News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Suicide ramps at I-40 exit 1 in Memphis

Started by bugo, January 20, 2015, 01:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

When I was young (probably 1982-84) my aunt and uncle lived in Memphis, and I recall driving up Riverside Drive and getting onto I-40 and seeing a suicide ramp WAY up in the air. Next time I went through there in the mid-90s it was gone. Was this a stub for the aborted Riverfront Freeway or something else?

NE2

This? If not, it's possible that one of the current ramps was not yet connected.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

This ramp was way in the air and headed west. I seem to remember it turning south a bit. Maybe it's faulty memory, but I could swear I saw it.

codyg1985

I think those ramps were indeed supposed to connect to the Riverfront Freeway that would have connected with TN 300. Was the interchange finished when you went through there in the early 80s?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 20, 2015, 06:41:45 AM
I think those ramps were indeed supposed to connect to the Riverfront Freeway that would have connected with TN 300.

I can confirm that.  That proposed freeway was killed due to costs, leftover backlash from the Overton Park mess, and issues with the glideslope for the Dewitt Spain airport.   Long range plans called for a "Great River Parkway" to continue up through Northhaven, up towards Shelby Forest, connecting to an extension of what's become 385/269.

(My father was an urban planner with Memphis/Shelby County.  My mother was a volunteer for Overton Park.  It made for some interesting arguments at home.)

iBallasticwolf2

I don't think that the Riverfront freeway would have helped too much
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.