News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Damaged Signs

Started by Ian, July 23, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

Here's one from NSW...
NOTE:This pic was taken in 2004. This sign was replaced in about 2008.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

mapman

Quote from: ausinterkid on May 08, 2010, 07:04:31 AM
It took FOUR YEARS to replace that sign?   I guess the NSW DOT is not into performing maintenance!   :wow:

The Premier

Quote from: mapman on May 08, 2010, 05:48:16 PM
It took FOUR YEARS to replace that sign?   I guess the NSW DOT is not into performing maintenance!   :wow:

Or replacing them. :pan:
Alex P. Dent

national highway 1

Quote from: The Premier on May 08, 2010, 06:27:37 PM
Quote from: mapman on May 08, 2010, 05:48:16 PM
It took FOUR YEARS to replace that sign?   I guess the NSW DOT is not into performing maintenance!   :wow:

Or replacing them. :pan:
NOTE:'NSW DOT' is called RTA-Roads and Traffic Authority.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

F350

US-101 (button-copy) in San Jose, CA by the downtown airport (SJC). Taken 4/24/10.

TheStranger

F350: Is that the North 1st Street/Old Bayshore Highway junction?  That's actually closer to the airport than downtown SJ (which is about 2-3 miles to the south along First).
Chris Sampang

F350

Quote from: TheStranger on May 15, 2010, 06:34:56 PM
F350: Is that the North 1st Street/Old Bayshore Highway junction?  That's actually closer to the airport than downtown SJ (which is about 2-3 miles to the south along First).
Yes, you are correct. This was on the 1st St by the SJC airport.

agentsteel53

oh rats, and that looks like an old one, too.  Maybe 1960s or 70s? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

F350

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 15, 2010, 07:01:18 PM
oh rats, and that looks like an old one, too.  Maybe 1960s or 70s? 

At least. No info on back that I can see. See a close-up here.

Google Street View

agentsteel53

hmm, around 1970, California started phasing out its date stamps - after 1973 is really tough to find, but I've seen as late as 1988.  If it were 1960s, it would almost definitely have a date stamp on the back.

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

This one's interesting - a panel of this sign got knocked off during the I-64 repaving project near Richmond, revealing part of the original sign underneath:

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

shoptb1

A minor scuff on the Western Kentucky Parkway

Ian

These signs have certainly seen better days...

Random question, why are older Rhode Island BGSs tilted upwards?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

I think it has to do with preventing glare from the sun or something like that. I know Kansas tilts theirs downward.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

golden eagle

Don't have a picture, but an I-55 shield on a BGS in Jackson is fading.

Ian

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 11, 2010, 11:52:52 PM
I think it has to do with preventing glare from the sun or something like that. I know Kansas tilts theirs downward.

I know a lot of states tilt there's downward, but I wasn't really sure why RI's were tilted upwards. But glare prevention is a good theory.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 16, 2010, 06:37:26 PM

I know a lot of states tilt there's downward, but I wasn't really sure why RI's were tilted upwards. But glare prevention is a good theory.

except it ... doesn't.  It moves the critical angle to later in the day than sunrise, as opposed to tilting it down, which would make the sign glare at a time when the sun isn't actually above the horizon yet. 

jake@aaroads.com

Marc

There are two cities in Texas (DFW and Amarillo) that tilt signage downward, but the rest of the state mounts signage flat. As for the Southeast, the only state I know of that is still tilting up is South Carolina. Mississippi and Louisiana used to tilt up, but now MS mounts flat and LA tilts down. Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee all tilt down. And Arkansas, Florida and North Carolina all mount flat.

@golden eagle, Where is the fading 55 shield? I am originally from Jackson and still visit quite a bit.

US71

Old US 71 in Fayetteville.

First it was 71B in the 1970's, then briefly became AR 471 in the early-mid 1980's, then reverted back to 71B following a brief period of being co-signed as 71B/471 .

There was a sign error with a BGS calling it US 471, but the sign was quickly replaced.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Quote from: US71 on July 31, 2009, 04:00:16 PM
This is old US 71 in Fayetteville, AR. It was 71B, then became 471, then changed back to 71B following a transition period.
AHTD simply pasted a new panel over the old one, but the glue wore out ;)

Quote from: US71 on August 14, 2010, 06:23:51 AM

Old US 71 in Fayetteville.

First it was 71B in the 1970's, then briefly became AR 471 in the early-mid 1980's, then reverted back to 71B following a brief period of being co-signed as 71B/471 .

There was a sign error with a BGS calling it US 471, but the sign was quickly replaced.

Jeez, David, you really like that sign :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 14, 2010, 11:17:42 AM

Jeez, David, you really like that sign :P

OK, I forgot I had already posted it. :(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rickmastfan67

Quote from: golden eagle on July 12, 2010, 12:04:47 AM
Don't have a picture, but an I-55 shield on a BGS in Jackson is fading.

That's not really considered Damaged.  If it was, there would be TONS of those in PA.

shoptb1

Looks like one of the construction vehicles whacked this I-670E BGS on OH-315 during the recent work on the southbound lanes.

The Premier

Quote from: shoptb1 on August 15, 2010, 08:43:41 AM
Looks like one of the construction vehicles whacked this I-670E BGS on OH-315 during the recent work on the southbound lanes.

That's a shame. Those were brand new signage IIRC.
Alex P. Dent

shoptb1

Quote from: The Premier on August 15, 2010, 08:48:38 AM
That's a shame. Those were brand new signage IIRC.

Yep, I would guess that the contractor will be responsible for replacing their own damage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.