News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois 16

Started by bugo, March 17, 2014, 01:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Why doesn't this highway just end at IL 100?  It duplexes with IL 100  for a few miles and ends...at a driveway.  IL 100 continues and crosses a drawbridge and comes to a stop in Hardin where one must turn right to continue on the highway.  That would be a better ending spot than the actual one.  Don't get me wrong, it's cool that the highway has such a stupid endpoint, but I wonder the logic of it.

Brandon

Beats me.  It always struck me as a strange endpoint as well.  Maybe to give Calhoun County another state route?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US 41

Did SR 16 used to run on Clinton Road northeast of Paris? It would make since, since SR 163 in Indiana ends (turns into) at Paris Road.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Brandon

Quote from: US 41 on March 17, 2014, 08:42:17 AM
Did SR 16 used to run on Clinton Road northeast of Paris? It would make since, since SR 163 in Indiana ends (turns into) at Paris Road.

As far as I know, no.  IL-16, IIRC, ran east along what is now US-150 there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

I never liked those useless multiplexes. It would be better to truncate one or the other, or to turn one route onto another road, giving it a new number.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: Henry on March 17, 2014, 03:46:13 PM
I never liked those useless multiplexes. It would be better to truncate one or the other, or to turn one route onto another road, giving it a new number.

There's more than a few of them in the state, and I'm not even going to touch on the silliness of IL-110.

- IL-116 is concurrent with IL-94 for 5 miles before ending at US-34.  IL-94 continues with US-34 east.
- IL-64 is concurrent with US-52 for about 29 miles just so it can meet IA-64.
- Until it was extended to meet Wis-67, IL-75 used to be concurrent with US-51 for 2 miles to meet I-90.
- When IL-129 used to continue south of Braidwood, it was concurrent with IL-53 for less than a mile to meet I-55.
- IL-48 is concurrent with IL-127 for 3 miles to meet I-55.
- IL-16 isn't just concurrent with IL-100 at an end, but with IL-133 as well.  Both IL-16 and IL-133 end at IL-1 in Paris.
- IL-5 ends at I-80 & I-88 concurrent with IL-92 (as does I-88, coincidentally).  It's an artifact of when I-88 was IL-5.
- IL-177 ends while concurrent with IL-158 in Belleville at IL-159.

SSOWorld

You think Illinois has a problem with ending highways? Ask Wisconsin!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

bugo

Quote from: Brandon on March 17, 2014, 03:57:14 PM
Quote from: Henry on March 17, 2014, 03:46:13 PM

There's more than a few of them in the state, and I'm not even going to touch on the silliness of IL-110.

- IL-116 is concurrent with IL-94 for 5 miles before ending at US-34.  IL-94 continues with US-34 east.
- IL-64 is concurrent with US-52 for about 29 miles just so it can meet IA-64.
- Until it was extended to meet Wis-67, IL-75 used to be concurrent with US-51 for 2 miles to meet I-90.
- When IL-129 used to continue south of Braidwood, it was concurrent with IL-53 for less than a mile to meet I-55.
- IL-48 is concurrent with IL-127 for 3 miles to meet I-55.
- IL-16 isn't just concurrent with IL-100 at an end, but with IL-133 as well.  Both IL-16 and IL-133 end at IL-1 in Paris.
- IL-5 ends at I-80 & I-88 concurrent with IL-92 (as does I-88, coincidentally).  It's an artifact of when I-88 was IL-5.
- IL-177 ends while concurrent with IL-158 in Belleville at IL-159.

Most of those make sense for route continuity.  The IL 16 example is just plain fucked.  Ending at a driveway?

bugo

Here's a poor quality Street View picture of the sign:

http://goo.gl/maps/4a8yg

Brandon

NE2

Probably for the same reason the end sign is rarely at the precise end: sign overload. They probably figured it would get lost among the truss, and there are already three shields and two directional signs at the end of the bridge. An end sign is of at best secondary importance to a traveler.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Start here and go forward to see photos of the signage I took when I was there last year.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on March 18, 2014, 10:55:21 AM
Probably for the same reason the end sign is rarely at the precise end: sign overload. They probably figured it would get lost among the truss, and there are already three shields and two directional signs at the end of the bridge. An end sign is of at best secondary importance to a traveler.

The Illinois River road is more important than IL 16?

NE2

Following something you're on is more important than knowing what you probably already know: that a route ends.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on March 18, 2014, 11:38:47 AM
Following something you're on is more important than knowing what you probably already know: that a route ends.

How would you know a route ends at a driveway otherwise?  Why not end it at IL 100?  That would cut down on sign clutter better than not putting an end sign at Hardin.

NE2

How do you know it doesn't end at the turn in IL 100? I challenge you to find a route that ends at an intersection and where the end sign is posted at the exact endpoint. I'll give an example where it's not: http://www.okhighways.com/ok1.html

Brandon

Quote from: bugo on March 18, 2014, 03:16:02 PM

How would you know a route ends at a driveway otherwise?  Why not end it at IL 100?  That would cut down on sign clutter better than not putting an end sign at Hardin.

That would be the famously-bad Collinsville District, IDOT District 8.  Yes, the same district that merely ripped off the I-70 shields on those signs on I-55/64 before the PSB.  District 8 is known for bad signage in the state.

Brandon

According to Rich Carlson,

In 1942 it was extended from Litchfield to Hardin, partially on the former IL-38.

While EB signs at the Joe Page Bridge at Hardin show IL-16 starting at the west side of the bridge, the westbound signage seems to show it starting east of the bridge...

IL-16 runs from IL-100 in Hardin to IL-133 in Paris thru Calhoun, Greene, Jersey, Macoupin, Montgomery, Christian, Shelby, Moultrie, Coles, and Edgar Counties. (122103)

Looking at the general highway map of Calhoun County (available here: http://www.dot.il.gov/maps/generalmaps1.html), FAP-304 (aka IL-16 and IL-100, and IL-96) continues through the county along signed IL-100 and IL-96.  It is marked as IL-16 and IL-100 near Hardin, but the end point is hard to tell.  IDOT claims IL-16 does indeed enter Calhoun County.  As that is the case, then it most certainly crosses the bridge to end at the intersection as the Illinois River is the county line there.

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on March 18, 2014, 03:19:32 PM
How do you know it doesn't end at the turn in IL 100? I challenge you to find a route that ends at an intersection and where the end sign is posted at the exact endpoint. I'll give an example where it's not: http://www.okhighways.com/ok1.html

Because the sign was prominently posted at the odd, random location. 

bugo

Quote from: Brandon on March 18, 2014, 03:19:35 PM
Quote from: bugo on March 18, 2014, 03:16:02 PM

That would be the famously-bad Collinsville District, IDOT District 8.  Yes, the same district that merely ripped off the I-70 shields on those signs on I-55/64 before the PSB.  District 8 is known for bad signage in the state.

They also took down all the I-44 signs leading up to the PSB, even though westbound I-44 runs along I-55 like it always did.

NE2

Quote from: bugo on March 18, 2014, 03:58:47 PM
Because the sign was prominently posted at the odd, random location. 
Before that is a vertical clearance sign, also posted at an 'odd, random location'. Or not.

hbelkins

The end sign for I-79 is immediately after the on-ramp from US 119 to southbound 79, probably a good mile from the actual terminus at I-77. No one would argue that the place where the sign is located is the actual physical end point of the route.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.