News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

Quote from: empirestate on September 18, 2019, 07:53:03 AM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 16, 2019, 07:46:45 PM
The I-84 exit for US 9W in Newburgh still bears the number "10".

Speaking of exit 10, ever notice how lane striping doesn't permit any traffic from east of Beacon to use it? The right lane of the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge is formed by the ramp entering from NY 9D, and has a solid/dashed line that allows merging out of but not into it. West of the bridge it becomes just a solid line, reinforced by "Stay in Lane"  signs, until after you pass exit 10S.

So what's the "official"  route for east-of-Beacon traffic bound for Newburgh/US 9W? :-)

iPhone

The striping question is really a two part question - on the bridge and west of the bridge.

On the bridge, the right lane is frequently closed.  The dashed lines are there to permit Route 9D traffic to get out of the right lane when it is closed.  Through traffic could never enter the right lane on the bridge; there was dashed striping just west of the bridge to permit that move.

West of the bridge a big reconstruction project is being wrapped up.  There is a sign about repaving.  I would think that the striping there now is temporary.  During the construction, right lane traffic had to get off at Exit 10N.  I assume that when the project is finished dashed striping will be there from west of the bridge.  Until then one just has to cross the solid line to use Exit 10S.
C-o-H

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 18, 2019, 02:18:55 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 18, 2019, 02:08:28 PM
After Interstate 84's sequential-to-mileage-based exit renumbering is completed, and the Hutchinson River Parkway converts next year, are there any other roads in New York that have a set date for the same conversion? Or do all the rest of the freeways/tollways and parkways in New York State have no conversion date set yet?
IMHO, I-684 would be a logical candidate for such.

I agree. And since Region 8 seems to be taking the lead here, I wouldn't be shocked if that or the Sprain is the next major route to change. But there is no official conversion date for anything else.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 18, 2019, 02:50:21 PM
On the bridge, the right lane is frequently closed.  The dashed lines are there to permit Route 9D traffic to get out of the right lane when it is closed.  Through traffic could never enter the right lane on the bridge; there was dashed striping just west of the bridge to permit that move.

You say that like people follow the striping when the right lane is open. But since the right lane is only open for the PM rush or when the left lane is closed for something, it's rarely a concern.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Quote from: cl94 on September 18, 2019, 03:15:33 PM
You say that like people follow the striping when the right lane is open. But since the right lane is only open for the PM rush or when the left lane is closed for something, it's rarely a concern.

Ah so that's the deal. It's open during rush hours.

I do recall back in the late 90s there were three lanes open across the bridge in both directions at all times. I guess at some point in the range of 10-20 years ago someone at NYSBA decided the bridge should have a lane normally closed for shoulder's sake.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kalvado

An interesting photo in today's Times Union:
https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/00/16/66/16838025/3/975x0.jpg
Photo is said to be from 1978. Apparently both directions are on a single span, pavement marking is weird, and speed limit is 40. Is there some work going on on the other span? Is 40 the work zone limit?

crispy93

Quote from: cl94 on September 18, 2019, 03:15:33 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on September 18, 2019, 02:18:55 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 18, 2019, 02:08:28 PM
After Interstate 84's sequential-to-mileage-based exit renumbering is completed, and the Hutchinson River Parkway converts next year, are there any other roads in New York that have a set date for the same conversion? Or do all the rest of the freeways/tollways and parkways in New York State have no conversion date set yet?
IMHO, I-684 would be a logical candidate for such.

I agree. And since Region 8 seems to be taking the lead here, I wouldn't be shocked if that or the Sprain is the next major route to change. But there is no official conversion date for anything else.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 18, 2019, 02:50:21 PM

I'm interested to see how the HRP conversion goes since R11 doesn't post mile markers in NYC. The lowest posted mm is 6.x at the Bronx/Wch line. They need to be replaced, some of the guide signs aren't even legible at night. Plus it'd be nice if the I-684 exit got a number. The Sprain's signs seem fine to me, but then again so did the Taconic's before they got replaced.

I asked NYSDOT about when the Palisades Parkway is getting new signs, and if when that time comes, will the exit numbers be converted. I was told there is no current project, but the exits would be posted "in accordance with current federal standards" regarding exit numbers. The PIP's signs are showing their age.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

shadyjay

Quote from: kalvado on September 19, 2019, 02:32:13 PM
Photo is said to be from 1978. Apparently both directions are on a single span, pavement marking is weird, and speed limit is 40. Is there some work going on on the other span? Is 40 the work zone limit?

Is that the Twin Bridges on the Northway just north of Albany? 

Looks like the solid white line is the demarcation between the two temporary lanes, with the weird pavement markings being the permanent lane markings for a normal width 3 lane bridge. 

kalvado

Quote from: shadyjay on September 19, 2019, 06:18:37 PM
Quote from: kalvado on September 19, 2019, 02:32:13 PM

Is that the Twin Bridges on the Northway just north of Albany? 

Looks like the solid white line is the demarcation between the two temporary lanes, with the weird pavement markings being the permanent lane markings for a normal width 3 lane bridge.
Yes, the second bridge can be seen through the fog

seicer

I wish there was a vantage point to photograph this bridge.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

seicer

Odd. I think I was looking up on the bluff but had the view impeded by a power line and not closer to the river.

cl94

Quote from: seicer on September 20, 2019, 02:02:25 PM
Odd. I think I was looking up on the bluff but had the view impeded by a power line and not closer to the river.

Yeah, you're not getting anything up on the bluff.

Planes that use Runway 1/19 in/out of ALB generally have an excellent bird's-eye view of the bridges, too. I didn't get a good picture when I flew out last month due to lighting, but I have gotten excellent pictures in the past.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

02 Park Ave

The north span of the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge will be re-decked, tolls will be increased, and all electronic tolling will begin.

Read all about it:  https://www.recordonline.com/news/20190919/newburgh-beacon-bridge-to-be-redecked-in-20-tolls-to-rise
C-o-H

jp the roadgeek

Quoting myself here for ease of access.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 05, 2019, 08:24:48 PM
Here's what I would think the Hutch numbering would look like:

Exit 1A: Bruckner Blvd WEST (NB); TO I-95 SOUTH/I-278 WEST Bruckner Blvd (SB)
Exit 1B: East Tremont Ave/Westchester Ave
Exit 2 A-B: Pelham Parkway East/West
Exit 3A (SB ONLY): I-95 SOUTH TO I-695/I-295 Throgs Neck Br//Stillwell Ave
Exit 3B (SB ONLY): Baychester Ave//TO I-95 NORTH New Haven
Exit 4: Shore Rd Orchard Beach/City Island
Exit 5 (NB ONLY): I-95 NORTH New Haven
Exit 6 (6A SB): US 1 Pelham Manor(/New Rochelle SB)
Exit 6B (SB ONLY): Sandford Blvd Pelham Manor/Mt Vernon
Exit 7A: Wolfs Land Mt Vernon/Pelham (NB); East 3rd St Mt Vernon/Pelham (SB)
Exit 7B: East Lincoln Ave Pelham/Mt Vernon
Exit 8A (NB ONLY): Cross County Parkway WEST TO Saw Mill Parkway Yonkers
Exit 8B (NB ONLY): Pelhamdale Ave/New Rochelle Rd New Rochelle
Exit 9 (SB ONLY): Cross County Parkway WEST TO Saw Mill Parkway Yonkers/GW Bridge
Exit 10A: Webster Ave New Rochelle (NB); Mill Rd EAST New Rochelle (SB)
Exit 10B: North Ave New Rochelle/Eastchester (NB); Mill Rd WEST Eastchester (SB)
Exit 11 (SB ONLY): Wilmot Rd
Exit 12: NY 125 Scarsdale/New Rochelle
Exit 13: Mamaroneck Rd Scarsdale/Mamaroneck
Exit 14 A-B: Mamaroneck Ave SOUTH/NORTH
Exit 16: NY 127 White Plains/Harrison
Exit 17A: Westchester Ave EAST//TO I-287 EAST Rye
Exit 17B: Westchester Ave WEST//TO I-287 West Tappan Zee Br (yes, I left the old name)
Exit 17C (NB ONLY): I-684 NORTH Brewster
Exit 18A: NY 120 TO Westchester Co Airport  Purchase St
Exit 18B: Lincoln Ave Rye Brook/Harrison
Exit 19: North Ridge St Rye Brook
Exit 20: NY 120A SOUTH Rye Brook/Greenwich (Merritt Exit 27 will be CT Exit 1.  GET ON THE BALL CTDOT)

As for the Palisades: only question is will the numbers reset at the NY line or will everything be from Fort Lee?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

D-Dey65

Quote from: crispy93 on August 29, 2019, 04:31:31 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on August 24, 2019, 11:29:40 AM
Any new pics for the I-84 sign replacement and exit conversion?

Here's Exit 50 (old 15) https://i.imgur.com/JIlIuSL.jpg
And Exit 68 (old 20) https://i.imgur.com/8H41s5J.jpg

The signs are replaced east of the Hudson, haven't been to Newburgh in a few weeks but I imagine it's made its way to Orange County.
The one for Exit 68 even has an Old Exits 20 S-N supplement sign. Not the standard square tab, but still impressive.

The Ghostbuster

Why doesn't the Exit 50 sign not have an old 15 sign? Did they forget to install it? Did it fall off?

vdeane

They might not be putting them on every sign.  If I remember right, when I-395 in CT converted, only the first advance sign got the "old exit XX" tab.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abqtraveler

Quote from: vdeane on September 26, 2019, 08:41:55 PM
They might not be putting them on every sign.  If I remember right, when I-395 in CT converted, only the first advance sign got the "old exit XX" tab.
Connecticut is placing the "Old Exit" placard on the first advanced guide sign and the exit sign in the ramp gore.  As was the case with I-395 and Route 2A, CONNDOT is taking the same approach when it replaces signs and renumbers exits on Route 72 next year.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

route17fan

Speaking of I-84 (NY), I was in R8 this past weekend and noticed sign posts just past exit 2 eastbound in the median right at a No U Turn location. Any idea what they are for? Obviously a sign install, but I am not sure what kind.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

KEVIN_224

I was with a friend on Tuesday, traveling to a baseball game in Central Islip, Suffolk County. Anyways, I saw all the construction at the I-95/I-297 interchange (Exit 21) in Port Chester/Rye. I don't know if the ramp from I-287 East to I-95 North was a temporary ramp or the existing one with temporary structures attached to either side. I do know the Grace Church Street bridge nearby also had rebuild going on.

As a fun question: When they removed the old toll plaza on I-95 in New Rochelle, what did they do with that HUGE I-95 shield that was on it? :)

Lastly, a part fun/part confusing question: Why are there seemingly a million parkways all over Nassau and Suffolk County? The only parkways in Connecticut are with Route 15 and two distinct sections: The Merritt from the Housatonic River south/west to the NY border and the Wilbur Cross from the Housatonic River north/east to the I-91 junction in Meriden.  :hmmm:

Coming over the Sikorsky Bridge southbound, from Milford into Stratford (10/1/2019)

SignBridge

That's because Connecticut didn't have Robert Moses.

Alps

1) CT also has the Milford Parkway and a bunch of secondary highway beach connectors.
2) One of the two I-95 shields is preserved somewhere. It should eventually be on display somewhere else. The other is either a political gift or scrap metal.

astralentity

I saw this morning while bringing my folks to the airport, that the new Northway "exit 3" southbound on ramp is open, and the old exit 4 on ramp is closed.  What's the planned finishing timeframe for that mess?

kalvado

Quote from: astralentity on October 04, 2019, 06:39:26 AM
I saw this morning while bringing my folks to the airport, that the new Northway "exit 3" southbound on ramp is open, and the old exit 4 on ramp is closed.  What's the planned finishing timeframe for that mess?
Those ramps are open for a week at least. But it will be worse before becoming better. Repavement of main road is apparently being planned, and that will be interesting. Flyover ramp seems to require a bit more work.
I would speculate that southbound portion may be done on 2 -3 weeks, but northbound may go on hold till next season

ixnay

KEVIN_224, that sign should be blue and say (in best Ryan Seacrest style) THIS IS THE MERRITT PARKWAY in button copy.

ixnay

KEVIN_224

Ha ha! No Ryan Seacrest for me, thank you! :p

Yes, I forgot about the Milford roadway. I looked at that as more of a connector road, if anything.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.