News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Was any of US 82 in Texas a freeway in 1976?

Started by bugo, March 20, 2015, 11:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I remember as a very young child riding in the middle of the front seat (this was way before anybody used car seats, much less seatbelts) and I saw some overpasses. I told my mom "I want to go OVER the bridges!" My mom said that I was 2 and we were going to Ruidoso, NM. My grandmother was with us, and she always took US 82 across Texas. This has to be one of my earliest road-related memories. It would have had to have been in the summer of 1976 because I remember the air conditioner being on and I would open my mouth and let the air blow in my mouth. I also remember very well that it was a GM car. My grandparents had a '73 Buick LeSabre at that time, so it was probably that car. Speaking of the LeSabre, once as a very young child I was riding in the back seat on the way to Biloxi. I decide that I'm going to open the door so I did. Fortunately I wasn't hurt but I really freaked out my mom and grandmother. They pulled over (and probably busted my ass) and took the doorhandles off. I never did it again. Anyway, what rural sections of US 82 were open to traffic in the summer of 1976?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bobby5280

The overlap with US-287 between Henrietta and Wichita Falls would have been one of the few places with any freeway segments along US-82 back in the 1970's. US-82 obviously has a few more freeway like segments now.

Kell Freeway in Wichita Falls didn't start getting built until the 1980's (and has only been completed in recent years). The Marsha Sharp Freeway in Lubbock is new.

I don't know when the freeway bypass around Albany, GA was built. I know it was there in the early 1990's though. I don't know the history of the freeway segments of US-82 in Mississippi (Columbus to Starkville).

Parts of US-82 in North Texas could or even may be upgraded to freeway facilities as that region continues to add population. Some parts of US-82 between Paris and Sherman are in Super 2 configuration and have a few freeway style exits.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.