Does this stupid thing happen where you are?

Started by Mergingtraffic, July 29, 2009, 03:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

In CT, as the state is widening I-95 around New Haven, construction crews started to repaint the lines at 6am!  Granted rush hour is SB and this was on the NB lanes, but clearly several people travel NB at this hour too.  It was backed up for about 7 miles.  The state claimed it was emergency repairs.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/traffic/traffic_news/news_wtnh_new_haven_emergency_repairs_snarl_am_commute_200907290652

Does this sort of disrespect happen in your state too?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Duke87

I heard about this earlier.

Yeah, let's close two lanes of I-95 as morning rush hour is about to start. Brilliant planning right there. :pan:

And since when does line painting constitute "emergency repairs"? :eyebrow:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

OracleUsr

Thankfully, NC doesn't do this.

HOWEVER, I was in Maine back a few weeks ago, travelling through Portland to get to Lubec.  Mapquest suggested taking I-295 from Portland.

The entire SOUTHBOUND direction (not just a lane or two) is closed from Gardiner to Topsham, with the northbound lanes shifted over onto them.  That means you have to take the Maine Turnpike to ME 196 to get to Brunswick or Freeport, and that pretty much ruled out any visit to L.L. Bean or DeLorme (in Yarmouth).

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Ian

Quote from: OracleUsr on July 29, 2009, 07:36:37 PM

HOWEVER, I was in Maine back a few weeks ago, travelling through Portland to get to Lubec.  Mapquest suggested taking I-295 from Portland.

The entire SOUTHBOUND direction (not just a lane or two) is closed from Gardiner to Topsham, with the northbound lanes shifted over onto them.  That means you have to take the Maine Turnpike to ME 196 to get to Brunswick or Freeport, and that pretty much ruled out any visit to L.L. Bean or DeLorme (in Yarmouth).

Oh great, I'm going to all of those areas when I go to Maine in about a month  :banghead:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Sykotyk

Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 29, 2009, 10:13:38 PM
Quote from: OracleUsr on July 29, 2009, 07:36:37 PM

Oh great, I'm going to all of those areas when I go to Maine in about a month  :banghead:

Yep, I had a friend who was up there while it was closed.

What makes it so bad is that there's no sign north of the I-95/I-295 split to warn you. I mean, other than the toll, it's only 6 miles further or so to stay on I-95. Considering the Turnpike might be interested in extra revenue, you'd think a sign would've been put up for it.

Sykotyk

OracleUsr

Perhaps.  I can't understand what 20 miles of I-295 needs so badly that the DOT resorted to this.

Off-topic, I really don't think Mapquest half the time knows what they're talking about.  I looked at an atlas later on and saw the route I did take to Lubec (I-395->US 1A->US 1->ME 189) as per Mapquest versus what looked to me like would have been a shorter, at least time-wise, route (I-395->ME 9->ME 191->US 1->ME 189).  Would have loved to be able to see more than just the light of the West Quoddy Head Lighthouse, but that's for another time.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

AZDude

Yeah, we get disrespect like that here in Arizona too.  Example...

This takes place when I was in high school.  There is a long stretch of uninterupted two lane street that is clearly the preferred route to the school.  Any other roads leading up to the school would be redundant (at least for the people coming from my direction).  Anyway.  The last two years I was in high school the street was under construction.  The problem was that they would close the entire road during the school year and open it back up during the summer when almost no one was using it!  :banghead:  The first year (after opening during summer) I thought it was finished.  All the construction signs removed.  But sure enough within the first month of school starting in August the road would be closed and it stayed that way until late May.  What is with that crap?  Why not do constrution during the summer when nobody is using the road!

This also happened when I went to college a year later.

The main road was closed during the time when everyone was moving into the dorms.  Same thing, about a three mile strech of open road with a 50 mph speed limit.  Closed and redirecting traffic onto 25 - 35 mph roads!  :banghead:  So f****** inconsiderate.  At least this only lasted for a about two weeks.

How odd that this would happen in two different places on opposite sides of the state?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.