AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Uncommon Street Name Suffixes  (Read 43213 times)

ipeters61

• Last Login: June 23, 2020, 09:44:06 PM
    • Personal Website
Re: Uncommon Street Name Suffixes
« Reply #200 on: March 21, 2020, 06:07:59 PM »

There's a neighborhood in Delaware where the buildings all have their own "street" for their address, so something like 12 Fox Hall is a valid Dover address.  I just validated on the USPS website that the actual address is "12 Fox Hall, Dover, DE 19904."
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

SSR_317

• Why does FHWA hate "Exit 0"?

• Last Login: July 03, 2020, 10:20:26 PM
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2020, 01:44:00 PM »

Twin Cities area: Hopkins Crossroad

In the interests of being anal about everything, I should point out that the thread title is misleading.

Street names are made up of the following parts:
[Directional Prefix] [Specific] [Generic] [Directional Suffix]

Seattle's street inventory uses:
[Pre Directional][Street Name][Suffix][Post Directional]

Apropos of all this, I was just thinking the other day as I passed Haights Cross Road: would it not be correct to parse this as a one-word specific ("Haights") and a two-word generic ("Cross Road")? After all, it is the cross road named for Haight; it isn't the road that goes to Haights Cross.

(The more pertinent part of that question is, how often, in this day and age, will the nuance of that parsing be pretty much blown over in every system that matters?)

Similar to this is when a road is named for a place containing a cardinal direction, yet the USPS addressing rules treat it like a directional. For example: "East Jordan Road", which runs to East Jordan, Michigan. The USPS rules abbreviate that as "E JORDAN RD", which to me implies that it's the eastern end of a "Jordan Road". North of my hometown, we have "South Basin Drive" and a "North Basin Drive" on opposing sides of the Dead River Basin. Abbreviating the first word implies, to me, that they are opposite ends of the same "Basin Drive" instead of separate roads. (It's also wonky when "North Road" becomes "N RD", although that's rare.)
Hey, Google Maps often truncates the name of Court Street to "CT ST" (see downtown Indy for an example). I also hate when they (and others) abbreviate the name of a cardinal direction that is not used as such (S. Park instead of South Park) or as a directional for an address.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 01:43:00 PM
« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2020, 05:55:19 AM »

Similarly, Mr. Google abbreviates all instances of Oriente and Poniente to "Ote." and "Pte.". This works for Mexico, but I know a town here in Spain which have streets with those names, and they show up in Google Maps as "Calle Ote." and "Calle Pte." respectively, which looks quite weird. Street signs fully spell out "Calle Oriente" and "Calle Poniente", as it should be.
Proud of having clinched all North Dakota Interstates... on Street View.

There's no such thing as a "multi-state route", it's just as many state routes as states implied that happen to have the same number.

All times 6 hours behind my real time unless otherwise noted.

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: Today at 02:13:11 AM
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2020, 12:36:10 PM »

Similarly, Mr. Google abbreviates all instances of Oriente and Poniente to "Ote." and "Pte."

Just out of idle curiosity, is there a difference in meaning between poniente and occidental?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.