News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Stupid, Archaic and Weird Highway Laws

Started by mightyace, June 24, 2009, 03:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

In PA...for some reason you can turn right on red, but not left?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

The Nature Boy

vdeane

Lots of places.  One way streets are involved.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 30, 2015, 12:41:29 PM
Can you turn left on red anywhere?

As vdeane notes, it's quite common for it to be allowed from a one-way street to another one-way street, but that law isn't universal. The District of Columbia and North Carolina are two places that for whatever reason do not permit it, even though both allow right turns on red. When you consider the scenario, it's clear enough why left on red is typically allowed between one-way streets, as you don't have to cross traffic going in the opposite direction from you on either street.

Off the top of my head I can readily cite to one intersection that has a "No Turn on Red When Pedestrians Are Present" sign to restrict lefts on red that would otherwise be allowed. In practice it doesn't much matter–I find that VERY few other drivers know left on red is ever legal. Fairfax City once even had a sign posted at an intersection where lefts on red were allowed advising people that such turns were permitted, but even then I found a lot of people wouldn't do it even when the way was clear. (The sign is long gone now because the roads were reconfigured and the left on red is no longer an option.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on December 30, 2015, 12:51:25 PM
Lots of places.  One way streets are involved.

Some places even involve a two-way street, as in a left on red from a two-way to a one-way street.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Katavia on December 30, 2015, 07:00:07 AM
Quote from: njroadhorse on July 01, 2009, 06:32:22 PM
This one made me laugh so hard, especially for NJ
QuoteAll motorists must honk before passing another car, bicyclist, skater, and even a skateboarder.
That explains why everyone honks on the GWB, to tell other people they're trying to get around someone! :wow: ;-)
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

In the 6½-year interim between the last post and your random bump, the honk-before-passing law was repealed. http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/11/let_your_ram_run_free_christie_signs_nj_bill_to_remove_outdated_laws.html

bzakharin

I don't know how true this is, but I've been told that the reason horses are banned from many freeways in NJ is that there is a law giving horses the right of way over motorized vehicles

Pete from Boston

Quote from: US 41 on December 30, 2015, 09:04:05 AM
I guess in Kentucky and Michigan you're car insurance pays for your car only. That means if you have liability only insurance and you're involved in an accident that is someone else's fault, you're screwed. What's the point of even having car insurance in those states?

I don't understand.

Your liability insurance covers what you do to others.  Their liability insurance covers what they do to you.  So why would you be screwed unless hit by an uninsured driver? 

And isn't optional collision insurance what's supposed to handle otherwise-uncovered damage to your vehicle?

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 30, 2015, 12:34:46 PM
I think you're mistaken.  PA does allow left on red when both intersecting roadways are one-way streets.  At least that's what I read it when I changed my driver's license from Massachusetts over to Pennsylvania 25 years ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mr_Northside

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 30, 2015, 05:25:56 PM
PA does allow left on red when both intersecting roadways are one-way streets.

Yup.
Unless, of course, it is signed that you are not allowed at that particular intersection.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Ace10

I think you're mistaken.  PA does allow left on red when both intersecting roadways are one-way streets.  At least that's what I read it when I changed my driver's license from Massachusetts over to Pennsylvania 25 years ago.

To my knowledge, Connecticut, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Dakota, and the cities of New York and Washington DC prohibit left turns on red.

Alaska, Idaho, Michigan, Oregon, and Washington allow left turns on red from one- and two-way streets into one-way streets, with Michigan, Oregon, and Washington allowing these turns to be made even on red arrows (Idaho prohibits turns on arrows; I'm not sure about Alaska).

The rest allow left turns on red but it must be from a one-way street into another one-way street.

lordsutch

I guess in Kentucky and Michigan you're car insurance pays for your car only. That means if you have liability only insurance and you're involved in an accident that is someone else's fault, you're screwed. What's the point of even having car insurance in those states?

So you don't get sued into bankruptcy and/or so you can pay your own medical bills and replace your car when you're in an accident that's determined to be at least partially your fault? (And because it's the law, although you can substitute a surety bond in some states.)

You get uninsured motorist insurance to cover the event that you're in an accident that isn't your fault and the responsible party/ies can't be identified (hit & run), lack insurance, or are underinsured compared to the accident costs (which also avoids you needing to track down the other party/ies and suing them into bankruptcy on your own). But even that usually isn't offered except if you pay for liability insurance for yourself and usually no more generous than your own liability limits.

GaryV

Michigan has no-fault insurance which basically covers costs due to injuries:  https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_ip202_25083_7.pdf  Also see https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_noflt_gd_25094_7.pdf

You have to buy an additional rider if you want your car repairs to be covered.  You also can buy coverage in case you are hit by an uninsured motorist.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Truvelo on June 28, 2009, 03:57:37 PM
Re the original post about roadkills. In this country it's illegal for the person who killed the animal to take it home but anyone who spots a dead animal in the road is allowed to take it :-/

Ha! Apparently someone thought they had a problem with folks "hunting" with their cars...

In Wisconsin the driver of the vehicle that road kills large game animals, those that require a special tag or permit to hunt, (Whitetail Deer, Black Bear, Turkey, etc) has first dibs on the corpse.  After that, it goes to who ever claims it first.  I think there's a free tag obtained from the local DNR office and once that is issued then the carcass can be salvaged.  That way if you totaled your car, at least you can get some nice back-strap and inner tenderloin for your troubles.  (the other cuts are usually too beat up to be any good.)
The DNR roadkill tag probably serves the same function as the UK law; a check against rednecks purposefully ramming deer with their old beater truck/sedan. 

Of course that's a really inefficient way to poach deer in rural areas.  The unethical hunters out there are much more likely just to go out and shoot them out of season.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

jwolfer

Quote from: GaryV on December 30, 2015, 07:28:50 PM
Michigan has no-fault insurance which basically covers costs due to injuries:  https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_ip202_25083_7.pdf  Also see https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_noflt_gd_25094_7.pdf

You have to buy an additional rider if you want your car repairs to be covered.  You also can buy coverage in case you are hit by an uninsured motorist.
Florida has PIP insurance.. Your policy is primary for you injuries, even if you are a passenger in another person's car

The Nature Boy

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 30, 2015, 01:04:49 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 30, 2015, 12:41:29 PM
Can you turn left on red anywhere?

As vdeane notes, it's quite common for it to be allowed from a one-way street to another one-way street, but that law isn't universal. The District of Columbia and North Carolina are two places that for whatever reason do not permit it, even though both allow right turns on red. When you consider the scenario, it's clear enough why left on red is typically allowed between one-way streets, as you don't have to cross traffic going in the opposite direction from you on either street.

Off the top of my head I can readily cite to one intersection that has a "No Turn on Red When Pedestrians Are Present" sign to restrict lefts on red that would otherwise be allowed. In practice it doesn't much matter–I find that VERY few other drivers know left on red is ever legal. Fairfax City once even had a sign posted at an intersection where lefts on red were allowed advising people that such turns were permitted, but even then I found a lot of people wouldn't do it even when the way was clear. (The sign is long gone now because the roads were reconfigured and the left on red is no longer an option.)

I learned how to drive in North Carolina so I imagine that's why left on red is still a "WHAAAAT?" for me.

1995hoo

Regarding roadkill, I read somewhere–and I'm skeptical of this but have not bothered to research the issue–that West Virginia's statute recognizing the motorist's right to  consume roadkill contains an exception disallowing the right when the roadkill is human. I'm not sure which seems more absurd: the need for a law allowing you to eat roadkill or the need (real or imagined) for a specific provision involving human meat.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bzakharin

Quote from: Ace10 on December 30, 2015, 07:06:10 PM

To my knowledge, Connecticut, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, South Dakota, and the cities of New York and Washington DC prohibit left turns on red. Alaska, Idaho, Michigan, Oregon, and Washington allow left turns on red from one- and two-way streets into one-way streets, with Michigan, Oregon, and Washington allowing these turns to be made even on red arrows (Idaho prohibits turns on arrows; I'm not sure about Alaska). The rest allow left turns on red but it must be from a one-way street into another one-way street.
NJ does not allow any kind of left turn on red

roadman65

NYC not signing all their intersections with NO TURN ON RED while everywhere else in the USA does.  Oh wait, the 8 million people law in New York State which makes that part of our nation much different then the rest of us.

Good thing some of us road geeks know that NYC uses double guy mast arms for signals so we know we are in NYC along the Nassau and Westchester Borders areas to avoid getting a ticket from NYPD.  However, how is a non road geek or someone who does not know where the city limits are supposed to know they are in NYC to stay put at a red light when turning right?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

xcellntbuy

There used to be signs (big black on white signs for expressways) when crossing the city line indicating the turns on red were prohibited in the City of New York unless signed to allow it.  The 'red' word was also its own color.

roadman65

I saw the signs on Staten Island where turns can be made, and its in RED colored red too.

Yes, some entry points have them like from the Holland Tunnel used to have them or may still have them when exiting into the circle there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

They used to broadcast a message including this (among other, more widespread laws like drunk driving) on all AM stations in the Lincoln and Holland tunnels Don't know if they still do.

Pink Jazz

Any state that still restricts logo signs to rural areas despite the 2000 MUTCD adding provisions to allow them in urban areas.  The benefits of logo signs in urban areas are just as good (if not better) in urban areas as they are in rural areas, and if the state's logo sign program generates revenue, the states that continue to restrict them to rural areas are missing out on a lot of additional revenue that can command premium prices since there is a lot more competition in urban areas.

US 41

Quote from: lordsutch on December 30, 2015, 07:10:56 PM

So you don't get sued into bankruptcy and/or so you can pay your own medical bills and replace your car when you're in an accident that's determined to be at least partially your fault? (And because it's the law, although you can substitute a surety bond in some states.)

You get uninsured motorist insurance to cover the event that you're in an accident that isn't your fault and the responsible party/ies can't be identified (hit & run), lack insurance, or are underinsured compared to the accident costs (which also avoids you needing to track down the other party/ies and suing them into bankruptcy on your own). But even that usually isn't offered except if you pay for liability insurance for yourself and usually no more generous than your own liability limits.

In Indiana if someone rams their car into me I can get my car fixed at no cost to me because the other driver's insurance pays. If they don't have car insurance I just simply sue them. In Michigan I'd have to pay for it all out of my pocket.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on December 31, 2015, 09:23:25 AMNJ does not allow any kind of left turn on red.
Given that many left turn movements in NJ are handled via right-turn jughandles; I'm not surprised.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.