News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Small arrows on signposts

Started by 6a, March 07, 2015, 05:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6a

On the left signpost, below the route markers and directional arrow are three small arrows that I assume are stuck to the post with an adhesive. I have only noticed these in smaller towns and rural roads, and they always appear in groups of three. The direction of the arrows varies - in this case, two down and one "northeast". Sometimes they are on a signpost, other times on a utility pole, but without fail they are white on black, three to a group, and always at an intersection or decision point.

At this point, to say my mind has wandered far about these things is an understatement; are they directions to a volunteer fire station (given the rural nature)? Instructions to road crews? Utility markings? I'm afraid the real answer will be a disappointment but I must ask...does anyone know what these mean?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

6a

Thank you for your timely and relevant reply to my question.

vtk

I've been wondering about those too. I've seen them in several places around Ohio, including the Columbus area.  I've figured out that the down arrows signify advance warning of a turn; all three arrows in the same direction mean the route turns that way at that intersection.  The distance from the advance markers to the actual turn, and presence on freeways, suggests they are probably meant for auto traffic.  Maybe one of us should follow one of these posted routes to see where it goes.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hbelkins

Arrows used to appear on road sign posts and utility poles in my area that didn't seem to make any sense. Then I figured out that they were placed to show people hauling rides and carnival games for traveling carnivals where to go to get from gig to gig. In advance of the show going from town to town, someone would come along and post arrows to show the drivers the way.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

6a

Quote from: hbelkins on March 07, 2015, 11:23:05 PM
Arrows used to appear on road sign posts and utility poles in my area that didn't seem to make any sense. Then I figured out that they were placed to show people hauling rides and carnival games for traveling carnivals where to go to get from gig to gig. In advance of the show going from town to town, someone would come along and post arrows to show the drivers the way.
Ok yeah, that would make sense. I only see these in the type of area where those would set up and, as far as I can tell, there are no arrows for the opposing side. Like vtk said I'd love to figure out the full code though. Like in this case, does down/down/right mean no/no/yes on 33/36/4? Keep going past two intersections and go right at the third?

vtk

Quote from: 6a on March 08, 2015, 08:02:30 AM
Like in this case, does down/down/right mean no/no/yes on 33/36/4? Keep going past two intersections and go right at the third?

That could be it, but maybe not.  I was thinking down/down/right is simply the first warning, then (subject to availability of a post) down/right/right is a second warning, then finally right/right/right is where one actually turns right.  If I've got the location correct for that pic, it doesn't seem to make sense if it's counting intersections literally.  After the gore shown, the next split is the choice between US 33 W vs US 33/36 E & OH 4 N; if one doesn't go right at that split, it's many miles on US 33 W before the next exit.  I guess the answer should be at that gore; if it's down/right/right, then it really does count intersctions; if it's right/right/right, then it's more an approximate expression of distance.

Mr. Matté

I'm trying to figure out the logic of the arrows in this specific instance.

From west to east along US 36 in the area, here's other locations of the arrows and compass orientation (north straight up; arrows present in August 2014, not in the shitty GSV from Oct. 2008):

* Before the SR 4 intersection I - S S NW
* Before the SR 4 intersection II - S NW NW
* At the SR 4 intersection - NW NW NW
* Just past the SR 4 intersection - N
* Original photo - S S NE
* Further up the interchange - NE NE NE ?

I occasionally see small areas of paint on roads around here that denote cycling routes for charity or century rides so perhaps they're related to that here, but why the different orientations within one post and why they're not on other posts west of here (like at SR 814) I don't know.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NE2 on March 07, 2015, 05:56:33 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20041208031836/http://www.tackamarks.freeservers.com/

Conspiracy websites make for good, entertaining reading on a Sunday.

6a

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 08, 2015, 02:46:47 PM

From west to east along US 36 in the area, here's other locations of the arrows and compass orientation (north straight up; arrows present in August 2014, not in the shitty GSV from Oct. 2008):

* Before the SR 4 intersection I - S S NW
* Before the SR 4 intersection II - S NW NW
* At the SR 4 intersection - NW NW NW
* Just past the SR 4 intersection - N
* Original photo - S S NE
* Further up the interchange - NE NE NE ?

That lends itself to vtk's idea of progressively warning about a turn, I'm thinking.

I occasionally see small areas of paint on roads around here that denote cycling routes for charity or century rides so perhaps they're related to that here, but why the different orientations within one post and why they're not on other posts west of here (like at SR 814) I don't know.

Hmmmm, bikes would benefit from the smaller arrow in a way that a car doing 60 wouldn't but I *have* seen these on the freeway part of US 33 as well. The mystery deepens...

Edit: I wonder if down and up mean the same thing, just depending on who is placing the stickers that day.

hbelkins

Speaking of paint on roads, several years ago I kept noticing little markings on the pavement on area roads. One day when I had a day off from work, I set out to follow them. They ended up leading me into some guy's driveway somewhere between Paris and Georgetown, Ky., and there was a man operating a tractor who pulled up to see why I was in his driveway. I told him that I had been following the arrows on the road. He said he was president of the Bluegrass Cycling Club, the arrows were directions for a bicycling tour (there's a name for them, a person's name, but I can't think of it off the top of my head). The tours were qualifiers (called brevets) for an international race in France.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 08, 2015, 02:46:47 PM

* Before the SR 4 intersection I - S S NW ahead, turn slight left
* Before the SR 4 intersection II - S NW NW ahead (getting close), turn slight left
* At the SR 4 intersection - NW NW NW turn slight left here
* Just past the SR 4 intersection - N ? *
* Original photo - S S NE ahead, turn slight right
* Further up the interchange - NE NE NE ? turn slight right here

Quote annotated with my interpretation. *The only one I'm questioning is the single up arrow; I only recall seeing groups of three in the field.  Maybe it's a reassurance that the route has been correctly followed through the turn?  I don't think a down arrow is equivalent to an up arrow; I've never seen one or two up arrows used to indicate advance warning of a turn.  Theoretically, if a route goes straight through an intersection where a driver's instincts insist turning is the default movement, then a down/down/up, down/up/up, up/up/up sequence would be called for.

PurdueBill

US 30 also has its share; also usually in groups of 3.

The first rule of tiny arrows: do not talk about tiny arrows.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on March 07, 2015, 11:23:05 PM
Several people here agree: http://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/comments/2cvm9x/what_are_these_paper_arrows_taped_to_highway/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

6a

Ahhh, this guy...

Quotedlbarker 3 points 7 months ago
Those are direction arrows for a traveling show or similar. The down arrows are a "turn ahead" mark and when all point the same way, that is the "turn here".
Source: Grandparents explained the system to me. They traveled with circuses.

...is confirming vtk's theory. There really is a reddit for everything, isn't there?

PurdueBill

How do the sets of arrows linger so long?  The same ones sometimes last long enough to be captured on street view and are still there a year later or more.  What if another show comes along and misses removing one of the sets from someone else?  Seems like a lot of trouble to go to.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.