Scott Kelby's Second-Annual Worldwide Photo Walk

Started by rawmustard, July 13, 2009, 12:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawmustard

So is anyone here planning to participate in the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk this Saturday? (7/18) I am planning to participate in Lansing, which has reached full capacity. (Each location has a maximum of 50 official participants.) I figured I wanted to do a full photowalk of downtown Lansing in warmer weather while we were touring for last winter's East Lansing roadmeet, and this event would be as good a time as any. I do know at least one other person in the roadgeeking community is planning to participate (he can chime in if he wants), and I know several are also interested in photography in general, so it stands to reason a good number of us would be drawn

I really got interested in photo walks when several area Flickr users met up in Kalamazoo last year. (They held another just last month, but I was not able to participate in that one.) Since that time, I try to do a little more exploring of various municipalities and thus have gotten a greater appreciation of the development of a community. Since streets and their control devices obviously factor in, a little bit of roadgeeking is satiated, but I also get to look at buildings and other structures, both modern and historic. I definitely recommend participating in a photo walk if history, development, architechture, and photography are any of your interests. And even if you don't meet up with a group, it still is fun to walk around a town individually. You might see a lot more than you would just driving through.

Dougtone

Quote from: rawmustard on July 13, 2009, 12:56:44 PM
So is anyone here planning to participate in the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk this Saturday? (7/18) I am planning to participate in Lansing, which has reached full capacity. (Each location has a maximum of 50 official participants.) I figured I wanted to do a full photowalk of downtown Lansing in warmer weather while we were touring for last winter's East Lansing roadmeet, and this event would be as good a time as any. I do know at least one other person in the roadgeeking community is planning to participate (he can chime in if he wants), and I know several are also interested in photography in general, so it stands to reason a good number of us would be drawn

I really got interested in photo walks when several area Flickr users met up in Kalamazoo last year. (They held another just last month, but I was not able to participate in that one.) Since that time, I try to do a little more exploring of various municipalities and thus have gotten a greater appreciation of the development of a community. Since streets and their control devices obviously factor in, a little bit of roadgeeking is satiated, but I also get to look at buildings and other structures, both modern and historic. I definitely recommend participating in a photo walk if history, development, architechture, and photography are any of your interests. And even if you don't meet up with a group, it still is fun to walk around a town individually. You might see a lot more than you would just driving through.

I will be attending two photo walks on Saturday.  One in the morning in the Binghamton suburb of Vestal, and an evening affair in Schenectady.  I attended a Flickr meetup in Ithaca in April, and found that I could take in more of the area I was visiting, than if I was in a car alone.  Plus, it was a fun change of pace for a few hours.

CanesFan27

Quote from: rawmustard on July 13, 2009, 12:56:44 PM

I'll be participating in the one in Smithfield, NC and Burlington, NC.  I'm looking forward to both - and most likely will try to do the same in Fuquay-Varina, NC in between.

I've always been for walking aroudn towns more - it's amazing what you can discover!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.