News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Passed a state-named I-66 shield (Virginia, obviously) just east of the Capital Beltway earlier this afternoon. Street View image: http://goo.gl/maps/2Bsvx

I wouldn't be surprised if it were an original sign from when the road opened in December 1982. The white sign to the right in the Street View image is, of course, much newer.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

pctech

New replacements here in Louisiana have the state name on them. There are a couple on the entrance ramps to I-110 in downtown Baton Rouge.

Alex

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 08, 2014, 08:45:40 PM
A couple I saw on my recent cross-country trip in states that are not currently doing this:

IN 63 NB at I-74: http://goo.gl/maps/wmhV4

I-80 EB after Exit 291 near Shelton NE : http://goo.gl/maps/wmhV4

Mapmikey

Saw that one for Interstate 74 in 2011. Jeff R. photographed it with detail at www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=IN19790744

Happy to report that the lone state-named I-95 southbound mainline shield in North Carolina was still posted as of Sunday.

froggie

QuotePassed a state-named I-66 shield (Virginia, obviously)

Is the "state named" I-66 DC shield near the Kennedy Center gone now?

ctsignguy

Posted elsewhere, but fits the topic.....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on October 16, 2014, 06:27:58 PM

Don't know. I haven't driven past there on I-66 recently, just Rock Creek Parkway and Virginia Avenue.

I said "obviously" because of my reference to "just east of the Capital Beltway."

cl94

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 16, 2014, 09:01:23 PM

Don't know. I haven't driven past there on I-66 recently, just Rock Creek Parkway and Virginia Avenue.

I said "obviously" because of my reference to "just east of the Capital Beltway."

If you're referring to this one, it is (as of June, at least).

Edit: Added date
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alex

Quote from: cl94 on October 16, 2014, 09:29:07 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 16, 2014, 09:01:23 PM

If you're referring to this one, it is (as of June, at least).

Edit: Added date

That is the lone remaining one I could find on GSV for I-66 in DC as well.

froggie

There's at least one other remaining.  This one still exists as of the same GMSV run, right around the corner on Virginia Ave NW.  Unfortunately, that same newer GMSV run shows that this one has been replaced (still existed in 2012).

There was also a standalone trailblazer at 23rd and Constitution NW, but it got replaced by a neutered shield.

But the one I was thinking of before (which I know I got a photo of, but I can't find the photo) was a reassurance shield near the Kennedy Center.  It was after the exit to E Street but before the TR bridge, right atop the barrier between the lane and the adjacent bike/ped path.  GMSV does not show it existing anymore.

1995hoo

I haven't noticed that first one because when I drive through that area, I'm always going in the other direction up Virginia Avenue. If I'm down there early enough sometime en route to a Caps game, I'll try to see whether it's still there, but it'll be a few weeks due to the schedule.

Was the final one you reference on the portion of I-66 before or after the ramp from the Kennedy Center merges in on the right? I use that ramp from time to time when I pick up Ms1995hoo at her office because it's faster to go that way (her office fronts on New Hampshire Avenue across from the Saudi Arabian embassy) instead of going back around and through the tunnel, so I probably have a dashcam video of the ramp somewhere I can review for a shield if it'd be visible going that way.

Edited to add: OK, never mind. I went back through some deleted videos and found I used I-66 through the tunnel on the morning of September 12 after dropping my wife at her office when I wanted to head to Tysons. (I'd thought I could make a left onto Rock Creek Parkway and use Memorial Bridge, but the gates weren't open yet.) The video shows the sign "cl94" mentions is still there. It shows no shields anywhere between where I-66 branches to the left just after the ancient sign bridge and where Route 50 joins from the left. There is a little green sign on the right on the bridge bearing a shield with no "state" (or district) name (Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/JfGRX ).

Alex

At least you documented both of those removed shields before their replacement.

Quote from: froggie on October 17, 2014, 10:10:03 AM
There's at least one other remaining.  This one still exists as of the same GMSV run, right around the corner on Virginia Ave NW.  Unfortunately, that same newer GMSV run shows that this one has been replaced (still existed in 2012).

I noted the replacement of the median-placed shield for I-66 DC and U.S. 50 on GSV as well. Had planned to check out the nearby one on my recent trip, but ran out of time/daylight.

There was also a standalone trailblazer at 23rd and Constitution NW, but it got replaced by a neutered shield.

But the one I was thinking of before (which I know I got a photo of, but I can't find the photo) was a reassurance shield near the Kennedy Center.  It was after the exit to E Street but before the TR bridge, right atop the barrier between the lane and the adjacent bike/ped path.  GMSV does not show it existing anymore.

Were you referring to this mainline shield (it was posted on the curve from the E Street Expwy on-ramp and merge with the TR Bridge)? It was removed by 2007 per GSV:

adventurernumber1

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/127322363@N08/15556672885/

Here is a picture of one off I-75 in Georgia near Ringgold. Sorry for the insanely bad quality (you still might be able to make out the "GEORGIA" text, but it's blurry). I was on a bus ride back from Fall Retreat which was in Dayton, TN.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Alex

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 17, 2014, 11:15:59 AM
Here is a picture of one off I-75 in Georgia near Ringgold. Sorry for the insanely bad quality (you still might be able to make out the "GEORGIA" text, but it's blurry). I was on a bus ride back from Fall Retreat which was in Dayton, TN.

FWIW, state-named shields are not difficult to find in Georgia, though some areas use more neutered shields then others.

I did not photograph them (I was traveling in the opposite direction), but there are state-named trailblazers for I-10 on US 301 north ahead of Baldwin and I-95 along FL A1A/200 heading east in Nassau County. That area of Florida tends to have the most state-named shields installed on the state road system.

froggie

Alex:  yes, that's the one I was referring to.  Finally found my photo from 2002.

Pink Jazz

FYI, in Arizona, standalone shields have the state name, while shields on BGS are neutered.

cl94

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 18, 2014, 11:57:57 PM
FYI, in Arizona, standalone shields have the state name, while shields on BGS are neutered.

That is often the case. Connecticut and Maine do the same and I'm pretty sure they still include the state name. Heck, California neuters everything on BGSes and they put the state (or country) name on everything.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

ctsignguy

Quote from: cl94 on October 19, 2014, 12:31:58 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 18, 2014, 11:57:57 PM

That is often the case. Connecticut and Maine do the same and I'm pretty sure they still include the state name. Heck, California neuters everything on BGSes and they put the state (or country) name on everything.
Looks like Connecticut is in the process of joining the neutered ranks....saw a lot of fairly new neutered I-95 shields around New Haven and east on US 1 during my trip there a couple of weeks back.
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

1995hoo

Coming back from last night's Caps game, we found the BGS on southbound I-395 in DC just after you emerge from the Third Street Tunnel has been replaced as part of the overall signage replacement program. It formerly had a "state"-named–maybe "state"-initialed would be a better way to put it–I-295 shield with "D.C." where the state name goes. (Image of old sign: https://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/dc095/i-395_sb_exit_007_01.jpg ) The new sign has a neutered I-695 shield on the left, then "TO [neutered I-295] [DC-295]," consistent with the other new signs on nearby segments. No pictures, I was driving my wife's car and the dashcam was at home in mine.

There's a mess of construction on Massachusetts Avenue near the ramp to the southbound tunnel that's going to result in a bunch of sign replacement, too.

1995hoo

There's at least one other remaining.  This one still exists as of the same GMSV run, right around the corner on Virginia Ave NW. ....

I passed this sign last night en route to the Caps' "meet the team" event at the National Zoo. The sign is still there as seen in this photo. I don't have a picture because the dashcam image will be too dark and I didn't have time to pull over to take a regular photo, but it looks the same as what's shown above.

Mergingtraffic

This is still there in Albany...an original

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cjk374

Quote from: doofy103 on November 06, 2014, 06:15:40 PM
This is still there in Albany...an original

I think all of these qualify for "Best of..."   :clap:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

cl94

This gem near Albany may still exist (at least I hope it does). One of the few New York examples of a regulation Interstate shield NOT being mounted on Z-bars. This lesser-known sign isn't too far away. And this one. I'm trying to figure out what warranted all of these signs, but they're so far out of the way that they might not go anywhere anytime soon.

Mergingtraffic

WOW cl94 good finds.

I drove down I-684 today in Westchester, NY and this gem is still there, the last of it's kind.

I don't think there are any I-684 and I-84 NY state named shields left.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

Quote from: doofy103 on November 09, 2014, 06:16:21 PM
I don't think there are any I-684 and I-84 NY state named shields left.

There aren't many state-name shields actually on an Interstate, period. I-81 had a couple north of Syracuse, there were a couple on I-490, and at least one on I-390. Might be a couple in NYC or LI. Heck, there aren't many state-name shields on NYSDOT roads.

route17fan

There was an New York I-84 shield on NY 311 southbound at 84 some time ago but I do not know if it is still there or not.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.