News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old Traffic Signals

Started by Alex, June 21, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Not a signal freak but I did come across this today:

It's an example of the G-YG-Y-RY-R phase that signals inside the Pittsburgh City Limits used in some neighborhoods until the mid-1980s.

This is from 1950.

http://pgdigs.tumblr.com/image/31395721775

dfnva

I'm not sure what the limitations to the definition of "old" are here, but I love Virginia's 1980's-era signals with the large backplates, a quickly-disappearing phenomenon. Once prevalent all over Virginia, they are all but gone with the exception of continued prevalence in the Richmond suburbs.

These are all screen captures from Google Earth.

This signal at US-60/Midlothian Tpk and Turner Rd in Chesterfield County has been replaced with new mast arms.

Very dated sign for the shopping center and old Marbelite signals on US-250/W. Broad St. in Henricho County. Likely looks the same as the scene would've in the 1980s.

Close up

US-250 at Parham Rd - one of the few times I have ever seen the signals with huge backpates on mast arms. It never seemed to be a prevalent practice in Virgina. The only two other times I've seen this are at US-50/Arlington Blvd at Manchester St. and SR-784/Dale Blvd at Cloverdale St in Dale City (Replaced in the late 1990s).

The pedistal signals in the median here used to be LFE Automatic signals with huge backplates. They were replaced with these Eagles in the late-2000's. On a side note, does anyone know the brand of signal indicated with the arrow? I've only seen it in Virginia, they were installed extensively in the 1990s.

US 50/Arlington Blvd at Manchester St in Arlington. When I drove by this signal a few days ago, it was still standing but new mast arms were in the process of being installed.

Unless I am mistaken, this will soon be the only remaining signal with large backplates in the Northern Virginia region. US-50 Emergency signal just west of SR-608/West Ox Road in Chantilly. Most were replaced by the early-to-mid 2000's.

Another cool older VDOT-operated signal somewhere in Chesterfield County on US-1.

Not an old signal, but in 2012, these McCains replaced what I believe were the final VDOT-operated Marbelites still in operation in Northern Virginia. As ubiquitous as McCains have become around here, at least the new signals retain the old practice of showing lane function with green arrows, particularly straight-ahead green arrows.

I'd love to see some other old pics of signals in VA if people have them.
-Dan

Ian

Quote from: dfnva on January 29, 2013, 10:03:46 PM
On a side note, does anyone know the brand of signal indicated with the arrow? I've only seen it in Virginia, they were installed extensively in the 1990s.

If my eyes are correct, it looks to be a Winko-Matic. Upstate New York has a lot of them. As far as Virginia signals go, I think the Econolites look the best. I do have photos of other Virginia signals, but they aren't very great.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

dfnva

Thanks... They do look like the signals in the NY picture, so they must be Winko-Matic. I'd wondered that for quite some time. I wonder if they're still manufactured? I've not seen one installed in VA since the mid-1990's. They're rare here in Northern Virginia (most have been replaced) but somewhat common to find in the rest of the state, esp. in the Richmond suburbs (a treasure trove of old signals).

VDOT installed numerous Econolites in the late 1990s, esp. around Northern Virginia. I like the design of the button back, but most have not aged well with peeling paint on the signal housing and backplates appearing not many years after their installations.

-Dan

Takumi

There are some old 12-8-8s still around central Virginia as well.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8500844534/in/photostream
Old mast arm in Union, NJ.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8500921274/in/photostream
Even older mast arm at another Union, NJ intersection with mix and match signal poles as the newer one is a trombone arm with horizontal heads attached as seen accomp'nling along with more present day arms seen in the distance.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

M3019C LPS20

Here are several great photographs of vintage signals that were once in use in the city of New York.

Close-up of a two-section (red and green) traffic signal from Ruleta. Equipped with vintage "ONE WAY" arrow signs, too. Photograph taken by George Marks. 1950s.

A Ruleta suspended from a classic "wheelie" set-up. The Empire State building is in the background. 1948. Photograph from Fred Stein.

Close-up of another Ruleta. Post-Barnes conversion. Photographer unknown. 1960s

Brand new pair of neon pedestrian signals from Winkomatic, not to mention traffic signals from Marbelite. Manhattan, New York. 1955. Traffic commissioner (then) T.T. Wiley activated the signalized intersection in this photograph as people around him watched.

Another classic neon pedestrian signal from Winkomatic. At the corner of Delancey Street and Orchard Street. Manhattan, New York. Early 1980s. Photograph taken by Erik Falkensteen.

Three-way traffic signal cluster that only showed red and green signal indications. Suspended from a modern guy wire set-up. The well known overlap (red and green both lit) is shown in the photograph. This one was once in service on Rockaway Beach Blvd. in the Rockaways of Queens, New York. I remember I once saw it in person many years ago. Photograph taken by Jeff Saltzman. Late 1990s.

Classic pair of Marbelite model LPS-20 pedestrian signals from Queens, New York. Photograph from the collection of Joe Testagrose. Circa 1971 These were common to see throughout the five boroughs from the 1960s until the early 1980s.

Pair of neon Winkomatic pedestrian signals and traffic signals from Marbelite. Manhattan, New York. Pre-Barnes conversion. 1950s. Photographer unknown.

Classic "Mercury signal" on 5th Avenue in the city of New York. Year unknown. Photographer unknown. Such a classic set-up that I am quite fond of.

signalman

Those were some great vintage photos.  Thanks for sharing those  :D

MDOTFanFB

There were several installations with an unusual mast arm type that was prevalent throughout parts of downtown Detroit from the late 1970's/early 1980's until the mid 2000's, though this one at Griswold, Grand River and Shelby Streets (next to Capitol Park) held on until at least the winter of 2011-12, as you can see newer mast arms (though without signal heads yet):

Closeup:

Was this mast arm type installed elsewhere? I know of a similar (maybe even identical) type that was installed in the downtowns of Cincinnati and San Francisco.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on March 21, 2013, 04:04:40 PM
Was this mast arm type installed elsewhere? I know of a similar (maybe even identical) type that was installed in the downtowns of Cincinnati and San Francisco.

Yes. A similar set-up is currently in use within the city of New York. Queens to be exact.

Here's an example from Queens. At Parsons Blvd. and Jamaica Avenue. It was first introduced and installed in the 1980s.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=parsons+blvd+and+jamaica+avenue&hl=en&ll=40.703323,-73.800277&spn=0.008459,0.019741&hnear=Jamaica+Ave+%26+Parsons+Blvd,+Queens,+New+York+11432&gl=us&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.703323,-73.800277&panoid=1Meu0yTJxpMtNob8cKe5yw&cbp=12,357.79,,0,-2.51

Alps

It's funny, but the day or two after reading all about the old NY two-phase signal, I finally saw one of the modern ones facing a driveway exit, coming north off the Greenpoint Ave. bridge:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=40.734129,-73.937876&spn=0.001037,0.002237&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=35.278005,73.300781&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.734253,-73.937972&panoid=l8N0JJWwtCLbMu-qAibo6Q&cbp=12,167.01,,0,-7.45

M3019C LPS20

Here are some more photographs of vintage traffic signals from New York City.

Classic four-way, two-section (red and green) Ruleta at the corner of Bedford Avenue and Avenue J. Brooklyn, New York. Circa 1972. Photograph from the collection of Joe Testagrose.

A Ruleta suspended from a classic "wheelie" set-up and a three-way Marbelite traffic signal cluster (bottom right hand corner) from Harlem, New York. 1985. Photograph taken by Matt Weber.

A Ruleta and its overlap (red and green both lit). Photograph from Life. Circa 1957.

Marbelite traffic signals that were originally painted dark olive green. Pre-Barnes conversion. 1959. Brooklyn, New York. Photograph from Brooklyn Historical Society.

An interesting set-up of Marbelite traffic signals at Rockaway Pkwy. and Glenwood Rd. Brooklyn, New York. 1971. Photograph from the collection of Joe Testagrose.

agentsteel53

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on March 21, 2013, 11:43:41 PM
A Ruleta suspended from a classic "wheelie" set-up and a three-way Marbelite traffic signal cluster (bottom right hand corner) from Harlem, New York. 1985. Photograph taken by Matt Weber.

a two-section as late as 1985?  wow.  when did the last of those go away from New York City?

I remember in Dedham, MA (I believe on Washington St., MA-1A) there was a two-section well into the 90s, its post enclosed in a concrete cylinder in the middle of the junction.

something similar was around in Hershey, PA in 2006. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

leroys73

Any pics with the green on top, yellow in middle, red on bottom?  Anadarko, Oklahoma, had these back in the 60's and 70's.  I am sure other towns used them.  I wish I had a picture of them to post.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Big John

Quote from: leroys73 on March 22, 2013, 11:10:12 AM
Any pics with the green on top, yellow in middle, red on bottom?  Anadarko, Oklahoma, had these back in the 60's and 70's.  I am sure other towns used them.  I wish I had a picture of them to post.
The Irish part of Syracuse NY have them

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 22, 2013, 09:59:51 AM
Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on March 21, 2013, 11:43:41 PM
a two-section as late as 1985?  wow.  when did the last of those go away from New York City?

2007. The remaining survivors in the early to mid 2000s were mainly in Ozone Park and the Rockaways of Queens, New York.

agentsteel53

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on March 22, 2013, 01:47:01 PM

2007. The remaining survivors in the early to mid 2000s were mainly in Ozone Park and the Rockaways of Queens, New York.

dang... never noticed it.

do you have any photos of old signs as well as signals?

jake@aaroads.com

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 22, 2013, 01:50:20 PM
do you have any photos of old signs as well as signals?

I have some pictures of my vintage street signs that saw service in different areas of New York City. I'll also own a couple of signals that saw service. I'll post them later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on March 22, 2013, 03:04:07 PM

I have some pictures of my vintage street signs that saw service in different areas of New York City. I'll also own a couple of signals that saw service. I'll post them later.

awesome!

I remember once someone posting a photo here of a cutout NY-9x shield (where x is one of the suffix letters.  9N?) that survives into the 2000s.  anyone got that one?

jake@aaroads.com

M3019C LPS20

Here are some pictures of my vintage street signs from New York City.

Beige porcelain street sign from Manhattan, New York. Late 1940s to early 1950s.

My set of porcelain "humpback" street signs. 1920s to 1930s. Wythe Avenue/N. 15th Street is from Brooklyn, while Nagle Avenue/Sickles Street is from Manhattan. Finally, Banyer Place/Croes Avenue is from the Bronx.

Vintage porcelain street signs from Queens, New York. The top one is from the 1950s, while the bottom one dates back to late 1930s or so.

My set of "color coded" street signs. One from each borough of the city of New York. 1960s to 1970s. From top to bottom, "225 ST" is from Queens, while "E 57 ST" is from Manhattan. Next, "MILL LA" is from Staten Island, while "MORRIS AV" is from the Bronx. Last, but not least, "FOSTER AV" is from Brooklyn.

1950s "ONE WAY" arrow sign. This kind is my favorite that was used in the city.

Vintage pedestrian push button signs. The one on the right dates back to 1969, while the green sign is perhaps slightly older than it. Note that each one uses the old "DEPT OF TRAFFIC" label. Street signs today in the city now use "DEPT OF TRANSPORTATION."

This pedestrian push button that I have was once equipped with the pedestrian push button sign that you just saw (on the right). Dates back to 1969, too.

1950s "NO PARKING" sign. Uses the old label from D.O.T. as well.

I also mentioned that I have some vintage signal equipment that is from the city. Here, a handful of pictures of what I own.

Vintage four-way, two-section (red and green) traffic signal from the Ruleta company. 1930s.

Electro-mechanical signal controller from G.T.E. Made for New York City.

1969 Marbelite M-3019C electro-mechanical signal controller.

Marbelite LPS-20 pedestrian signal. From New York City. Has decal inside of the housing
that generally states it was the city's property when it was in useful service. It was manufactured by Marbelite in 1975.

leroys73

Quote from: Big John on March 22, 2013, 11:55:05 AM
Quote from: leroys73 on March 22, 2013, 11:10:12 AM
The Irish part of Syracuse NY have them

Thanks Big John.  It is hard to believe they are still used.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

M3019C LPS20

Suspended three-way, two-section Ruleta traffic signal cluster at Amboy Rd. and Giffords La. Staten Island, New York. 1930s The single-faced traffic signal to bottom left faces Brown Avenue. From N.Y.P.L. digital gallery.

Four-way Ruleta with angled signal sections and louvers at the corner of Post Avenue and and Jewett Avenue. Staten Island, New York. 1955. From NYC.gov/records. I really like this one.

florida

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on March 21, 2013, 04:04:40 PM
There were several installations with an unusual mast arm type that was prevalent throughout parts of downtown Detroit from the late 1970's/early 1980's until the mid 2000's, though this one at Griswold, Grand River and Shelby Streets (next to Capitol Park) held on until at least the winter of 2011-12, as you can see newer mast arms (though without signal heads yet):

They look like a similar style from the downtowns of Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville.

Tampa: http://goo.gl/maps/SNJBi

Miami: http://goo.gl/maps/WyqSw

Jax: http://goo.gl/maps/QBNF9
So many roads...so little time.

Mdcastle

In early days it was common for the main street to have red on the top and the side street with red on the bottom. A four way signal could be used with just three bulbs, and often a simple E/M controller was included in the housing so you could just hang it and wire it to the mains.

M3019C LPS20

A pair of dark olive green neon pedestrian signals from the Winko-Matic company. Manhattan, New York. Late 1950s.
This particular kind was first introduced in the city around 1955, and it eventually became widespread throughout the rest of the city in later years. It remained in useful service until the early 1980s. Personally one of my favorite kinds of pedestrian signals that was in use in the city. I'd love to own from the city someday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.