News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 24, 2023, 09:40:43 PM
Quote from: TempoNick on August 24, 2023, 09:37:10 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on August 24, 2023, 01:37:57 AM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/kwECCnjsrvmKbV9Q8?g_st=ic

Columbus is now a cardinal direction.

I saw that a few months ago. That's a very half-ass way to do things.
Not the only time in recent years where OhioDOT half-assed a BGS display. They also didn't bother with an OH 10 shield in the Opportunity Corridor exit BGS from I-77, and just added it on top of it. I would get why if it was on top of an old BGS, but this whole thing is a new installment.

Canton says, "Hold My Beer"...:
https://goo.gl/maps/d7wk4XFTnoX5Bcrw9

Been that way for 20+ years.

74/171FAN

^ https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219177986721015&set=a.10219178075083224

Heading NB as of last month, you get the OH 241 TRUCK Detour Shield as a bonus.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mr_Northside

Not the only time in recent years where OhioDOT half-assed a BGS display. They also didn't bother with an OH 10 shield in the Opportunity Corridor exit BGS from I-77, and just added it on top of it. I would get why if it was on top of an old BGS, but this whole thing is a new installment.

I have to believe there are occasionally people driving past/under that sign wondering why the "Toledo Opportunity Corridor" is in Cleveland.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

The Ghostbuster

Maybe the next time the signs are replaced, an OH 10 East/Cleveland Opportunity Corridor sign will be erected (as well as an OH 10 West shield alongside the Interstate 77 North shield). Also, does anyone really confuse Cleveland with Toledo? Everyone should know that the Opportunity Corridor is in Cleveland.

PurdueBill

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 25, 2023, 07:58:54 PM
Maybe the next time the signs are replaced, an OH 10 East/Cleveland Opportunity Corridor sign will be erected (as well as an OH 10 West shield alongside the Interstate 77 North shield). Also, does anyone really confuse Cleveland with Toledo? Everyone should know that the Opportunity Corridor is in Cleveland.

The stupidest part is that they installed a new BGS for the exit carbon-copied off the old one, with "E 55th St" greened over sloppily (visible in the 2021 street view but not before, as it was new) and then that whole sign was replaced with the current one.  The immediately previous one had 490 in what looks like C. 

Henry

Quote from: thenetwork on August 25, 2023, 09:00:17 AM

I'd say the US 23 sign with Columbus displayed as a cardinal direction instead of a control city is the most half-assed one ever.

As for the Opportunity Corridor sign, I think that it will eventually be modified to say I-490 WEST/OH 10 EAST, with the I-77 pullthrough getting OH 10 WEST added onto it as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TempoNick

Quote from: Henry on August 25, 2023, 10:45:24 PM

I'd say the US 23 sign with Columbus displayed as a cardinal direction instead of a control city is the most half-assed one ever.

As for the Opportunity Corridor sign, I think that it will eventually be modified to say I-490 WEST/OH 10 EAST, with the I-77 pullthrough getting OH 10 WEST added onto it as well.

No excuse for having such a half-assed sign on a major highway like I-75 and right after you just finished bragging about how much work you did on that highway.

thenetwork

Quote from: Henry on August 25, 2023, 10:45:24 PM

Highly unlikely, as several of the overhead signs on the downtown exits -- especially on the Innerbelt (Chester Ave/US-322), Superior Av/US-6,...) do not show the state/US route shield(s) on them. 

Not even supplemental signs guiding drivers to routes not directly accessible (Euclid Ave/US-20) from the freeways are posted.  And arguably, Euclid is the main drag for Cleveland Clinic/University Circle traffic.

Bitmapped

SR 687 ends at I-77 but previously extended further east into downtown Canton. At the time those BGS were replaced, ODOT was considering turning the rest of SR 687 over to Stark County but that never happened. The supplemental shield was there from Day 1 for those signs, so I guess the thought was they could just remove it when the change happened.

On the flip side, along US 30/US 62 west of Canton, SR 627 was added onto Richville Drive in the late 1980s. A separate shield was mounted above the existing BGS. It took about 15 years until there was a full BGS replacement that had a spot for the route shield.

paulthemapguy

I'm really happy I got this old picture of an Ohio 844 shield when I did, in 2018.  I clinched Ohio 844 last weekend, and every single 844 shield has been replaced by these unusual new ones.  Is this a new thing Greene County has been doing?  Are the new shield more geographically correct?  Even so, I prefer consistency with the other state highway markers in Ohio.

Old photo from 2018:

OH-844X1EJ by Paul Across America, on Flickr

New 844 marker, all of whom look like this:

IMG_0558 by Paul Across America, on Flickr

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

vtk

i think that's either a stretched 2dOH marker and/or a guide sign style marker. it's been a while since i looked closely at the specs for the differences, but the outline is specified independently 4 times, for wide vs square and for guide sign vs independent mount. i suppose it's not surprising that sign shops get it wrong so much.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

The Ghostbuster

No Google Maps car has penetrated the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base off the end of OH 844. Both times (December 2015 and August 2021), the Google Car has had to turn around before the checkpoint. I assume that is the norm for air force and other military bases.

plain

I say you assumed correctly. I've been on numerous military bases, both for work and with relatives that served, and I didn't want to take pictures on them either. Not a good look doing so in my eyes.
Newark born, Richmond bred

paulthemapguy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 29, 2023, 07:46:33 PM
No Google Maps car has penetrated the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base off the end of OH 844. Both times (December 2015 and August 2021), the Google Car has had to turn around before the checkpoint. I assume that is the norm for air force and other military bases.

I used the same turnaround used by the Google Maps car.  I wouldn't go any farther into territory where I'm not wanted, nor would I expect a clinch of the highway to require anyone to penetrate into the base.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

74/171FAN

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 01, 2023, 04:59:28 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 29, 2023, 07:46:33 PM

I used the same turnaround used by the Google Maps car.  I wouldn't go any farther into territory where I'm not wanted, nor would I expect a clinch of the highway to require anyone to penetrate into the base.

When clinching OH 844, I used the right-turn onto Ogden Ave and then went back to OH 444 SB at the intersection farther north.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

TempoNick

This is cute. When Ohio 126 crosses into Indiana, it becomes Indiana 252.
(2 * 126 = 252)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/thKY4BGw2d5FtSd17

sbeaver44

Does anyone have any good sources or writeups you can recommend about the history of Corridor D in Ohio (or both OH/WV?) I find it interesting that Corridor D doesn't generally follow US 50 in Ohio, but it is US 50 in WV.

SkyPesos

Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 04, 2023, 04:44:28 PM
Does anyone have any good sources or writeups you can recommend about the history of Corridor D in Ohio (or both OH/WV?) I find it interesting that Corridor D doesn't generally follow US 50 in Ohio, but it is US 50 in WV.
I'm not sure what the rationale on routing Corridor D on OH 32 instead of US 50 west of Athens is, but what is now OH 32 used to be a mess of various state route numbers that got unified under the OH 32 number.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 04, 2023, 05:56:53 PM
I'm not sure what the rationale on routing Corridor D on OH 32 instead of US 50 west of Athens is, but what is now OH 32 used to be a mess of various state route numbers that got unified under the OH 32 number.

Well, Oh 32 was Oh 74 prior to the interstates...
But yeah, Corridor D was Oh 32, Oh 124, Oh 346, then US 50 for a short time in the 1980s, then ODOT dropped OH 346 and made it Oh 32 from Cincy to Albany (with an overlap with Oh 124 in the middle).
I think overlap of Oh 32 & US 50 came about around the turn of the millennium, after US 50 was finished being widened between Athens and Belpre.
----
Yeah, I realize that doesn't answer sbeaver's question as to why US 50 was avoided, between Cincy & Athens, but I don't know. I've never reasearched that question.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

QuoteWell, Oh 32 was Oh 74 prior to the interstates...

I noticed that around Cincy when clinching OH 32 in June 2022.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10217384049953717&set=a.10217384102075020)

GCrites

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 04, 2023, 08:36:34 PM

But yeah, Corridor D was Oh 32, Oh 124, Oh 346, then US 50 for a short time in the 1980s, then ODOT dropped OH 346 and made it Oh 32 from Cincy to Albany (with an overlap with Oh 124 in the middle).
I think overlap of Oh 32 & US 50 came about around the turn of the millennium, after US 50 was finished being widened between Athens and Belpre.
----
Yeah, I realize that doesn't answer sbeaver's question as to why US 50 was avoided, between Cincy & Athens, but I don't know. I've never reasearched that question.

Probably since 32 guaranteed 4 lanes all the way.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

ODOT could have 4 lane US 50 if they wanted to. Most of Corridor D 'OH 32' was new right-of-way versus the original road.
ODOT could have avoided all the little towns along US 50, between Cincy & Chillicothe if they wanted to.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Bitmapped

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 04, 2023, 08:36:34 PM

----

The SR 32 alignment is within about 3 miles of what a US 50-based alignment would be, so distance is about a toss-up. I've not seen anything definitive, but my reasoned guess would be a couple items were in play:
- The SR 32 alignment better matches up with the planned Corridor B section that would have followed SR 73 heading northwest out of Portsmouth. Extending Corridor B up to Hillsboro would have added a lot of mileage.
- The Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant is just off SR 32. This was an important site in producing enriched uranium for the military and commercial nuclear power programs.
- The state had already started widening SR 32 (out to Batavia) by the time the ADHS came along, so they could reuse some existing mileage.
- By virtue of its location and some spot upgrades, US 50 was already a pretty decent through route aside from having to go through towns. Building on that corridor wouldn't significantly improve access. Building on the SR 32 corridor, on the other hand, significantly improved access to that area.

TempoNick

"Corridor D" sounds like an evacuation route in the event of a natural disaster.

The Ghostbuster

Is there any chance the OH 32 corridor could get more interchanges and grade-separations (if they are needed)?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.