News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Speed limits not divisible by 5

Started by dgolub, March 29, 2014, 10:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammi

Road Hog

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

agentsteel53

infinity is not divisible by zero.

(okay, it's a lot more complex than that, in the Alanlandian sense of "infinity both is and is not divisible by zero, depending on your definition of infinity" - but, for the purposes of this discussion, no number that can be used as a speed limit is a number that is divisible by zero.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on March 31, 2014, 07:46:45 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on March 31, 2014, 05:14:45 PM
At the Hershey Mills Development in East Goshen, PA (Chester County); the posted speed limit (brown wooden signs w/red lettering) is 27 mph.
Red lettering on a brown background? That sounds nasty.
The main reason they can get away w/such there is because the development is a gated community and the interior roads (where the signs are located) are private.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Road Hog

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 01, 2014, 12:09:11 PM

(okay, it's a lot more complex than that, in the Alanlandian sense of "infinity both is and is not divisible by zero, depending on your definition of infinity" - but, for the purposes of this discussion, no number that can be used as a speed limit is a number that is divisible by zero.)

Fair enough. Any number divided by zero will give a quotient of infinity. Howzat.

Brandon

Quote from: Road Hog on April 04, 2014, 08:34:00 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 01, 2014, 12:09:11 PM

Fair enough. Any number divided by zero will give a quotient of infinity. Howzat.

Hence, the Isle of Man and German Autobahn speed limits.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Crazy Volvo Guy

The speed limit in the Walmart DC in Raymond, NH is 9½ MPH.  I don't have pics.  At some other reciever, I saw signs for 8⅞ MPH.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

formulanone

freebrickproductions

Here's a Speed Limit 17 sign in Port St. Joe, FL:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=port+st.+joe+florida&ll=29.862306,-85.33823&spn=0.000002,0.002064&hnear=Port+St+Joe,+Gulf+County,+Florida&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=29.862306,-85.33823&panoid=zWjEou6xRDmIWH7vb2eOVA&cbp=12,285.83,,3,2.02
I believe I have a photo of it too, I'll have to find it first though.
I also recall seeing a Speed Limit 23 sign in that area as well, but it looks like it was removed according to Google Street View.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SignGeek101

Not really a speed limit sign, but I saw this sign at my university's parkade last winter and took a picture.

mtantillo

The Rockefeller University in NYC had a "Speed Limit [Pi]" sign in one of their parking decks. That's slow!

Pink Jazz

The City of Albuquerque has reduced speed limits that are not divisible by 5 on its designated Bicycle Boulevard streets.  I presume this is for people can pay attention to their speedometers.

hotdogPi

Quote from: mtantillo on September 26, 2014, 12:14:29 AM
The Rockefeller University in NYC had a "Speed Limit [Pi]" sign in one of their parking decks. That's slow!

Maybe intended for walking?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Takumi

My brother's apartment complex has a speed limit of 9.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SteveG1988

299,792,458 metres per second

fastest speed there is.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

adventurernumber1

Here in Dalton there is actually a Speed Limit 13 sign on a road in a condo-neighborhood off of the North Bypass (saw it when I was visiting someone there).

I really wish I could've gotten a picture of it (I couldn't because I was actually driving myself), and unfortunately it is not available on Google Street View.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

PHLBOS

A FB friend of mine (not a roadgeek) posted a pic of a brown parking lot sign that lists a speed limit of 9 mph.  Unfortunately, he didn't give its location but I'm assuming it's at a mall somewhere in Greater Philadelphia.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

I think I saw 12.5 somewhere (half of 25)

TEG24601

My parents had a timeshare near Birch Bay, WA for a few years, and they had "Speed Limit 7", and another sign that said "7 = One Foot On Brake".
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

bzakharin

Quote from: TEG24601 on December 29, 2014, 04:04:16 PM
My parents had a timeshare near Birch Bay, WA for a few years, and they had "Speed Limit 7", and another sign that said "7 = One Foot On Brake".
One foot? I can only interpret that two ways, neither of which makes any sense. Either there are cases where you would have both feet on the break or the other foot goes somewhere else. Gas?

briantroutman

This past July-Nov., I lived in Playa del Rey and biked to Redondo Beach and back every day. This passed through The Strand in Hermosa Beach which is posted at 8 MPH. An LA Times article from 1987 shows that the limit was 10 when posted 27 years ago, and why they decided to reduce the limit by 2 miles is beyond me. Ever try biking at 8 MPH? It's a challenge to maintain a speed that low.

Quote from: bzakharin on December 29, 2014, 04:39:55 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on December 29, 2014, 04:04:16 PM
One foot? I can only interpret that two ways, neither of which makes any sense. Either there are cases where you would have both feet on the break or the other foot goes somewhere else. Gas?

Another nitwit who doesn't know that some cars don't have PRNDLs.

sbeaver44

Onondaga Lake Park in Liverpool, New York has a Speed Limit 17 sign.  The Parks Department says it's "to get people's attention" per http://www.localsyr.com/story/d/story/why-is-the-speed-limit-17-miles-per-hour-at-ononda/33265/tS1kXiJ6KU6XuuJT9IDHaA.

jbnv

Quote from: bzakharin on December 29, 2014, 04:39:55 PM
Either there are cases where you would have both feet on the break or the other foot goes somewhere else. Gas?
Sammy Hagar had that problem.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

KG909

~Fuccboi

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.