News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Damaged Signs

Started by Ian, July 23, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: the49erfan15 on June 18, 2012, 02:29:52 AM
Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2012, 11:20:50 PM
It's a rural (tertiary) route shield in México.

Is rendering the tilde as a straight line common on Mexican road signs?

Not just on road signs, but on many other kinds of signs and even handwriting.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on June 18, 2012, 11:00:03 PM

As seen on older U.S. currency:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mjb2002

Got a lot of damaged Street Name signs in my home county, all of them damaged from excessive heat during the summer time. Though they may look okay for those who don't live in Barnwell County, they are not.

Also, a destination sign near BP in Williston has white substance on it.

NE2

Quote from: mjb2002 on June 18, 2012, 11:59:38 PM
Is there an old cutout nearby?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mjb2002

Quote from: NE2 on June 19, 2012, 01:12:39 AM

No. Not a cutout. But, this sign was from likely the 1950s, shortly after SRS was built.

NE2

Quote from: mjb2002 on June 19, 2012, 02:06:03 AM
Quote from: NE2 on June 19, 2012, 01:12:39 AM

No. Not a cutout. But, this sign was from likely the 1950s, shortly after SRS was built.

Worth splooging over?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

This is from 2009. I don't know if these have been replaced or not.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brandon

Looks like someone hit this one, ironically taken while I was sitting in traffic on westbound I-80 just past I-355 due to an accident.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 18, 2012, 11:32:36 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 18, 2012, 11:00:03 PM

As seen on older U.S. currency:

I should point out that, though a tilde rendered as a straight line is fairly common on Mexican road signs, the 'edges' of the line are not vertical but slanted, as in the example below:

I've seen plenty of curvy tildes and plenty of straight ones, but I don't think I've ever seen (noticed!) a straight tilde with 90° angles.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on June 19, 2012, 01:32:55 PM
This is from 2009. I don't know if these have been replaced or not.

If we're going to post shot-up signs, there isn't enough time for me to photograph and post all the ones in Kentucky.

Lots of the BGSes on the Mountain Parkway, that have been up since the mid-70s, are riddled with bullet holes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Trying to play catch-up with my photos...

County road pentagon...in yellow? Never saw one fade to that color before, usually they fade to a light blue. (January 2012)

Still faded, as of last month; photo from 2009. Usually, these more recent signs peel or crack, before fading.

Not unusual to see many old signs where the white has faded to a bare metal, in all of its shiny glory:

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on July 31, 2012, 10:45:05 PM
County road pentagon...in yellow? Never saw one fade to that color before, usually they fade to a light blue. (January 2012)

if the sign were made by applying a light blue negative-space foreground to a yellow background, and all the blue fell off, the result would be that.

I have seen this happen in New Mexico.

QuoteNot unusual to see many old signs where the white has faded to a bare metal, in all of its shiny glory:

most surviving keys shields are now black on bare aluminum.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 31, 2012, 10:55:34 PM
Quote from: formulanone on July 31, 2012, 10:45:05 PM

if the sign were made by applying a light blue negative-space foreground to a yellow background, and all the blue fell off, the result would be that.

I have seen this happen in New Mexico.

but that looks like black text?

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on July 31, 2012, 11:04:55 PM
but that looks like black text?

that one might very well be black text.  I have other examples from that area (I believe that exact county!) where all of the legend looks like the number does on your example.

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Destroyed in the derecho last month. Hilariously, the attraction panel's rivets were stronger than the actual sign's...

EN EN!

And speaking of bullets, this old one from 2008 (which, from what I'm told, is still like this):

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 02, 2012, 11:37:49 PM
[EAT CHIKIN OR WEEL LET THIS THING OUT]

I'm not even gonna go there...

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

Saw the following this afternoon on southbound I-395 in Virginia. After looking at the picture I find myself thinking it was done intentionally because of the way the lighting equipment appears to be so cleanly removed. I don't remember hearing anything on the news about it, but perhaps they were moving a large load recently given that there's still a lot of roadwork on the Beltway in both directions not far from that interchange.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 02, 2012, 11:37:49 PM
Destroyed in the derecho last month. Hilariously, the attraction panel's rivets were stronger than the actual sign's...

Looks to me like the left post took a direct hit, and was temporarily replaced with a lighter weight one.  Based on the damage, I suspect the Attractions panel was fabricated from sheet aluminum panels (increment panel method).

BTW, this is the first time I've ever seen a main Attractions LOGO sign with a brown background.  The MUTCD specifies a blue background for these signs, but permits states to use brown backgrounds for individual text LOGO panels.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: roadman on August 03, 2012, 06:31:46 PM
Looks to me like the left post took a direct hit, and was temporarily replaced with a lighter weight one.  Based on the damage, I suspect the Attractions panel was fabricated from sheet aluminum panels (increment panel method).

BTW, this is the first time I've ever seen a main Attractions LOGO sign with a brown background.  The MUTCD specifies a blue background for these signs, but permits states to use brown backgrounds for individual text LOGO panels.

Virginia seems to do this a lot with attractions signage, whether on individual signs or on overheads. VDOT will even use brown-out to accomplish this:

Will Weaver

bugo

WillWeaverRVA

Saw some similar (but not as extensive) damage on the same roadtrip the last photo I posted was shot on:

Will Weaver

ctsignguy

Found this oldie near downtown Hartford in 2008....looks like half its face was blown off

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Takumi

Any idea how old that is? The arrow under it looks much newer.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman

Quote from: Takumi on August 04, 2012, 10:22:27 PM
Any idea how old that is? The arrow under it looks much newer.

Anybody know when ConnDOT discontinued the use of plywood for permanent route markers.  That would provide a rough clue as to the age of the sign.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.