AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Simple thunderstorms are now breaking news  (Read 18282 times)

ZLoth

• ImaTech!

• Last Login: December 17, 2018, 05:42:59 PM
    • List of links
Re: Simple thunderstorms are now breaking news
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »

Depending on the part of the country, a severe thunderstorm can turn into a tornado. That is very important for those living in the area. And, look at how big the broadcast areas are.

A few weeks ago, we had tornado alerts in Placer county, California, and an actual tornado did touch down. It was something like a low F1, but again, this is California. Tornados are an oddity.

But, if it's a weather alert, I'm more likely to hear it as a SAME alert on my weather radio than watching it on televison. In fact, I'm more likely to watch a TV show delayed on my DVR than live.
"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."

ET21

• Last Login: December 17, 2018, 03:22:38 PM
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »

Last year, thunderstorms through Chicago that lasted about 20-30 minutes, they were reported on for 1 hour and 30 minutes. The Formula 1 race was on NBC and the entire thing was blocked out. it  was like this  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Well it sounds like they were severe and caused damage. What city was the Form 1 race in?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where your going, without forgetting where your from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 06:56:26 AM
    • My site, in the middle of the street.
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »

Last year, thunderstorms through Chicago that lasted about 20-30 minutes, they were reported on for 1 hour and 30 minutes. The Formula 1 race was on NBC and the entire thing was blocked out. it  was like this  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Well it sounds like they were severe and caused damage. What city was the Form 1 race in?

Monte Carlo, Monaco.

ET21

• Last Login: December 17, 2018, 03:22:38 PM
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2014, 11:45:34 AM »

Monte Carlo, Monaco.

Well as it turns out, during the raceday we had a severe outbreak that included a weak tornado in the far southwest suburbs. Multiple damaging wind reports as well. So that explains why you had no race

Severe weather reports archive from the Storm Prediction Center: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/archive/
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where your going, without forgetting where your from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.