News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Clippers Team facing the results of Don Sterlings rant

Started by bing101, April 28, 2014, 12:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhT6d5fMhzI

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/28/307627407/clippers-distances-themselves-from-racist-comments

THis is a reality show that none of the players and coaches choose to be in but the Owner and girlfriend forced the Clippers and the NBA to their dysfunction. 1 over race and 2 the Douchebag character of the majority owner. 3 This has to be some ploy of a bad reality show

Zeffy

Good for the Clippers for distancing themselves away from Sterling. The NBA is a professional sports organization, and comments like that are absolutely unacceptable in a league where a very large amount of the players are African American. It is racist at best, and does not have any place in the language of a team owner in the league. It's 2014 and I can't believe that racism towards African Americans still exists (or just in general...), but to say these things in an organization where a majority of your players are of color is just sickening.

If he is actually guilty of these crimes (which may be very likely), then I hope Adam Silver removes him from the league promptly. I'm glad Doc Rivers and the LA Clippers players are showing that they do not condone their owner's actions in any way, but it has to have completely disrupted their mindset during the crucial time of the NBA Playoffs.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

bing101

Lets Hope the NBA Board, and Clippers board and Investment group  do the right thing.

bing101

hbelkins

There's a Donald Sterling from Texas who has contributed to Republican candidates and PACs. He's not to be confused with the Clippers' owner, who was scheduled to get a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP until all this happened.

He supposedly has a history of this kind of thing.

But I'm aggravated because so much attention is being paid to this story, which diverts from more important news.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bing101

Quote from: hbelkins on April 28, 2014, 07:57:33 PM
There's a Donald Sterling from Texas who has contributed to Republican candidates and PACs. He's not to be confused with the Clippers' owner, who was scheduled to get a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP until all this happened.

He supposedly has a history of this kind of thing.

But I'm aggravated because so much attention is being paid to this story, which diverts from more important news.

Agreed, lets pay attention to the trade deal or Tpp. This Sterling stuff will be resolved soon.

Stephane Dumas

I spotted one comment from a guy who posted in the NY Times. I decided to quote it, he posted some details worth to mention.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/29/sports/basketball/after-33-years-of-sterling-a-boiling-point.html#permid=11674225
With all the noise and sound about a known racist who is guilty of a rotten attitude and a questionable moral standard my most Middle Class Americans, the real story has been blotted out. Questions that haven't even been addressed: 1) Who recorded the tape (in Sterling's home); Who released it to TMZ, a well known scandal sheet; 3) Why now and sinking the men who compromise the professional team, the L.A. Clippers; 4) Was money bet AGAINST the Clippers in the Warriors series; 5) Who hates Sterling that much to ruin the chances for his team; 6) Who has the most to gain from Sterling getting out of L.A. and pro-basketball? He isn't going to go broke. He's one of 30 millionaires and billionaires, including a Russian Oligarch that forms the cartel known as the NBA.

We know who Sterling is and have known this for a generation. Why now? During the playoffs? His wife? Not his girl friend. She loses here "sugar daddy." This appears to be a very professional job with great thought about how to accomplish whatever "they" want. Very professional. Not the plan and act of an unhappy wife whose lived with this for years or a good looking woman almost young enough to be his granddaughter (in age). These questions need to be answered to give us the entire story of Donald Sterling.

bing101

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 29, 2014, 07:29:40 AM
I spotted one comment from a guy who posted in the NY Times. I decided to quote it, he posted some details worth to mention.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/29/sports/basketball/after-33-years-of-sterling-a-boiling-point.html#permid=11674225
With all the noise and sound about a known racist who is guilty of a rotten attitude and a questionable moral standard my most Middle Class Americans, the real story has been blotted out. Questions that haven't even been addressed: 1) Who recorded the tape (in Sterling's home); Who released it to TMZ, a well known scandal sheet; 3) Why now and sinking the men who compromise the professional team, the L.A. Clippers; 4) Was money bet AGAINST the Clippers in the Warriors series; 5) Who hates Sterling that much to ruin the chances for his team; 6) Who has the most to gain from Sterling getting out of L.A. and pro-basketball? He isn't going to go broke. He's one of 30 millionaires and billionaires, including a Russian Oligarch that forms the cartel known as the NBA.

We know who Sterling is and have known this for a generation. Why now? During the playoffs? His wife? Not his girl friend. She loses here "sugar daddy." This appears to be a very professional job with great thought about how to accomplish whatever "they" want. Very professional. Not the plan and act of an unhappy wife whose lived with this for years or a good looking woman almost young enough to be his granddaughter (in age). These questions need to be answered to give us the entire story of Donald Sterling.

I have been looking at this as some bad ploy for Sterlings Girlfriend to be the Next Kardashian because of who is recording this and was supposed to be a domestic dispute between the two and I never thought of other angles of this.  I knew that Business Sponsors pulled out of both the NBA and Clippers until the issue is resolved.

1995hoo

Bang, bang, Adam Silver's hammer came down upon his head.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

I recall George Steinbrenner also getting a lifetime ban, yet he continued to own the Yankees until his death, winning several World Series titles in the final years of his tenure.

As for Sterling, I'm not defending him by any means, but I have some reason to believe that he was out to badmouth the Lakers for their tremendous amount of success over the years, and the fact that his Clippers also play in the same building doesn't help matters either. I can see the NBA buying the team, a la New Orleans, and selling it to whoever wants it, and I wouldn't mind them moving to Seattle either. There may be hope for a Supersonics revival after all, but of course, that's wishful thinking at best.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Quote from: Henry on April 29, 2014, 02:44:16 PM
I recall George Steinbrenner also getting a lifetime ban, yet he continued to own the Yankees until his death, winning several World Series titles in the final years of his tenure.

As for Sterling, I'm not defending him by any means, but I have some reason to believe that he was out to badmouth the Lakers for their tremendous amount of success over the years, and the fact that his Clippers also play in the same building doesn't help matters either. I can see the NBA buying the team, a la New Orleans, and selling it to whoever wants it, and I wouldn't mind them moving to Seattle either. There may be hope for a Supersonics revival after all, but of course, that's wishful thinking at best.

Steinbrenner received a lifetime ban in August of 1990 but Selig overturned it about three or four years later after Fay Vincent resigned as commissioner.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bing101

bing101

Well the ban on Sterling worked the Clippers won round 1 of the playoffs

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 29, 2014, 02:49:13 PM
Quote from: Henry on April 29, 2014, 02:44:16 PM

Steinbrenner received a lifetime ban in August of 1990 but Selig overturned it about three or four years later after Fay Vincent resigned as commissioner.

The three-year ban felt, like most of the machinations of MLB, to be a little too convenient to be random.  It's been well covered how this allowed the Yankees to grow a winning team.  It always felt to me that it was "in the interests of baseball" to have a strong, flashy Yankees club again, what with the ridiculous global marketability of the franchise, and Steinbrenner just needed to be briefly removed for business reasons.

Though as a Yankee fan, I can easily ignore my own suspicions.  I'm sure the baseball powers-that-be have only fair play in mind.

ET21

Quote from: bing101 on May 04, 2014, 08:27:18 AM
Well the ban on Sterling worked the Clippers won round 1 of the playoffs

Exactly what they needed to do, keep winning  :clap:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

bing101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.