Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

DelDOT did this last weekend:

And this past week IDOT had this going:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jbnv

LaDOTD today: "THAT'S THE TEMPERATURE, NOT THE SPEED LIMIT"   :rolleyes:
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Big John

Not sure if this is real or photoshopped

MCRoads

how do you make those signs??
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

hotdogPi

Quote from: MCRoads on August 18, 2019, 03:13:17 PM
how do you make those signs??

Quote someone who made one of those signs, and change the message. Remember that all spaces need to be "%20".
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

MCRoads

What i wish DOTs would say:

I.E.

However, they don't, so... oh well.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Pink Jazz

Turns out the FDS Sylvia fiber optic signs were NOT the first DMS used by ADOT.  On Facebook there is a B&W photo from 1987 of a two-line row matrix flip-dot DMS on I-17 with this message:
CARPOOLS SAVE
GAS & MONEY

The FDS Sylvia signs I think first went up in 1993 and were installed until 2007 when ADOT switched to the Daktronics LED signs that were installed from 2007-2012.  Then ADOT went with Skyline full matrix LED signs from 2012-2017, and now ADOT went back to Daktronics with color LED signs since 2017.

inkyatari

Anyone remember what the message was on the Chicago area VMS's this morning? It was really stupid.

I only remember the first line..

"Aruba, Jamaica..."
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

jbnv

Quote from: inkyatari on August 26, 2019, 10:10:49 AM
Anyone remember what the message was on the Chicago area VMS's this morning? It was really stupid.

"Aruba, Jamaica..."

That's the start to the chorus of "Kokomo" by the Beach Boys.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

roadman

Quote from: jbnv on August 26, 2019, 10:26:36 AM

"Aruba, Jamaica..."

"Way down in Chi-cahh-goooooo"
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

inkyatari

"Aruba, Jamaica..."

I know.  It was just very stupid. Something about buckling your seatbelt, if I recall.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on August 26, 2019, 10:36:26 AM

"Aruba, Jamaica..."

I know.  It was just very stupid. Something about buckling your seatbelt, if I recall.

That's OK, IDiOT had a PSA about stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks on the freeway VMSs.  Name a freeway or tollway here with a pedestrian crosswalk.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on August 26, 2019, 01:24:33 PM

"Aruba, Jamaica..."

That's OK, IDiOT had a PSA about stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks on the freeway VMSs.  Name a freeway or tollway here with a pedestrian crosswalk.

I saw that same message on the VMS on I-80 near Ottawa, IL on Saturday.

ilpt4u

Quote from: inkyatari on August 26, 2019, 01:50:49 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 26, 2019, 01:24:33 PM

I saw that same message on the VMS on I-80 near Ottawa, IL on Saturday.
It was on the VMSs on I-64 in the STL Metro East as well over the weekend

inkyatari

"Aruba, Jamaica..."

Stupid

mrsman

Every distraction is harmful to driving.  The VMSes should only be used to tell me about an upcoming  traffic incident or how much time to an upcoming interchange.  Messages about drunk driving or seatbelts are simply unnecessary.

inkyatari

Quote from: mrsman on August 27, 2019, 12:03:38 PM
Every distraction is harmful to driving.  The VMSes should only be used to tell me about an upcoming  traffic incident or how much time to an upcoming interchange.  Messages about drunk driving or seatbelts are simply unnecessary.

Fully agree

jbnv

kphoger

Well, I was planning on driving drunk, but then I saw a VMS telling me not to.  So I decided against it.

Said no one, ever.

(mainly because no one knows what a VMS is)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

I read that in Michigan, MDOT gets notifications that a sign is "broken" from well-meaning drivers when there is no message.  So they always have some kind of message on them.  These aren't Pulitzer-winning authors coming up with the things to say.

roadfro

Quote from: GaryV on August 27, 2019, 05:20:08 PM
I read that in Michigan, MDOT gets notifications that a sign is "broken" from well-meaning drivers when there is no message.  So they always have some kind of message on them.  These aren't Pulitzer-winning authors coming up with the things to say.
I'm curious if Nevada DOT had a similar experience when they first installed VMSs. I remember for a while that many signs around Reno (and possibly Vegas also) that weren't actively displaying a message would instead light a single period in the lower right corner. Now they will leave a sign blank if there's no pertinent info, and only tend to flash up silly slogans during occasional safety campaigns. In Vegas, many VMSs display travel time when no pertinent message is needed (I-15 & US 95 don't have separate travel time signs currently.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

frankenroad

Quote from: roadfro on August 28, 2019, 01:09:17 AM
I'm curious if Nevada DOT had a similar experience when they first installed VMSs. I remember for a while that many signs around Reno (and possibly Vegas also) that weren't actively displaying a message would instead light a single period in the lower right corner. Now they will leave a sign blank if there's no pertinent info, and only tend to flash up silly slogans during occasional safety campaigns. In Vegas, many VMSs display travel time when no pertinent message is needed (I-15 & US 95 don't have separate travel time signs currently.)

I think the same thing happened in Ohio.  Now, they always say something, usually it's a travel time if there is no other message and they aren't in a safety campaign.   We seem to get a lot of Amber and Silver alerts on ours.   I wonder how effective they are - it's not like you're going to memorize the plate number - you might remember the vehicle description (yesterday, it was a "GREY JEEP" but I only remember that because of the less-common spelling of the color)

Also, when the signs were normally dark (with the one period), when they did have a message, people would slow down just because the sign was lit, even if the situation was several miles away.   Now, people seem to be able to read (or ignore) them without slowing down.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

KEVIN_224

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2019, 04:18:51 PM
Well, I was planning on driving drunk, but then I saw a VMS telling me not to.  So I decided against it.

Said no one, ever.

VMS = Vodka's My Savior?  :awesomeface:

wanderer2575

Nope.  Sometime there just aren't messages.  Looking at the DMS "layer" on the mi.gov/drive website will confirm that.

A lack of Pulitzer-winning authors is another topic I won't debate.

roadman

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 29, 2019, 06:25:59 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2019, 04:18:51 PM

Said no one, ever.

VMS = Vodka's My Savior?  :awesomeface:

We were discussing this at work the other day (no, not vodka, but message sign terminology).  Used to be VMS (variable message sign), then the term was changed to CMS (changeable message sign).  Then it was DMS (dynamic message sign) for a brief period, and it's now back to CMS again.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.