Atari Dump Site Unearthed in New Mexico Landfil

Started by SteveG1988, April 27, 2014, 11:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

tchafe1978

I had one of those games as a kid. It definitely was the worst game I ever played. I never could figure out how to keep E.T. from falling down in a pit. I think mine is still buried somewhere in my parents' basement, however, and not in the landfill.

1995hoo

We had an Intellivision, but we were able to play Atari games on it via a component called the System Changer. My brother still has it, along with all the cartridges; he sent me a picture to prove he hooked it up earlier this year (picture showed him playing Intellivision Bump n Jump in his current apartment).

I don't know whether E.T. was the worst game ever because I've never played Custer's Revenge or Beat 'Em and 'Eat Em (look those up on Wikipedia if you've never heard of them).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

They came out with a lot of games based on the most popular movies or whatever, and kids would get wildly excited that they were going to live the experience of that movie on their television screen. Instead, those games were usually among the more disappointing ones out there.

I never played ET, but "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was the most inscrutably complicated mess I ever played on Atari. It kept our attention for a while because there were lots of different parts to it, a relatively new phenomenon in those days, but I don't think I knew anyone who ever bothered to finish the damn thing because it just reached a point where it didn't make any sense.  It had so many levels of movie-specific logic that didn't fit into those squared-off graphics.

formulanone

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 28, 2014, 08:24:47 AM
I never played ET, but "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was the most inscrutably complicated mess I ever played on Atari. It kept our attention for a while because there were lots of different parts to it, a relatively new phenomenon in those days, but I don't think I knew anyone who ever bothered to finish the damn thing because it just reached a point where it didn't make any sense.  It so many levels of movie-specific logic that didn't fit into those squared-off graphics.

Same here...there were a few things you could do in Ark. ET was just puzzling to play; although from the standpoint of an eight-year-old, anything other than the rather obvious in a 2600 game would bore me quickly. If it wasn't easily explainable in the instructions, and the gameplay wasn't intuitive, I would imagine most players would bore of it except on rainy days.

It kind of lays the rumors to rest, something I'd heard as an urban legend about twenty years ago. I've had a soft spot for Atari's VGS, so I wouldn't exactly call it "corporate shame"...what else were they going to do with a few million remaindered cartridges that nobody wanted? To be honest, Atari was spreading themselves rather thin by this point (their port PacMan was really wishy-washy and dull).

It's also interesting to see that some things from our semi-recent past are still archaeologically discoverable. I would have figured items like this would be pulverized and incinerated nowadays, such that almost nobody can find them many decades or centuries from now.

iPhone

nexus73

"Raiders Of The Lost Ark" had a feature to show how well you did.  The top level was illustrated in the manual but no matter what I never could get that last little bit out of it. 

Back then we had Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision and Commodore 64 for our play systems.  They sure were a ton of fun!  They were also expensive when new.  I paid $300 in 80's dollars for the Intellivision when it first came out.  At least tech got cheaper and better as time passed.

Good times indeed!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.