.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.