News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Double Yellow Lines

Started by US 41, June 21, 2014, 07:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on June 01, 2020, 12:15:46 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 31, 2020, 04:18:46 PM
* Both Washington and Oregon use a wider double yellow spacing. Example from WA; example from OR.

I've gotten the impression that wider spacings like this are a remnant of older striping patterns from back before the MUTCD formalized and standardized the yellow centerline striping patterns.

Some states used white broken lines as the center marking, but would have solid yellow lines on either side to indicate no passing (I've seen reference to this on old Nevada DOH maps). So you could have three closely-spaced lines down the center. Double yellow becomes the new norm? Cool, just eliminate the broken white in the middle.

I hadn't considered that, but it makes perfect sense.

From the very limited research I've done on the matter, it seems that some states quickly rebuilt their standards when yellow center lines came into force, but others drug their feet. WA seems to have been one of the last states to transition, since A) there are still some roads with white center lines, B) I've seen more than a few photos from recent years showing white center lines, well after when I thought the rule went into place, and C) (possibly) their double yellow line spacing still has a spot for a white line down the middle. I think that's completely logical.

Quote from: kphoger on June 01, 2020, 12:19:32 PM
Quote from: roadfro on June 01, 2020, 12:15:46 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 01, 2020, 08:58:46 AM
Here is the spacing that was used in Minnesota on the new US-12 two-lane freeway, back before they put a median down the length of the whole thing.

Never seen such wide stripe spacing in the US before. Almost wide enough for a bike lane. Gotta wonder if that was accidental, intentional to increase spacing between directions (I see double center rumble strips were installed later), or if they were pre-planning for the eventual jersey barrier all along...

It's been years now, but I don't recall seeing any mention of adding a barrier in the original plans.

Pretty cool when it got to a passing zone, that a double-dashed yellow pattern was used. Normally, of course, reserved for contraflow lanes, but more logical here with the super-wide spacing.

The UK can have similarly-wide spacing with double-dashed white lines, and they too permit overtaking. Actually nice, since you have some leeway to see if it's clear before committing to the maneuver. Too bad MN's implementation isn't more common.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on June 01, 2020, 03:00:54 PM
Pretty cool when it got to a passing zone, that a double-dashed yellow pattern was used.

Only after an eventual re-striping.  When it was first built, passing zones were marked with a simple broken yellow line.  I remember it being rather weird to go from two widely spaced lines to a single centered line.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on June 01, 2020, 03:09:09 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 01, 2020, 03:00:54 PM
Pretty cool when it got to a passing zone, that a double-dashed yellow pattern was used.

Only after an eventual re-striping.  When it was first built, passing zones were marked with a simple broken yellow line.  I remember it being rather weird to go from two widely spaced lines to a single centered line.

I saw that when I was originally looking around in Street View. I suppose a changeover would have been necessary given that the lines would go from standard-to-wide in one direction, but suddenly get narrow in the other direction (even if it was transitioning from wide back to normal). Awkward enough of a transition that I think a painted gore area should have been used, although only as prelude to the current striping, which I feel is the best. I don't recall what the rules are for passing over a double dashed yellow line, but I'm guessing it's legal.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on June 01, 2020, 04:04:57 PM
current striping, which I feel is the best.

Current "striping" is a barrier for the entirety of the section.

I don't recall what the rules are for passing over a double dashed yellow line, but I'm guessing it's legal.

I'm not sure such a rule even exists.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on June 01, 2020, 04:35:18 PM

I don't recall what the rules are for passing over a double dashed yellow line, but I'm guessing it's legal.

Unless there's signage explaining such, use your best judgement!

jakeroot

Yes, should have said *most recent* :-D

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 01, 2020, 04:41:24 PM

Before the barrier went up, there were yellow "NO PASSING ZONE" pennants at the end of the dashed section. So there is signage, it's just the opposite of what might be helpful.

roadfro

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 01, 2020, 04:41:24 PM

Double dashed yellow lines are typically associated with reversible lanes, so there's usually separate lane control signage to dictate what kind of movements can happen.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

In the Minnesota example, however, there was no lane between the dashed lines.  Just enough room for two rumble strips.
Male pronouns, please.

roadfro

Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2020, 02:50:58 PM
In the Minnesota example, however, there was no lane between the dashed lines.  Just enough room for two rumble strips.

The Minnesota US 12 example is pretty much an anomaly though. It seems those were meant to be interpreted as a single dash, but the agency didn't want to paint over/between the rumble strips.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: US 41 on June 21, 2014, 07:50:46 PM
Why exactly are there double yellow lines on the highway?

Where else can the police put their "RESPECT MUH" lines?

Has this even been branched out to other states or is this just a New Jersey thing? It had been ruled non-compliant with the MUTCD back in 2016 but I wonder if the recent events will prompt more additions or removals.

EDIT: I guess Flemington is the first to remove theirs: [tweet]1269306832838963200[/tweet]

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 02, 2020, 06:04:08 PM

Has this even been branched out to other states or is this just a New Jersey thing? It had been ruled non-compliant with the MUTCD back in 2016 but I wonder if the recent events will prompt more additions or removals.

It's for similar reasons that my least favorite part of the MUTCD is Section 353(b).
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

kphoger

Quote from: US 41 on June 21, 2014, 07:50:46 PM
Why exactly are there double yellow lines on the highway?

Along the outsides of a single yellow line, rather than between two parallel yellow lines.
Male pronouns, please.

roadfro

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 02, 2020, 11:39:05 PM

It's for similar reasons that my least favorite part of the MUTCD is Section 353(b).

Is this a reference to something else? That's not a section number that exists in the MUTCD...

kphoger

Quote from: roadfro on June 03, 2020, 11:09:34 AM

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 02, 2020, 11:39:05 PM

Is this a reference to something else? That's not a section number that exists in the MUTCD...

See below.

Quote from: MUTCD, 2009 Edition Appendix A1. Congressional Legislation
Section 353(b) STRIPES – Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a red, white, and blue center line in the Main Street of Bristol, Rhode Island, shall be deemed to comply with the requirements of Section 3B-1 of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices of the Department of Transportation.
Male pronouns, please.

roadfro

^ Ah, so it's not an MUTCD section, but rather Congressional legislation that is referenced in the MUTCD (specifically a section of the National Highway System Designation Act of 1995).

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: roadfro on June 04, 2020, 12:15:12 PM
^ Ah, so it's not an MUTCD section, but rather Congressional legislation that is referenced in the MUTCD (specifically a section of the National Highway System Designation Act of 1995).

So it seems. My apologies.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

michravera

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 21, 2014, 08:33:02 PM
A single yellow center line was specifically forbidden with the 2009 edition of the MUTCD.

The best answer as to single versus double center lines in the US is probably that the system just evolved that way.  Though IMHO, a double center line has a better chance of being somewhat visible if the pavement markings are in extremely bad shape.

For those who probably haven't seen it before, a history of striping in the US can be found in this document.

In the US, white lines separate traffic headed in the same direction and yellow in opposite direction. Single lines divide traffic that is about to separate. Double lines mean that crossing isn't permitted (except at right angles) (In California we use double solid while lines for HOV/Express lanes that aren't meant to be entered just wherever). I believe that the regulatory effect of a single solid yellow line would permit passing from either side in similar fashion as to a dashed yellow line.

jakeroot

Quote from: michravera on June 05, 2020, 02:10:21 AM
I believe that the regulatory effect of a single solid yellow line would permit passing from either side in similar fashion as to a dashed yellow line.

I don't believe a single yellow line is defined anywhere, so it's regulatory standing wouldn't be much different than a green or purple line down the middle...basically it means fuck-all. :-D

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on June 05, 2020, 02:38:34 AM
I believe that the regulatory effect of a single solid yellow line would permit passing from either side in similar fashion as to a dashed yellow line.

I don't believe a single yellow line is defined anywhere, so it's regulatory standing wouldn't be much different than a green or purple line down the middle...basically it means fuck-all. :-D

Correct, a single yellow line has no definition and is not to be used, per the standard statement in 2009 MUTCD Section 3B.01p05: "A single solid yellow line shall not be used as a center line marking on a two-way roadway." (Other standards specifying the centerline standard on undivided multi-lane roadways effectively eliminate the possibility of a single solid yellow line.)

kphoger

I've always read or been told that a single solid yellow line is equivalent to a double solid yellow line, but a single solid white line is not equivalent to a double solid white line.  However, now that I'm digging into it, I can't find anything to support that.

What I have found, however, is this 2006 opinion from the Illinois Supreme Court:

Quote from: Governmental Interinsurance Exchange v. Judge (2006)
Section 11B304 of the Illinois Vehicle Code provides that, when placing traffic control devices, local authorities "shall," i.e., must, follow the Illinois Manual. See 625 ILCS 5/11B304 (West 1994). The Illinois Manual states that a broken yellow line indicates a two-direction passing zone. On those roads, passing is permitted for traffic traveling in either direction. In contrast, a broken yellow line and a solid yellow line indicates a one-direction no-passing zone. On those roads, passing is permitted only for the traffic traveling adjacent to the broken line. Reviewing the Illinois Manual and the Illinois Rules of the Road, the appellate court correctly concluded that a broken or skip-dash yellow line, by itself, is a traffic control device. In contrast, a solid yellow line, by itself, is not a traffic control device, because a one-direction no-passing zone requires both a broken yellow line and a solid yellow line, and a two-direction no-passing zone requires two solid yellow lines. 356 Ill. App. 3d at 274.
Male pronouns, please.

vdeane

Meanwhile, single yellow lines are common in Canada.  I think double yellow lines there are mainly for major roads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on June 05, 2020, 12:13:29 PM

I've always read or been told that a single solid yellow line is equivalent to a double solid yellow line, but a single solid white line is not equivalent to a double solid white line.  However, now that I'm digging into it, I can't find anything to support that.

I would have guessed that a single solid yellow would be equivalent to a dashed yellow, just with "extra caution". Only because that's the rule in Canada.

Interestingly, you cannot cross a single solid white line in Canada (there is no double white equivalent), but you can in the US. Much the same as their single yellow, we can cross a single white line "with extra caution".

Quote from: vdeane on June 05, 2020, 12:50:54 PM
Meanwhile, single yellow lines are common in Canada.  I think double yellow lines there are mainly for major roads.

Indeed. In BC, single yellow is used extensively even on four and six lane roads (such as here in downtown Vancouver, where two six-lane arterials meet with a single yellow line). They are used when passing is acceptable but to be done with more caution than a dashed yellow. In practice, they completely replace dashed yellow lines in most urban areas, and traditional American-style dashed and double yellow markings are reserved for suburban and rural areas, or when a particular city decides they prefer that marking instead. Double yellow also tends to be used when an arterial acts more like a cattle chute between two major intersections, such as the Patullo Bridge. The single yellow line, to me, is the most obvious giveaway when a car commercial in filmed in either Vancouver or Toronto.

Anyone looking for rules about signals, signs, and markings in Canada should take a loot at the Insurance Corporation for British Columbia's (ICBC) driver's manual. It goes quite in-depth in what all the different markings mean.

webny99

a single solid white line is not equivalent to a double solid white line.

How so?

Quote from: jakeroot on June 05, 2020, 04:03:05 PM
Interestingly, you cannot cross a single solid white line in Canada (there is no double white equivalent), but you can in the US. Much the same as their single yellow, we can cross a single white line "with extra caution".

Around here, at least, you're not supposed to cross single white lines. They're normally used in construction zones, often accompanied by "STAY IN LANE" signage.

kphoger

I would have guessed that a single solid yellow would be equivalent to a dashed yellow, just with "extra caution". Only because that's the rule in Canada.

Do you have a code reference for that?  I've been on roads in Canada that use only single dashed and single solid yellow center striping–no double solid lines to be found.  For example, if your definition is correct, then what does it mean when a dashed yellow line transitions to a single solid yellow line?  And, then, passing here is allowed?

Quote from: webny99 on June 05, 2020, 04:18:28 PM

a single solid white line is not equivalent to a double solid white line.

How so?

According to the MUTCD:

Quote from: MUTCD 2009 Edition, Chapter 3B
Section 3B.04 White Lane Line Pavement Markings and Warrants

20   Where crossing the lane line markings is discouraged, the lane line markings shall consist of a normal or wide solid white line.

30   Where crossing the lane line markings is prohibited, the lane line markings shall consist of a solid double white line (see Figure 3B-12).
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 05, 2020, 04:45:18 PM
Do you have a code reference for that?  I've been on roads in Canada that use only single dashed and single solid yellow center striping–no double solid lines to be found.  For example, if your definition is correct, then what does it mean when a dashed yellow line transitions to a single solid yellow line?  And, then, passing here is allowed?

Not a code reference, but Wikipedia and I both agree with Jake:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_line_(road_marking)#Canada
Quote from: WikipediaIn Canada, Japan, Lebanon a single yellow line is used to separate traffic coming from opposite directions, where passing is allowed but with extreme caution. In the United States a yellow line is also used to separate traffic coming from opposite directions, but a solid line indicates that passing is not allowed. A broken yellow line indicates that passing is allowed.

So in your first example, the switch from dashed to solid means passing was totally legit, and now, you can still pass, but there's a reason it's not dashed (driveways? hill ahead? curve ahead?), so just use additional caution before passing. In the second example, you're supposed to know that you shouldn't be passing on a curve.

However, I don't think this is a distinction that comes into play very often. That is, drivers in Canada don't have a totally different mindset about single yellow lines. I think it's primarily just a provision to make things a little simpler and less rigid on local and rural roads with little traffic. Now you can legally go around Mary Lou turning into her driveway, or pass Joe the garbage truck driver, or pass Jimmy as he drives his tractor from one field to another. It's probably used way more often for these little types of things than it is for actual, legitimate highway speed passing. Because the types of roads where you find these single yellow lines aren't usually high speed, or major through traffic roads. Those will usually have double solid lines, just like we do here. Here's an Ontario example. And another.

Come to think of it, this is a really smart provision, and I wish the US did this, too. We'd certainly have less cramming on the brakes for mail trucks, garbage trucks, herds of bikers, or whoever else might be spilling out into the road from the shoulder.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.