News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Florida: I-4 Reconstruction Orlando

Started by Brian556, January 18, 2015, 06:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Just wanted to start a separate thread for this project since it is about to start.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

A rundown of interchange changes:
*SR 435 (Kirkman): essentially the same with the left exits moved to the right
*US 17-92-441 (OBT): ditto
*Michigan/Kaley: half diamonds facing towards each other, linked by frontage roads and U-turns
*SR 408: stack with one loop (this loop already built)
*SR 50 (Colonial): SPUI
*Ivanhoe: Y with access away from SR 50 only
*SR 414 (Maitland): complicated freeway-to-freeway
*SR 436 (Semoran): SPUI
*SR 434: 5-ramp parclo

Other interchanges are staying essentially the same.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

Quote from NE2:
QuoteA rundown of interchange changes:
*SR 435 (Kirkman): essentially the same with the left exits moved to the right
*US 17-92-441 (OBT): ditto
*Michigan/Kaley: half diamonds facing towards each other, linked by frontage roads and U-turns
*SR 408: stack with one loop (this loop already built)
*SR 50 (Colonial): SPUI
*Ivanhoe: Y with access away from SR 50 only
*SR 414 (Maitland): complicated freeway-to-freeway
*SR 436 (Semoran): SPUI
*SR 434: 5-ramp parclo

Concerning the SR 436 interchange, how much better (congestion-wise) do you think the SPUI will be?

Concerning the SR 50 interchange, I could see the SPUI creating a problem for drivers wishing to exit I-4 WB, and go south on Hughley (I-4 Frontage Rd)(sort of)). A SPUI wouldn't allow that movement. How will this be addressed?

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on January 18, 2015, 08:37:15 PM
Concerning the SR 50 interchange, I could see the SPUI creating a problem for drivers wishing to exit I-4 WB, and go south on Hughley (I-4 Frontage Rd)(sort of)). A SPUI wouldn't allow that movement. How will this be addressed?
It will allow that movement: http://www.cflroads.com/asset/file/45/I-4_OBT_to_Ivanhoe_Exhibit3_pdf

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

Quote from NE2:
It will allow that movement: http://www.cflroads.com/asset/file/45/I-4_OBT_to_Ivanhoe_Exhibit3_pdf

Not really a traditional SPUI with those straight movements. Looks like it will not have the shorter signal cycle benefits of a typical SPUI.

NE2

adventurernumber1

This sounds like a very interesting reconstruction.

I found this article on it: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-orlando-transportation-forecast-2015-0118-story.html

I-4 work will start rolling during February with the installation of concrete barrier walls, followed in March by land clearing and pile driving for new bridges.

And on and on it will go until completion in late 2020 or early 2021.

Though off-topic to this thread, the article also mentions this:

More asphalt will be laid on the Wekiva Parkway, a $1.66 billion toll road that is designed to finish the beltway around Orlando by filling in the missing loop, from I-4 near Sanford to State Road 429 by Apopka.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadman65

Also to note that at Kirkman, the long time missing movement from SB Kirkman to EB I-4 will be added including a connection between Major Boulevard and Oakridge Road via an overpass over I-4.  Though not directly related to I-4 itself, but it will help the local area traffic around that area that really needs to be addressed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2015, 02:00:52 AM
Also to note that at Kirkman, the long time missing movement from SB Kirkman to EB I-4 will be added including a connection between Major Boulevard and Oakridge Road via an overpass over I-4.  Though not directly related to I-4 itself, but it will help the local area traffic around that area that really needs to be addressed.
That movement has been available for quite some time by using International Drive; all that will change is that there will be a direct loop (and a direct ramp from I-4 east to SR 435 south). The overpass only provides access to the express lanes.

There will still be no access from SR 435 north to I-4 west, which is probably a small part of the reason for the backup on SR 482 west at International Drive.

roadman65

http://www.metroplanorlando.com/files/view/i-4-ultimate-project-presentation-march-2012.pdf

Here is some renderings of what is to come. A lot to support what NE 2 has pointed out already, but it may answer a lot of questions about the project.

Also the SR 50 SPUI drawing is top of the page to answer about how an SPUI works with service roads.  In fact go to the SR 50 and SR 436 intersection several miles east via google and it is already working in the field.

Sheryl Crowe

florida

Quote from: Brian556 on January 18, 2015, 08:37:15 PM
Concerning the SR 436 interchange, how much better (congestion-wise) do you think the SPUI will be?

It will be much, much better! You deal with three successive traffic lights in a tight spot (Wymore, East I-4 and West I-4), plus Cranes Roost Blvd probably doesn't help either. Wymore's crossing will be cut off at 436 which will drastically improve traffic flow just in that area alone.
So many roads...so little time.

roadman65

My personal suggestion is to build a couple of flyovers from SR 436 onto I-4 to eliminate the left turns.

Also for WB I-4 to JYP, a slip ramp from I-4 WB to LB McCleod should be built.  LB McCleod Road should be made one way WB with 33rd Street (the EB I-4 Frontage Road)becoming one way EB.  That flyover that is there was a complete flop and all it does is add weaving on JYP between the current ramp end to LB McCleod Road.  Most traffic exiting WB at JYP is bound for WB LB McCleod anyway so why not make it direct and at the same time make LB McCleod part of the ramp to John Young.

I think that Michigan Street should be closed all together, and Kaley should be the only exit there.  Most traffic that exits for Michigan is traffic bound for FL 527 SB which can be (and is much easier) reached via previous Kaley Street and a much better set up.  Michigan Street WB ramp requires a very tight 7:30 turn at the bottom of the ramp as I-4 and Michigan intersect at a very shallow angle where I-4 and Kaley meet at 90 degrees.  Most of the current ramp back ups occur because the truckers have to maneuver their big rigs around that tight turn at the bottom of the ramp.  Many truckers bound for the warehouses around the Orlando Airport use this exit as well that would benefit better using Kaley to SR 527 as well.

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on January 20, 2015, 10:51:17 AM
My personal suggestion is to build a couple of flyovers from SR 436 onto I-4 to eliminate the left turns.

Also for WB I-4 to JYP, a slip ramp from I-4 WB to LB McCleod should be built.  LB McCleod Road should be made one way WB with 33rd Street (the EB I-4 Frontage Road)becoming one way EB.  That flyover that is there was a complete flop and all it does is add weaving on JYP between the current ramp end to LB McCleod Road.  Most traffic exiting WB at JYP is bound for WB LB McCleod anyway so why not make it direct and at the same time make LB McCleod part of the ramp to John Young.

I think that Michigan Street should be closed all together, and Kaley should be the only exit there.  Most traffic that exits for Michigan is traffic bound for FL 527 SB which can be (and is much easier) reached via previous Kaley Street and a much better set up.  Michigan Street WB ramp requires a very tight 7:30 turn at the bottom of the ramp as I-4 and Michigan intersect at a very shallow angle where I-4 and Kaley meet at 90 degrees.  Most of the current ramp back ups occur because the truckers have to maneuver their big rigs around that tight turn at the bottom of the ramp.  Many truckers bound for the warehouses around the Orlando Airport use this exit as well that would benefit better using Kaley to SR 527 as well.

LB McLeod is a clusterfuck no matter how you slice it (I work near the intersection you quoted, so I know firsthand).

Hell, if we're wishing; if they're going to go to all the trouble of modifying the exit at Kirkland, I wish like hell they'd run C/D lanes from east of Conroy to west of Sand Lake (or at least from Conroy to past the Turnpike, that section is ugly on a good day).  If not, then they have GOT to do something about that Turnpike/I-4 interchange; that trumpet isn't gonna get it, you have two lanes coming westbound from Conroy trying to merge onto I-4 with the Turnpike exit less than a half-mile away...bad bad bad.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

codyg1985

This almost looks more like a landscaping project as much as it does a toll lane addition project.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

roadman65

Quote from: DeaconG on January 20, 2015, 05:18:07 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 20, 2015, 10:51:17 AM

LB McLeod is a clusterfuck no matter how you slice it (I work near the intersection you quoted, so I know firsthand).

Hell, if we're wishing; if they're going to go to all the trouble of modifying the exit at Kirkland, I wish like hell they'd run C/D lanes from east of Conroy to west of Sand Lake (or at least from Conroy to past the Turnpike, that section is ugly on a good day).  If not, then they have GOT to do something about that Turnpike/I-4 interchange; that trumpet isn't gonna get it, you have two lanes coming westbound from Conroy trying to merge onto I-4 with the Turnpike exit less than a half-mile away...bad bad bad.
Agreed about the Conroy onramp being too close to the Turnpike offramp.  Yes a c/d road or braided ramps will be better for that nightmare.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.