Who lives the closest to a numbered highway?

Started by bugo, August 12, 2014, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

My driveway is attached to US 80. So does this count as 0' away from a numbered highway?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

KEVIN_224

At one time, CT Route 71A went past my house...but then it's northern terminus was truncated to about 3 blocks to my south. CT Route 71 is 5 blocks away, then and now.

OracleUsr

I live two blocks from US 21/64, and used to live right on NC 115.  Never again.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

kphoger

My address used to be Roosevelt Road in Wheaton, Illinois, which is IL-38. There was barely any front yard, either.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jwolfer

Does anyone live on the block between one way pairs.. Like US13 in Odessa,DE... You could say you live in the middle of the route

LGMS428

cl94

Quote from: jwolfer on November 14, 2016, 11:15:41 PM
Does anyone live on the block between one way pairs.. Like US13 in Odessa,DE... You could say you live in the middle of the route

LGMS428

Yes.

Quote from: cl94 on November 12, 2016, 07:10:25 PM
I live between a one-way pair containing NY 2. My building takes up the entire block, so one stairwell is at WB and the other at EB. While my address is 6th Avenue, I get into the lot from EB and exit onto WB.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

I don't live within a couple miles of one now but some of them that were under a quarter of a mile that I did were; US 1, FL 50, AZ 51, AZ 101, US 27, M153, and US 41.  Surprisingly I've never been all that close to any of them while I've been in California.  One more...forgot about US 60 when I was living in the Valley, it was literally in sight of my window overlooking the freeway.

Bickendan

mapman1071

3/8 mile US60 Grand Avenue Glendale, AZ USA

Super Mateo

According to Google Maps, I'm a tenth of a mile away from IL 43.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: cjk374 on November 13, 2016, 03:31:02 PM
My driveway is attached to US 80. So does this count as 0' away from a numbered highway?

Similar here. But does a non-signed highway count? If so, then unsigned CT 431. Driveway's attached to it.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Mrt90

I don't live near a major highway but for 9 hours a day I'm about 100 yards from the Tri-State Tollway (I-94) in Lake County, IL.  I'm lucky enough to have a window "cubicle" but unfortunately the way my desk is configured most of the time my back is to the window, which is too bad because I think I would enjoy watching traffic all day rather than just listening to it.

Chris19001

I split my time between living in a van down by the river, and under I-95 with the other homeless folks..

paulthemapguy

You can sometimes find me riding my bike along Illinois 7, which is about a mile from my place.  Not a strong contender but it's something.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

MNHighwayMan

I lived for six years on the route I use as my avatar. I moved a few months before it was turned back to the city of Cambridge (thus blowing my chance at getting one of the signs... :-/ )

Nowadays I'm two miles from IA-5 and three miles from US-69. Of course, neither of those are even close...

ET21

At college I lived about 200 feet and 2 stories up on IL-38 in DeKalb
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

fillup420

My address is on US 421, and that road is a triplex of US 421, 321, and NC 194

Rothman

I live 550 feet from NY 5.

SAMSUNG-SM-G930A

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

noelbotevera

If people don't mind me trespassing through their backyards, PA 995 is about 900 feet away.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

TR69

Quote from: ET21 on November 17, 2016, 09:52:30 AM

When I lived in Stevenson South I was 2,000 feet and 8 stories up from IL 38.

michravera

Quote from: bugo on August 12, 2014, 03:45:53 PM
My front door is about 250 feet from the median of I-44/OK 66.  Does anybody live closer to a highway?  Does anybody live closer to a *major* highway?
When I lived in Texas in 2015, my street address was actually something like 8221 North IH-35. It is hard to get any more major than that.My place of residence was actually on the side of the building away from the freeway, so I may now live closer to the centerline of G-4 than I did to I-35.
In the 1980s, I lived in an apartment complex in Sacramento that was bounded by US-50 and CASR-16.
I currently live about 200 m from Santa Clara County Road G-4.

TravelingBethelite

350 feet down the street from me lies CT 302. Pretty darn close, and with a sidewalk too!
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

corco

Quote from: TR69 on November 25, 2016, 03:39:38 PM
Quote from: ET21 on November 17, 2016, 09:52:30 AM

When I lived in Stevenson South I was 2,000 feet and 8 stories up from IL 38.
I spent 9 years of my life living about 200 feet from IL 38 in Geneva.

The only numbered highway I've ever lived right on (driveway access) is Arizona 77. 

theline

I had not posted on this thread because I thought that the closest to a highway that I ever lived was my current house, about an unimpressive half mile from US 20 in South Bend. It just occurred to me that when I was very young I lived about 800 feet from US 35 in Muncie. I had forgotten that 35 was routed along Wysor Street until some time in the late 1950s. (See the 1956 Shell Indiana highway map from the David Rumsey collection: http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/workspace/handleMediaPlayer?lunaMediaId=RUMSEY~8~1~212070~5500208.)

Wysor is the east-west red line near the middle of Muncie:

slorydn1

Quote from: Mrt90 on November 15, 2016, 09:58:54 AM
I don't live near a major highway but for 9 hours a day I'm about 100 yards from the Tri-State Tollway (I-94) in Lake County, IL.  I'm lucky enough to have a window "cubicle" but unfortunately the way my desk is configured most of the time my back is to the window, which is too bad because I think I would enjoy watching traffic all day rather than just listening to it.

When I was a teenager my dads office was on the 5th floor of this building here:  https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9960618,-87.8661798,540a,20y,239.86h,44.89t/data=!3m1!1e3

South facing window, beautiful view of the NW (oops Adams) Tollway and a few of O'hare's runways.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.