News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2di's that are one lane in each direction thru a major interchange

Started by pumpkineater2, December 10, 2014, 06:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

I-74 west bound at I-275 reduces to one lane. It looks like this wasn't always the case.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jakeroot

I swear to Christ somewhere in LA, I-5 South drops to one lane but I cannot figure out where. Perhaps I'm delusional.

US81

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 12, 2014, 05:33:37 PM
The furthest north portions of I-35W at the E/W split of I-35 in Denton, TX are one lane in each direction for a short distance. This may not last much longer because the interchange is being rebuilt.

I-35 at the I-40/I-235 interchange in downtown OKC uses a pair of one lane ramps.

I-49 follows a pair of one-lane ramps at each of its interchanges with I-44 near Joplin.

I-35W (southbound) at the Hillsboro split, although that is being reconstructed, too.

SSOWorld

Quote from: jakeroot on December 13, 2014, 01:03:34 AM
I swear to Christ somewhere in LA, I-5 South drops to one lane but I cannot figure out where. Perhaps I'm delusional.
East LA Interchange downtown (with I-10, US-101 and SR-60.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kendancy66

I am fairly certain that I-5 South never narrows down to less than 2 lanes.  I closest instance I can think of is where I-5 South and CA-60 East branches off to the left from I-10 west.  What they did there was add a second exit lane over a previous gore area, that I never use because it is way too rough.

dfwmapper

Quote from: US81 on December 13, 2014, 08:16:12 AM
I-35W (southbound) at the Hillsboro split, although that is being reconstructed, too.
The rebuild of the Hillsboro split was finished in 2009.

US81

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 13, 2014, 03:55:04 PM
Quote from: US81 on December 13, 2014, 08:16:12 AM
The rebuild of the Hillsboro split was finished in 2009.

It's hard to notice that a particular segment is done with all the ongoing construction on I-35, but I stand corrected.   

(Wow, was it really that long ago? I know I've been thru there since then several times. Senility, I guess)

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

pianocello

Both Mixmasters in Des Moines (the I-35/80/235 junctions) feature these: I-35 on the east end, and I-80 on the west. The east mixer is interesting southbound because the obvious thru movement (I-35 SB -> I-235 WB) is signed as a Left exit. (Street View)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

NE2

Quote from: pianocello on December 13, 2014, 10:06:39 PM
The east mixer is interesting southbound because the obvious thru movement (I-35 SB -> I-235 WB) is signed as a Left exit. (Street View)
Blame the MUTCD.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

I-74 where it splits off from I-465 on the east side of Indianapolis. Used to be the same on the west side until the interchange was rebuilt a couple years ago. I-74 shows up a lot on this list.

NE2

Are there any cases where it clearly doesn't take a ramp or merges equally with another route (such as I-74 west at I-275), but takes the obvious straight movement yet still goes down to one lane? For example, SR 125 south at I-8 in San Diego would count if the former were an Interstate.

jakeroot

I-705 in Tacoma is one lane for about 500 yards (gore to gore) as exit and entrance ramps split and join respectively ... the thru lane is on the right:

Image from Interstate-Guide.com

Fucking hell nevermind, it's a 3di.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: NE2 on December 14, 2014, 01:37:40 AM
Are there any cases where it clearly doesn't take a ramp or merges equally with another route (such as I-74 west at I-275), but takes the obvious straight movement yet still goes down to one lane? For example, SR 125 south at I-8 in San Diego would count if the former were an Interstate.

It was already mentioned in this thread, and I'm not sure whether it meets the OP's definition of "major interchange," but I-70 and NB WV 2 (Wheeling) is the only one that comes to mind.  I'm pretty sure the lane reduction was made for the sake of avoiding sudden merges at the bridge and tunnel approaches, given the short distance (but that's probably old news to everyone here).
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

NE2

dfwmapper

I-8 eastbound drops to a single lane just before it merges with the ramp from I-5 southbound in San Diego.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.