News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mon-Fayette Expressway

Started by Mr_Northside, August 03, 2009, 10:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: algorerhythms on June 29, 2010, 10:16:02 AM

There's a description of why no direct connection was made at the time at the bottom of this page. The gist of it is that I-70 was built with Federal funding and if that were used to build the interchange, the rules at the time would have required the PTC to stop collecting tolls when their bonds were retired.

Because the PTC was unwilling to use its own revenues for an interchange at Breezewood, State highway officials used Federal-aid highway funds to extend I-70 north beyond the turnpike to a terminus with U.S. 30. Consistent with Section 113(b), this configuration allowed motorists to use a toll-free route (U.S. 30) or the turnpike to travel east or west of Breezewood.

Direct ramps wouldn't change that. Westbound I-70 motorists could still use US 30 without being tolled.

Breezewood is different than the other Turnpike-Interstate crossings because it's a continuation of I-70 that's involved. And there was no issue about connecting the Turnpike to I-83.

I still say it's ridiculous not to include a state's turnpike commission inside the larger transportation agency. The two bureaus should play nice with one another. During the SEPA meet tour of the Philly traffic center, it was mentioned that the Turnpike's traffic cam system isn't compatible with what the traffic management system is using.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PAHighways

Quote from: hbelkins on June 30, 2010, 12:06:21 PMAnd there was no issue about connecting the Turnpike to I-83.

Interstate 83, or US 111 as it was known then, was being built at the same time as the Philadelphia Extension.  The former Perry Highway interchange was built when the Western Extension was under construction at the same time US 19 was being relocated.

Quote from: hbelkins on June 30, 2010, 12:06:21 PMDuring the SEPA meet tour of the Philly traffic center, it was mentioned that the Turnpike's traffic cam system isn't compatible with what the traffic management system is using.

They also use different radio systems.  PTC is still using analog VHF while PennDOT has gone to the trunked 800 MHz "OpenSky" network, and the PTC is to use that but for whatever reason has remained on the old system.

vdeane

Quote from: PAHighways on June 29, 2010, 01:04:57 PM
Quote from: deanej on June 29, 2010, 12:41:24 PMWhy couldn't I-70 have been given an interchange at Breezewood as well as a direct connection?

Basically the business owners protested any ramp connection because they felt that revenue would dry up in proportion to traffic on 30 (yes, I know that is ridiculous and 80-85% of traffic using 70 does not stop at any establishment).
I meant when it was first built.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

Quote from: deanej on June 30, 2010, 02:48:37 PM

there were businesses on US-30 that far back!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PAHighways

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 30, 2010, 03:17:08 PM
Quote from: deanej on June 30, 2010, 02:48:37 PM

The Gateway Truck Stop started it all, as it has been in business practically since the Turnpike interchange opened.

vdeane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 30, 2010, 03:17:08 PM
But they weren't getting traffic from I-70 that they could complain about losing.  You can't lose something you don't have, no matter how much the crybabies in Breezewood might have claimed at the time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

Quote from: deanej on July 01, 2010, 12:31:45 PM
But they weren't getting traffic from I-70 that they could complain about losing.  You can't lose something you don't have, no matter how much the crybabies in Breezewood might have claimed at the time.

there was traffic on US-30.  Furthermore, in Politician Space (any resemblance to actual reality is purely coincidental), you can cry over losing something you never actually had.  How do you think the Democratic party stays viable all these years??
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Going back to deanej's post from 6/26 and my reply, looks like I was right.  According to this Charleston Gazette article, the original plan was to have PTC run the toll booth on the WV side, but PTC wanted to use video tolling, and such video equipment is illegal in WV under a 2006 law.  So this is why WV is handling the tolling on their side of the border and not PTC.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on August 17, 2010, 07:23:46 AM
Going back to deanej's post from 6/26 and my reply, looks like I was right.  According to this Charleston Gazette article, the original plan was to have PTC run the toll booth on the WV side, but PTC wanted to use video tolling, and such video equipment is illegal in WV under a 2006 law.  So this is why WV is handling the tolling on their side of the border and not PTC.

Seems like it would have been easier, and cheaper, to change the law.

froggie

Cheaper, perhaps.  Not necessarily easier, given the vagaries of lawmaking and legislative bodies...

Mr_Northside

Wow... so even when the plan was for the PTC to collect the tolls, they were still going to put ANOTHER mainline barrier between on the road between I-68 & Uniontown!?!  It's just my opinion, but the psychological effect of 2 toll plazas in a not-that-far distance is more of a deterrent to the use of the road than the toll amount itself (It "feels" worse opening your wallet (so to speak) twice for $1 than just once for $2 in the same amount of distance.)  They'd have to put up some north-off / south-on booths at that first exit in PA, but I suppose it's all a moot point anyway, as their plan seems pretty set.

Also, from the article:
QuoteWest Virginia's plaza will probably resemble the first toll plaza on Pennsylvania's side of the expressway, which features one E-ZPass only lane, and two lanes that will accept E-ZPass or cash payments

Sounds like all traffic, even EZ-Pass, will have to slow to at least 5mph (a stop for cash customers) at some point in WV; as the first plaza in PA doesn't have "express lanes" (being built over a decade ago, and prior to EZ-Pass even coming to the PTC mainline).  If this is the type of plaza (no "express lanes) WV is building here in 2010/2011... Well, way to reinforce that "Backwards Thinking" stereotype that WV gets sometimes.

That all being said, I do like that WV has a law banning the use of red-light cameras.  Not only are they being considered here in PA, but there was an article that had Rendell suggesting cameras to catch license plates to "bust" people driving without insurance.  I certainly don't think people should drive without insurance, but I just can't support where this traffic enforcement by automation & surveillance is headed... but all that is getting off-topic.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

mightyace

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 17, 2010, 03:06:55 PM
Wow... so even when the plan was for the PTC to collect the tolls, they were still going to put ANOTHER mainline barrier between on the road between I-68 & Uniontown!?!  It's just my opinion, but the psychological effect of 2 toll plazas in a not-that-far distance is more of a deterrent to the use of the road than the toll amount itself (It "feels" worse opening your wallet (so to speak) twice for $1 than just once for $2 in the same amount of distance.)  They'd have to put up some north-off / south-on booths at that first exit in PA, but I suppose it's all a moot point anyway, as their plan seems pretty set.

This point is moot as well, but if WV would have let the tolls be collected in PA, the WV video tolling law wouldn't apply, would it?  Or, would WV been against the concept regardless of where the toll was collected?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

froggie

No, the video tolling law wouldn't apply there as it wouldn't be within the state of West Virginia.

SP Cook

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 17, 2010, 03:06:55 PM
Sounds like all traffic, even EZ-Pass, will have to slow to at least 5mph (a stop for cash customers) at some point in WV; as the first plaza in PA doesn't have "express lanes" (being built over a decade ago, and prior to EZ-Pass even coming to the PTC mainline).  If this is the type of plaza (no "express lanes) WV is building here in 2010/2011... Well, way to reinforce that "Backwards Thinking" stereotype that WV gets sometimes.

The main WV Turnpike has huge toll backups, because the WVEDTPA is corrupt and does not care, but the road we are talking about will be lucky to see a few cars per hour now, and even if it is ever finished up at its north end in PA, will have traffic volumes that would make buying into "open road tolling" and such a great waste of money.

CanesFan27

The Washington (PA) Herald-Standard has some new reports on the progress of the Mon-Fayette Expressway in both Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

First, West Virginia has approved the plans on the toll plaza for WV 43 and construction is underway.  WVDOH plans to open the highway in the Spring of 2011.  As a result, PA 43 will now have a straight shot from Uniontown to Interstate 68.

On the Pennsylvania side, construction on the highway sections of the remainder of the Uniontown-to-Brownsville Link are well underway and ahead of schedule.  The Mon-Fayette highway bridge over the Monongahela River near Brownsville is schedule to be completed in 2012.

If the fast pace of the highway work continues, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission may consider opening parts of the highway prior to the Mon River bridge completion in the Spring of 2012.  This would most likely include: the opening of the high speed interchange with US 119 in Uniontown - creating a continuous freeway link in the area - and continuing the highway north another four miles beyond US 40 (Exit 22) to Bull Run Road (Exit 26) south of Brownsville.

Story: http://www.heraldstandard.com/news_detail/article/1631/2010/october/25/wva-expressway-toll-plaza-approved.html

Mr_Northside

Actually, the PTC had originally planned on opening the Uniontown interchange in Fall of this year.
The article you posted had one guy quoted as "set for completion by late November", but then also used the phrase "by the end of the year".
It will be interesting to see what or if they open anything on the other end prior to the Mon-River bridge opening.

http://www.mfe-union-to-brown.com/photos.htm

There are some updating traffic cameras that show the current shape of either the Uniontown Interchange and also the Mon-River Bridge.
(They also do a decent job of updating still photos of the stretch of highway as well)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mr_Northside

Got a brief glimpse of the highway @ I-68 this weekend.  It's been said here for a while the interchange won't be any sort of freeway-freeway thing, but I couldn't even tell if they're doing anything of importance (looked like they were putting in traffic lights on the southeast part).  Though extending north, the highway itself looks pretty done. 
Though I didn't really have the chance to get off 68 and check it out, as I stayed with a bunch of friends at a resort in WV on the MD border this weekend.  Unfortunately it was already dark on the way there, and on the way home I was part of a "convoy" stopping for lunch in Morgantown (If you're in that area and looking for Mexican food, I highly recommend "Los Mariachis" on WV-705)

hbelkins

Best I can tell, from doing some exploring in the area back in October and driving by it on I-68 westbound this weekend, is that the interchange is being reconfigured to tie directly into the new route, with an auxiliary interchange a bit north to connect to CR 857. Looks like the ramp from WB 68 to NB 43 will lead directly into the new four-lane. Best I could tell, paving on the new four-lane is almost complete.

Mr_Northside

Yeah... that's how it looked from the glimpse I got going down the hill and around the bend.

CanesFan27

Basically PA/WV 43 is going to funnel into the existing diamond interchange that CR 857 has with 68.  If you are coming south from Uniontown.  Not a total freeway to freeway interchange... but it should be able to handle the traffic volume, so it makes sense why West Virginia did not opt to build the full interchange.

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

CanesFan27

It's accurate for when they build the full interchange...which may be decades away.  No idea if there will be stub ramps for the eventual interchange, I guess when we go home for Christmas I may get a chance to look (depending if they've changed any traffic patterns by then).

Mr_Northside

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10344/1109785-147.stm

The Uniontown-Brownsville section of Mon-Fayette will be easier to "get to" on Monday.

I wonder if all the ramps are 1-lane, or if the Mon-Fayette "mainline" ramps are 2-lane.

PAHighways

hbelkins

They already had most of the overhead signage in place, and covered up, on northbound US 119 when I was there back in June.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.