News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cities Without Asphalt

Started by Marc, August 18, 2009, 02:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I was wondering if there were any other U.S. (or international) cities that use virtually all concrete (even on city and residential streets). I had no idea something like this was possible until I moved to Houston. I would take an educated guess that 98% of the streets here in Houston are concrete, while 180 miles to the west, the direct opposite can be said for San Antonio. I've always wondered if there are any other cities out there that use virtually all concrete. If so, why do you think this is? Is it just a regional thing?

rawr apples

Detroit used a lot of concrete, not sure if that's still the case. Haven't paid attention to the roads up there.

Now shut up and drivee

froggie

Slidell, LA has a lot of concrete...though you can't call it a "city without asphalt" since all the major route (I-10, I-12, US 11, US 190) have asphalt segments within the city limits.

rawmustard

Quote from: rawr apples on August 18, 2009, 03:29:27 AM
Detroit used a lot of concrete, not sure if that's still the case. Haven't paid attention to the roads up there.

I know several residential streets in some of the suburbs were concrete the last time I saw them. Several arterials are concrete also, but many of them have gotten asphalt overlays over the years.

Mr_Northside

Back in the 80's (when I was probably in 4th grade), we'd visit my aunt & uncle in Fairlawn, Ohio (a suburb of Akron) almost all of the local roads were concrete.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

UptownRoadGeek

The NOLA subrubs have 95% concrete streets while the city itself has 98% asphalt streets.  All ground level freeways in the NOLA area are asphalt while I think they are all concrete in Baton Rouge.

Duke87

Can't say I've seen too many local streets paved in concrete. It's pretty much strictly a freeway thing around here. And even then, you see a lot more asphalt than concrete.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Bryant5493

Most of the interstates in Metro Atlanta are asphalt, for the most part.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

roadfro

Reno, NV is slowly using more and more Portland cement concrete at reconstructed intersections and intersection approaches.  They've also done a few arterial sections as PCC as well.  But by no means are they switching to concrete on all streets.

When considering initial costs, PCC pavements are way more expensive to build than asphalt pavements. However, the PCC pavement will require far less rehabilitation and preventative maintenance than asphalt.  Typically, the cost/benefit analysis will show that asphalt is the more cost-effective solution in the long term.

I think Reno is getting it somewhat right by using PCC at intersections and approaches. Typically, the worst pavement on a road is going to be at signalized intersections, where rutting occurs as the vehicles (especially trucks) slow down and queue. By using a higher-strength PCC option in these areas, rutting is far less likely to occur, which may result in not having to repave the asphalt sections of the street as often.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Snappyjack

When I went through Souix City, Iowa, it seemed to be all concrete. Souix Falls, SD too.

rawmustard

Quote from: roadfro on August 21, 2009, 09:04:13 PM
I think Reno is getting it somewhat right by using PCC at intersections and approaches. Typically, the worst pavement on a road is going to be at signalized intersections, where rutting occurs as the vehicles (especially trucks) slow down and queue. By using a higher-strength PCC option in these areas, rutting is far less likely to occur, which may result in not having to repave the asphalt sections of the street as often.

I noticed this in Grand Rapids at several intersections a couple weeks ago as well. Kalamazoo has a similar treatment at Portage and Cork streets, and with your explanation, now I realize why they were done that way.

Mergingtraffic

I've always wondered why southern states use almost all concrete, where it's not cold and some northern states, especially in the northeast use asphalt.

An example, CT paved over their cement highways with asphaly over the last 20 years or so.  But, the few remaining cement areas have been smoothed out and have lasted for 20-30 years.  Where asphalt is usually 7-10 years without a fix or patch.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadfro

Quote from: doofy103I've always wondered why southern states use almost all concrete, where it's not cold and some northern states, especially in the northeast use asphalt.

Asphalt is a tricky animal because it is very susceptible to temperature changes as a somewhat elastic material.

In hotter temperatures, asphalt gets more flexible.  The weight of vehicles passing over the surface, or stopped in the case of intersections, causes increased deformations (rutting) and damage to the surface.  Concrete doesn't have this problem, so it is generally considered more on higher volume roads.

In colder temperatures, the flexibility of asphalt has a bit better advantage. It adjusts slightly better under freeze/thaw cycles.  Concrete slabs may be jolted up in similar situations, and with the way concrete expands and contracts under varying temperatures, that slab may never reset to a level position.

Hope that gives you some idea.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Duke87

^^^yeah, and then you have "slab curl". Which is... exactly what it sounds like. Concrete slab sections curling upward due to the top drying out and baking in the sun while the bottom sits cool and moist against the ground. Head up I-684 south of exit 3 for a nice example what that feels like to drive on.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.