News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signalized Intersection Missing Some Signal Faces

Started by JMAN_WiS&S, August 18, 2015, 11:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMAN_WiS&S

This intersection: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8045179,-91.4919291,3a,75y,321.69h,73.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4mhQ1AGulUvfYgeo15ej1g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Was Eau Claire Wisconsin's first monotube vertical signal installation. The Hastings way project was the second. I call this intersection a mess because it is missing signals in a few different places. NW Bound Farwell St Traffic doesn't have a far left signal, it should be a (R)(Y)(G)(<G). I'm not sure why the left turn signal here is not a 4 stack FYA. It also doesn't have a far right mounted signal which should be a standard RYG signal. Now this intersection does have near right stop bar signals, but some directions do have far right and left signals, so they should have kept it consistent. SW Bound Washington St traffic has two far right signals?  :confused: (RYG) to the left of a 5 stack right turn signal, doesn't have a far left signal, and if installed today, i'm sure the straight/left turn lane would get a FYA doghouse. SE Bound Farwell St traffic has a Protected only RYG Left turn arrow signal for whatever reason, i'm not sure why it didn't just get a 4 stack FYA. Also note how there is no far left signal, leaving the mast left turn signal, the only signal for the left turn movement.  :banghead: NE Bound Washington St traffic seems to be the only direction they got right.

Note this is not the only questionable intersection in the downtown area. The intersections of Madison St & Bellinger St as well as Madison St & Oxford Ave have far right signals that are 5 stack signals for LEFT TURNS. Normally the only 5 stack far right signals I ever see are for right turns, unless there is no mast signal, which there are in both of these intersections.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

traffic light guy

Pretty sure that missing signal heads are a MUTCD violation

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.