News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: MCRoads on March 19, 2020, 03:48:22 PM
We are under a blizzard warning as well as dealing with COVID-19, so CDOT probably has signs that say:

Most excellent.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

RobbieL2415

Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2020, 02:29:24 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 17, 2020, 11:33:27 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 17, 2020, 02:05:53 PM
New York's are saying:

STAY HOME
SAVE LIVES

Go back in time two weeks and try to imagine that.
Truly unbelievable.
Should really say

SOCIAL DISTANCING
SAVES LIVES

as merely being on the road, out of contact with other people doesn't spread the virus.

From the perspective of the average person, if you're on the road, you're coming from or going to a place that isn't home. And therefore, inevitably coming into contact with additional people than you would at home. I can think of a few exceptions to that, but not many. Us roadgeeks are the only ones that would go for a drive just for the joy of being on the road.
What about parks?

MCRoads

Quote from: 1 on March 19, 2020, 04:31:21 PM
Fictional:

I-70 near the Jonson/Eisenhower Tunnels needs this!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

webny99

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 19, 2020, 05:26:17 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2020, 02:29:24 PM
From the perspective of the average person, if you're on the road, you're coming from or going to a place that isn't home. And therefore, inevitably coming into contact with additional people than you would at home. I can think of a few exceptions to that, but not many. Us roadgeeks are the only ones that would go for a drive just for the joy of being on the road.
What about parks?

Those are sort of an exception... but if the ones with good walking trails get crowded, it's tough to maintain your 6 feet of "social distance".

7/8

Quote from: webny99 on March 17, 2020, 02:05:53 PM
New York's are saying:

STAY HOME
SAVE LIVES

Go back in time two weeks and try to imagine that.
Truly unbelievable.

Yesterday, the Gardiner westbound said something similar to TEMPORARY BORDER CLOSURE FOR ALL NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL. Also hard to believe not long ago! :-o

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on March 22, 2020, 09:21:36 AM
Yesterday, the Gardiner westbound said something similar to TEMPORARY BORDER CLOSURE FOR ALL NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL. Also hard to believe not long ago! :-o

Yeah, it is crazy how fast things have changed. Literally 2 weeks ago, on the 8th, I was with some friends from Canada.

SSR_317

Yeah, all of INDOT's message boards that don't have incident or construction messages on them now read:

STATEWIDE ORDER
     STAY AT HOME
ESSENTIAL TRIPS ONLY

It seems to be working on our Interstates here in Indy, but not having the desired effect on surface streets, where traffic is lighter but still busy.

Michael

A couple nights ago, I went to Syracuse.com and the very first picture was this:

Are hashtags allowed on road signs?  Are they in the same category as URLs?  I didn't even notice the missing space on the last line because I was so distracted by the hashtag.

Here's the article the picture was for.  For some reason, some Syracuse.com articles have a different photo on the main page than in the article.

wanderer2575

Quote from: 7/8 on March 22, 2020, 09:21:36 AM

Metro Detroit VMSs have been showing this message for at least a week now:

ENTRY RESTRICTIONS
      TO CANADA
ESSENTIAL TRAVEL ONLY

TravelingBethelite

Seen yesterday on I-45:

STOP COVID-19
SAFE DISTANCES
SAVE LIVES

NO CLOSE
ENCOUNTERS
OF ANY KIND
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 05, 2020, 03:17:44 PM
Seen yesterday on I-45:

STOP COVID-19
SAFE DISTANCES
SAVE LIVES

NO CLOSE
ENCOUNTERS
OF ANY KIND

So no aliens?...not even the kind that give hugs after play a giant game of Simon with them?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Michael on March 28, 2020, 03:19:20 PM
A couple nights ago, I went to Syracuse.com and the very first picture was this:

Are hashtags allowed on road signs?  Are they in the same category as URLs?  I didn't even notice the missing space on the last line because I was so distracted by the hashtag.

Here's the article the picture was for.  For some reason, some Syracuse.com articles have a different photo on the main page than in the article.

NJ has used COVID19.NJ.GOV on most of their VMSs for the past few weeks

Max Rockatansky

Today in CA 41:

Stay Home
Safe Lives
COVID

It almost read like the start of a commercial advertisement for Coronavirus.   

jbnv

DOTD gave us this helpful nugget last week:

"BE SAFE. DON'T TRAVEL IN GROUPS."

On a well-known human trafficking corridor, no less. Louisiana is run by idiots.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

kphoger

Quote from: jbnv on April 30, 2020, 06:26:01 PM

That's right.  Much better to spread out.   :pan:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jbnv

Quote from: kphoger on April 30, 2020, 08:06:52 PM
Quote from: jbnv on April 30, 2020, 06:26:01 PM

That's right.  Much better to spread out.   :pan:

Who cares if it makes it easier for human traffickers and rapists to pick you off?  :pan:
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jeffandnicole

Richard3

In Nova Scotia,...

Screen 1: COVID-19 IS DEADLY
Screen 2: STOP SPREAD
Screen 3: STAY HOME
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

RobbieL2415

ConnDOT this week:

HELP OUR HEROS

PLEASE DON'T SPEED

Im sure those words will strike a chord in the hearts of man.

KEVIN_224

I saw that when next to I-95 on Tuesday. Easily visible while on a Shoreline East commuter train, heading west from New London towards New Haven. Perhaps in the Clinton/Madison stretch? :hmmm:

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: MCRoads on March 20, 2020, 03:24:30 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 19, 2020, 04:31:21 PM
Fictional:

I-70 near the Jonson/Eisenhower Tunnels needs this!
they have the Truckers Don't Be Fooled signs

Eth

Seen today on eastbound US 29/78 approaching the beginning of the Stone Mountain Freeway:

kphoger

Quote from: Eth on May 23, 2020, 02:06:52 PM
Seen today on eastbound US 29/78 approaching the beginning of the Stone Mountain Freeway:

Go ahead, DOT.  My mother is sick of the hype too.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ben114

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 10, 2020, 11:34:16 PM
ConnDOT this week:

HELP OUR HEROS

PLEASE DON'T SPEED

Im sure those words will strike a chord in the hearts of man.

Reminds me of the "Practice vehicle distancing, observe speed limit" in MA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.