Checkerboard crosswalks and stop lines—was this ever standard?

Started by briantroutman, March 04, 2014, 04:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

On this 1970-71 ad for Honda's first US-bound car, the N600, I noticed some odd pavement markings–checkerboard lines marking stops, crosswalk edges, as well as the continuation of centerlines within crosswalks. Was this ever standard?

And any guesses on where this is set? Given that Honda's US marketing arm is based in Southern California, I would assume somewhere in the region.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: briantroutman on March 04, 2014, 04:57:15 PM
On this 1970-71 ad for Honda's first US-bound car, the N600, I noticed some odd pavement markings–checkerboard lines marking stops, crosswalk edges, as well as the continuation of centerlines within crosswalks. Was this ever standard?

And any guesses on where this is set? Given that Honda's US marketing arm is based in Southern California, I would assume somewhere in the region.

These were very common to delimit pedestrian crosswalks on state-maintained highways in Maryland in the 1960's - I had to cross such a road to get to my elementary school - I believe the State Roads Commission replaced them on a somewhat regular basis, they were 1/4" white reflective-coated "pads" that were somehow glued or otherwise affixed (perhaps they were heated and then installed while hot?) to the pavement (concrete in those days) in a perfect checkerboard pattern.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hotdogPi

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 05, 2014, 08:46:37 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on March 04, 2014, 04:57:15 PM

These were very common to delimit pedestrian crosswalks on state-maintained highways in Maryland in the 1960's - I had to cross such a road to get to my elementary school - I believe the State Roads Commission replaced them on a somewhat regular basis, they were 1/4" white reflective-coated "pads" that were somehow glued or otherwise affixed (perhaps they were heated and then installed while hot?) to the pavement (concrete in those days) in a perfect checkerboard pattern.

Congratulations, post #5000!
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

KEK Inc.

Streetlight seems like something only California would have.  California tends to have a lot of the stone textured masts with a standard mast arm in many municipalities since the 1960s.
Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.