News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

A Bronx Tale (movie)

Started by M3019C LPS20, April 13, 2015, 02:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3019C LPS20

A Bronx Tale is a 1993 movie, which was Robert DeNiro's directorial debut. It takes place in the Bronx in N.Y. in the 1960s; however, in actuality, various scenes take place outside of the borough, such as neighborhoods in Astoria, Queens and Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. Only one scene to my knowledge is from the Bronx (City Island scene). Robert DeNiro wanted the layout to appear similar to 1960s New York City, and I give him kudos for that. During production, permission was granted by N.Y.C.D.O.T. for the installation of temporary dark green traffic signal clusters. The original N.Y.C. Marbelite heads were removed and replaced by them. They do not scream 1960s New York City, but I respect the effort. These two stills below are from the opening of the movie. At 30th St. and 44th St. Queens, N.Y.

This is another still from the movie. The intersection is from the same neighborhood in Astoria. Just one block away from the other one above.

dcbjms

The stills from the film do not show up on my computer.  Unfortunately - it would be interesting to see the signage.

SidS1045

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on April 13, 2015, 02:06:39 AM
This is another still from the movie. The intersection is from the same neighborhood in Astoria. Just one block away from the other one above.

Is that a humpback street sign I see on the right-hand traffic-signal post?
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

M3019C LPS20

Yes. Some of them are visible in the movie and are likely reproductions.

empirestate

Of course, you can also get great vintage NYC views by watching old Sesame Street films. :-)

Any other period movies that have done an unusually faithful job of recreating a relatively recent era in a particular city?

mrsman

They seem to make other accommodations for the time period, based on the still:

No Pedestrain signals.

White line instead of double yellow to separate directions of traffic.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: mrsman on June 12, 2015, 02:56:39 PM
They seem to make other accommodations for the time period, based on the still:

No Pedestrain signals.

Not really. The first "DONT WALK" units appeared in NYC in February, 1952. By the 1960s, they existed at many street corners throughout the boroughs.

Interestingly enough, if you look at the third still I posted, there are two poles at the intersection. One located diagonally across from the other. They support pedestrian signals, and, at the time the film was in production, NYCDOT temporarily removed the 16" Winko-Matic VI 2L units at the corners. Even so, some could be spotted (quick glimpses) in some parts of the movie.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.