News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

The thing is that even nearby US 1 does not use Philly even though it goes through it.   So basically Philly has gotten the raw end of the stick just like even in MD with New York on I-95 from Baltimore northward.

Considering that having the NJ Turnpike not using it is nothing else new.

Anyway, the NJ Turnpike was originally intended to be a bypass of Philadelphia and has no real freeway to it.  NJ 42 has no connection to it.  NJ 90 was scrapped as well.  So up until now only did Philly and NYC have a direct freeway.

Now things could easily change.  Maybe in ten years when the current signs become old or a change in MUTCD, the NJTA might consider Philadelphia, but not anytime soon.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: roadman65 on November 05, 2018, 02:20:01 PM
The thing is that even nearby US 1 does not use Philly even though it goes through it.   So basically Philly has gotten the raw end of the stick just like even in MD with New York on I-95 from Baltimore northward.
I assume you are talking about US 1 in New Jersey. US 1 is a local road. Nobody would take US 1 all the way from Trenton to Philly.
I-295 used to sign Philadelphia at the US 1 interchange when it used become I-95 there. Those signs are all gone, but US 1 still has Philadelphia as the control city for "I-295 North TO I-95 South" (which may also explain why US 1 itself isn't signed "Philadelphia"), as do US 206 and NJ 31.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on November 05, 2018, 02:48:07 PM
Nobody would take US 1 all the way from Trenton to Philly.

Sure they would.  US 1 runs directly into Philly about 15 miles from Trenton. 

It also depends where in Philly one wants to go.  If they want to go to Center City, it may not make sense.  But if they're going to Somerton or Bustleton, it makes perfect sense.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on November 05, 2018, 02:48:07 PMI-295 used to sign Philadelphia at the US 1 interchange when it used become I-95 there. Those signs are all gone, but US 1 still has Philadelphia as the control city for "I-295 North TO I-95 South" (which may also explain why US 1 itself isn't signed "Philadelphia"), as do US 206 and NJ 31.
It does.  At that interchange, US 1 Southbound is signed for Trenton & Morrisville.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

I assume you are talking about US 1 in New Jersey. US 1 is a local road. Nobody would take US 1 all the way from Trenton to Philly.
I-295 used to sign Philadelphia at the US 1 interchange when it used become I-95 there. Those signs are all gone, but US 1 still has Philadelphia as the control city for "I-295 North TO I-95 South" (which may also explain why US 1 itself isn't signed "Philadelphia"), as do US 206 and NJ 31.
Depends on where you are starting and where you are ending.  If you are going to the northwestern parts of the city, and are starting fairy close to US 1 in Trenton or points northeast, then US 1 all the way may well be the right way to go, or at least have only a modest reduction in time compared to hopping on I-295/I-95.

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 05, 2018, 02:56:16 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on November 05, 2018, 02:48:07 PMI-295 used to sign Philadelphia at the US 1 interchange when it used become I-95 there. Those signs are all gone, but US 1 still has Philadelphia as the control city for "I-295 North TO I-95 South" (which may also explain why US 1 itself isn't signed "Philadelphia"), as do US 206 and NJ 31.
It does.  At that interchange, US 1 Southbound is signed for Trenton & Morrisville.

BTW, one thing the signing/designation of I-295 fixed was the silliness of not signing Trenton at the US 1 exit in PA (Formerly Exit 46, maybe Exit 5 now? I don't recall).  Formerly, US 1 was signed as just Morrisville, while even on US 1 NB, US 1 NB was signed for Morrisville while I-95 NB was signed for Trenton (which made ZERO sense if you were actually going to Trenton). 

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on November 05, 2018, 03:10:43 PMBTW, one thing the signing/designation of I-295 fixed was the silliness of not signing Trenton at the US 1 exit in PA (Formerly Exit 46, maybe Exit 5 now? I don't recall).  Formerly, US 1 was signed as just Morrisville, while even on US 1 NB, US 1 NB was signed for Morrisville while I-95 NB was signed for Trenton (which made ZERO sense if you were actually going to Trenton).
I completely agree.  Although for the US 1 North ramp signage along I-295 Westbound/Delaware Expressway Southbound, IMHO, could've kept its Morrisville legend for the simple reason that the traffic in that direction (I-295 West) is already coming from the Trenton area.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

qguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 05, 2018, 02:52:45 PM
Nobody would take US 1 all the way from Trenton to Philly.

Sure they would.  US 1 runs directly into Philly about 15 miles from Trenton. 

In fact, US 1 is THE way between Northeast Phila and Trenton, unless you live close to an I-95 interchange, in which case you'd take I-95 (and old I-95) to US 1 to Trenton. But you'd still use US 1.

US 1 is a freeway for the entire distance except for a short length just outside the Phila border. It's very convenient.

When I lived in Northeast Phila, I used the US 1 expressway every time I drove to Trenton and back.

roadman65

US 1 is all freeway from Business US 1 in Lawrence to PA 132 in Trevose, PA.  It could be another great route into Philly from Central Jersey.

Though I was talking about in North Jersey as Trenton was always the main control city going SB from Newark and that Philadelphia never made it on any signs the rest of the way in NJ.  Yes some decades ago Philly was used in Newark, but never appeared again since.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

I thought I saw Philadelphia mentioned near one of the smaller Delaware river bridges up north. I think it wasn't pointing across the bridge, but south on some minor state or county road in NJ.

roadman65

There is one on NJ 179 at CR 579 in Ringoes pointing further south on NJ 179. That is leftover from when US 202 went through Ringoes (and been copied over for some time) but the intention was to follow old US 202 (now 179) and to PA 263 and use that one into Philly basically using the Old York Road alignment south of there.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 04, 2018, 11:01:26 PM
Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on November 04, 2018, 07:37:39 AMBased on the NJTA sign plans, the only control cities used on the SB Turnpike are Newark, Trenton, Camden, and Wilmington. Once you're at exit 6, I-95 SB is signed "Penn Turnpike - Philadelphia" on the Pearl Harbor Extension.

Where are you finding these sign plans?

I saw sign plans on the NJ Turnpike Authority website. There are a few examples in PDFs. I don't know if there's a 2018 version. What's online is from 2015 or 2016.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on November 10, 2018, 03:09:16 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on November 04, 2018, 11:01:26 PM
Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on November 04, 2018, 07:37:39 AMBased on the NJTA sign plans, the only control cities used on the SB Turnpike are Newark, Trenton, Camden, and Wilmington. Once you're at exit 6, I-95 SB is signed "Penn Turnpike - Philadelphia" on the Pearl Harbor Extension.

Where are you finding these sign plans?

I saw sign plans on the NJ Turnpike Authority website. There are a few examples in PDFs. I don't know if there's a 2018 version. What's online is from 2015 or 2016.

That stuff is typically updated as needed.  Since the Turnpike has all new pull-thru signage, there doesn't appear to be any reason to update it anytime soon.

PHLBOS

FYI; as of this past weekend, no additional I-95 shields have yet been added to the existing NJTP signs between Exits 8A and the Delaware River Bridge.  There are still some blank spaces on those signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 19, 2018, 09:04:25 AM
FYI; as of this past weekend, no additional I-95 shields have yet been added to the existing NJTP signs between Exits 8A and the Delaware River Bridge.  There are still some blank spaces on those signs.
I noticed that, too, on the ramps at Exit 6A -- I was on them Saturday afternoon, expecting to see updates on those panels, but no change there, either . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jeffandnicole

Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday will be the ultimate tests of how the region processes traffic with the new 95 routing.  It should be looked at from, say, Route 1 in Delaware to Exit 8 on the NJ Turnpike, as that will encompass all the possible routing options with 95, 295, 495 and the NJ Tpk.

It's also going to be a test to see how many people that follow the I-95 signage going south actually pay the open road toll.  That won't be known for a few months after the initial invoice goes out, along with the late notices.  Many people driving Thanksgiving weekend aren't used to the toll structure, and they're going to be surprised at a bill a month later when they already paid $10 or $20 in tolls.

Alps

NJDOT only took about 2 months to get the NJ 18 shields up when that was completed. Can the NJTA really be slower?!

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on November 19, 2018, 11:57:22 PM
NJDOT only took about 2 months to get the NJ 18 shields up when that was completed. Can the NJTA really be slower?!

I think it's more a question of how much they care. I'm pretty sure the answer is very little.

odditude

Quote from: storm2k on November 20, 2018, 02:32:38 AM

I think it's more a question of how much they care. I'm pretty sure the answer is very little.

was it in this FY budget? even if it was, given the number of delays in the project as a whole, it wouldn't surprise me if the funds were reallocated when someone hedged against the two ramps actually being completed this year.

PHLBOS

Quote from: odditude on November 20, 2018, 09:59:39 AM

was it in this FY budget? even if it was, given the number of delays in the project as a whole, it wouldn't surprise me if the funds were reallocated when someone hedged against the two ramps actually being completed this year.
Given that some of NJTA's signs were modified when the ramps opened, that reasoning falls flat; especially since NJDOT has long since modified their applicable signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

odditude

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 20, 2018, 11:23:28 AM

Given that some of NJTA's signs were modified when the ramps opened, that reasoning falls flat; especially since NJDOT has long since modified their applicable signs.

NJDOT and NJTA budgeting would be completely independent, so NJDOT's completion isn't really relevant here. as for the partial completion - you're absolutely right, unless NJTA allows for budget lines to be partially reallocated.

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 20, 2018, 11:23:28 AM

If I understand correctly, aside from a single new I-95 reassurance marker, only signs already sporting I-95 shields were uncovered, i.e. no new signs or modifications occurred in NJTA land.

PHLBOS

Quote from: odditude on November 20, 2018, 01:19:19 PM
NJDOT and NJTA budgeting would be completely independent, so NJDOT's completion isn't really relevant here.
Fair enough.
Quote from: odditude on November 20, 2018, 01:19:19 PMas for the partial completion - you're absolutely right, unless NJTA allows for budget lines to be partially reallocated.
Additionally & as stated multiple times upthread; NJTA, IMHO, has/had absolutely no excuse not to sign the Turnpike north of Exit 7A as I-95 since the early 90s (when I-195 connected to at least the northern stretch of I-295).  The signs erected during the recent widening (from roughly Exit 8A down to Exit 6) project included blank spaces large enough to accommodate the I-95 shields.  Had NJTA placed shields on all of the applicable signs north of Exit 7A when such were first erected; the number of remaining sign updates & limits of work would've been much smaller (& less costly).

Quote from: bzakharin on November 20, 2018, 01:30:39 PMIf I understand correctly, aside from a single new I-95 reassurance marker, only signs already sporting I-95 shields were uncovered, i.e. no new signs or modifications occurred in NJTA land.
This sign has since had an I-95 shield placed on it.  Even more odd was that the sign legend layout wasn't originally planned for two shields (the NJTP shield & NORTH cardinal would've been positioned more towards the right).  Had the control city legend just read New York rather than New York City; there may not have been room for the I-95 shield.  Definite oversight on either part of the fabricator and/or designer.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on November 20, 2018, 02:26:15 PM
I didn't take pictures of it (shame on me) but I think the pull-throughs at the US 130 exit also have had 95 shields posted on them.
As of this past Saturday; yes for the south/westbound pull-throughs; no for the north/eastbound pull-throughs. 

Descriptions & links merged together in the below-quotes:
Here are the pull-throughs at Exit 6 that I do have before and after's of:

Mainline northbound before

Mainline northbound after
Good to know regarding that one; such hasn't received much press coverage as of late.

Penn Extension northbound before

Penn Extension northbound after

As mentioned in my previous post; I would like to know what the designer/fabricator was thinking when those northbound pull-through signs were made with regards to the centering of the NJTP NORTH legend.  It appears that both signs were designed for only one route shield in mind rather than two.

For comparison purposes regarding the centering for signs with (ultimately) two route shields.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.