News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

St. Louis area questions

Started by Mdcastle, April 01, 2014, 09:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mdcastle

Planning a trip back to St. Louis- plan to fly to Kansas city, drive to Tulsa, to St Lous, and back.

*What's the current safety situation at the Chain of Rocks Bridge, and is one parking lot better than the other?
* I understand getting out and taking pictures of the McArthur Bridge is a no-no, but is it safe to drive over it and then go on IL 3 down to the I-70 entrance ramps?
* Is Pontoon beach a safe place to stay at a hotel (Thinking the Holiday Inn Express)

*For plant experts, is there a specific weekend/s that Wisteria and Southern Magnolias are both in bloom?
*Three hours long enough at the botanical gardens? Two hours long enough at the Chain of Rocks Bridge?

Brandon

1. The only open parking lot is on the Illinois side.  The three times I've been there, it's fairly safe.

2. There are places to take pictures of the MacArthur Bridge.  The old ramp stubs are accessible near 7th and Chouteau.  You should be able to see the bridge in profile from Wharf Street along the Mississippi River.  You'll never see it well from IL-3.

3. Yes, Pontoon Beach is a safe place to stay.  I've stayed there for work on a couple of occasions at that very Holiday Inn Express.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bugo

Are you staying overnight in Tulsa?  If so, hotel row is on Yale just south of I-44. Stay away from any motels west of the river on I-44.

Mdcastle

Oh, I guess I meant McKinley Bridge. I recall vaguely reading somewhere that it's OK to drive through in the daytime, but getting out for some exploring and photography isn't a good idea.

Yes, I am staying in Tulsa, probably on the north side of town, probably in the Holiday Inn in Owasso, since I'll be coming in from the north and leaving to the east and have no business in town other than staying the night.

Brandon

Quote from: Mdcastle on April 01, 2014, 01:58:09 PM
Oh, I guess I meant McKinley Bridge. I recall vaguely reading somewhere that it's OK to drive through in the daytime, but getting out for some exploring and photography isn't a good idea.

Actually, it does seem like a good idea.  There's a bike/hike trail along the south side of the bridge, and a parking lot off Main Street where the bridge begins in Illinois: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=38.667058,-90.176961&spn=0.004867,0.010568&t=h&z=17

You're well north of East St Louis here, so you should be fine to walk it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Mdcastle

Is East St. Louis the kind of place where you don't drive alone even in the daytime, or you'll probably be OK as long as you don't wander around on foot in the dark? Thinking about driving IL 3 to pick up the Great River Road through the area.

Brandon

Quote from: Mdcastle on May 19, 2014, 04:23:00 PM
Is East St. Louis the kind of place where you don't drive alone even in the daytime, or you'll probably be OK as long as you don't wander around on foot in the dark? Thinking about driving IL 3 to pick up the Great River Road through the area.

You should be fine in the daylight.  I doubt you'll encounter many people.  ESL is down under 27,000 in population from its peak about 1950 of 82,000.

Mdcastle

What's the exact routing of the Great River Road through Missouri south of St. Louis?

bugo

Quote from: Mdcastle on April 01, 2014, 01:58:09 PM

Yes, I am staying in Tulsa, probably on the north side of town, probably in the Holiday Inn in Owasso, since I'll be coming in from the north and leaving to the east and have no business in town other than staying the night.

There's some neat things to check out...bridges, bizarre interchanges, strangely designed freeways, abandoned freeways, button copy, construction, construction, and construction.

Revive 755

Quote from: Mdcastle on May 19, 2014, 04:23:00 PM

I would be cautious on IL 3 between I-55/I-64 and the McKinely Bridge after dark.  IL 3 between the PSB Complex and I-255 should be fine, though I might hesitate at driving it after 11PM.

Quote from: Mdcastle on May 23, 2014, 09:42:40 PM
What's the exact routing of the Great River Road through Missouri south of St. Louis?

Last I remember the Great River Road followed I-55 south to US 61 (Exit 170), where it then follows US 61 south.  If you want to stay closer to the river, you could try following the signs for the Mississippi River Trail for bicycles along Broadway, MO 231, and US 61-67

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.