News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-90 rebuilding and widening

Started by bahnburner, September 08, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

You want to put tolls on I-90 through the city?  Okay.  Good luck getting toll booth infrastructure on the bajillions of ramps downtown.   :)

No one in their right mind is staying on 90 through Chicago anyway, when 294 is over there.  So if you want to toll people who are going from points southeast to points northwest, it's already happening.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

dzlsabe

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 20, 2016, 11:46:34 PM
You want to put tolls on I-90 through the city?  Okay.  Good luck getting toll booth infrastructure on the bajillions of ramps downtown.   :)

No one in their right mind is staying on 90 through Chicago anyway, when 294 is over there.  So if you want to toll people who are going from points southeast to points northwest, it's already happening.

NO. Something a bit more deviant "mapguy"...No more 90/94... http://distancescalculator.com/calculate?from=IKEA+Schaumburg%2C+Schaumburg%2C+IL%2C+United+States&to=Gary%2C+IN%2C+United+States

Rerename I-290 from Schaumburg to Strangler I-90. And toll some, maybe all lanes. EOE and new I-490 are already headed that way. Why stop? Then build the 16-mile "missing link" between the Strangler and Skyway..http://imgur.com/E6RD2Co

That "frees" the freeways. Remember this is all on a ten to twenty year time frame.

"No one in their right mind is staying on 90 through Chicago anyway, when 294 is over there.  So if you want to toll people who are going from points southeast to points northwest, it's already happening."

I agree somewhat. But there is a bunch of interstate "cheating" going on as well and I contend that that is clogging the freeways mentioned previously. The option of the straightest, fastest, shortest way through town?? Chicago and Cook is worthy of TWO complete TOLLWAYS. Now right minds may stay on I-90. Would this cannibalize traffic from south 294? Maybe? Initially? But it looks like growth patterns for the next decades may favor SW suburbs regardless, so this should not be a problem. A huge boost to the southside and NW IN would not be a bad thing either.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

johndoe780

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 20, 2016, 11:46:34 PM

IDOT already has in their plan 4 laning the kennedy to Harlem from Cumberland, and the plan of widening the eisenhower should wrap up later this summer. That and the cumberland flyover should help the kennedy and the eisenhower, but obviously it's still going to be congested no matter what.

There's really not much you can do to alleviate all of that traffic congestion that goes downtown besides advocating for public transportation. Downtown is where the jobs are. People gotta get there somehow.

quickshade

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on June 16, 2016, 08:31:55 PM
Quote from: quickshade on June 16, 2016, 09:24:37 AM
http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/89286747-7bf8-4f19-b377-1eff052d8356

Looks like the smart road installation will begin next week. The whole system should be finished with general construction this fall, and after testing it should come online in early 2017.

only to  Barrington Road? and not all the way to Randal?

I believe the system is built into the roadway for future expansion if needed, but I need to double check on that. I do know that the entire roadway is wired with sensors and cameras to detect traffic amounts and deploy police/roadway safety crews if something pops up anywhere on the road. I do know that when they took into account traffic counts and accident data when they planned this so I'm thinking that might have something to do with it.

dzlsabe

Quote from: Stratuscaster on June 11, 2016, 10:03:39 PM
Quote from: dzlsabe on June 11, 2016, 01:53:29 PM
Quote from: ET21 on October 25, 2015, 06:01:52 PM
I-90 is gonna be so nice from O'Hare to the state line

And I-90 is gonna continue to SUCK from O'hare to the other state line. Maybe a building? Another bridge? A geometric shift.
Or, you know, take the Tri-State instead.

OR, you know, MAYBE its time to imagine a future with TWO complete tollways traversing Cook and Chicago, instead of one and a half or three quarters?
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

tribar

Quote from: dzlsabe on June 27, 2016, 09:10:28 PM

And I-90 is gonna continue to SUCK from O'hare to the other state line. Maybe a building? Another bridge? A geometric shift.

OR, you know, MAYBE its time to imagine a future with TWO complete tollways traversing Cook and Chicago, instead of one and a half or three quarters?

We've got to bypass all of your useless roads, right?

Revive 755

How about a future where the hypotenuse stays in the fictional section instead of straying into unrelated threads?

tribar

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 27, 2016, 09:32:14 PM

How about a future where the hypotenuse stays in the fictional section instead of straying into unrelated threads?

Or a future in which they ban this assclown?

ET21

Gotta get that hyp mention in every Chicagoland thread  :pan: :pan: :pan:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dzlsabe

Not every. The relevant ones. Hey, the maps dont lie.

Before, and present day and the foreseeable future. :rofl:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8337329,-87.7319639,11z

http://distancescalculator.com/calculate?from=IKEA+Schaumburg%2C+Schaumburg%2C+IL%2C+United+States&to=Gary%2C+IN%2C+United+States

After? some decade or two away. "Show where your going, without forgetting where your from"?? We wont soon forget what is faced daily.

http://imgur.com/E6RD2Co  :cheers:

If the engineers think we are $2T behind in infrastructure spending, a good part of 10% ($200B) needs to be spent around here in the coming decades. This wouldnt hurt a bit.

And this is a "ROADS" forum? Not a hockey fanboi one that we are perpetually reminded of with your usual inanity.

ILRoad55

I have a good feeling he just copies and pastes this in any thread. It's an awful idea, it will just make the interchange at I-88, 290, 294 even more hell than it already is. Cutting right through neighborhoods.

Let's get back on topic, enough of this hypo shit

GeekJedi

Quote from: dzlsabe on June 29, 2016, 10:36:46 PM
And this is a "ROADS" forum? Not a hockey fanboi one that we are perpetually reminded of with your usual inanity.

And this is a "ROADS" forum? Not a hypotenuse fanboi one that we are perpetually reminded of with your usual inanity.

Fixed that for you.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

paulthemapguy

To what extent has the {edit: DESPLAINES} Oasis been gutted to provide the groundwork for the I-490 interchange?  How is that coming along?

kkt

Brandon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 30, 2016, 11:41:44 AM
To what extent has the O'Hare Oasis been gutted to provide the groundwork for the I-490 interchange?  How is that coming along?

The O'Hare Oasis is fully intact.  It's the Des Plaines Oasis that's been removed for both the O'Hare Western Bypass interchange and the Northwest Tollway widening.  That oasis is down to the two gas stations (one per side) only.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Brandon on June 30, 2016, 02:28:35 PM
To what extent has the O'Hare Oasis been gutted to provide the groundwork for the I-490 interchange?  How is that coming along?

The O'Hare Oasis is fully intact.  It's the Des Plaines Oasis that's been removed for both the O'Hare Western Bypass interchange and the Northwest Tollway widening.  That oasis is down to the two gas stations (one per side) only.
Derp.  Sorry I meant the Des Plaines Oasis (edited previous post).  Those gas stations are being removed soon too, right?  I'm jw how much will be done for that interchange as part of the current construction

ET21

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 30, 2016, 10:51:27 PM

Derp.  Sorry I meant the Des Plaines Oasis (edited previous post).  Those gas stations are being removed soon too, right?  I'm jw how much will be done for that interchange as part of the current construction

The DP oasis deconstruction and the Elmhurst road DD interchange were part of the long term for the EOWA. Have a feeling those gas stations will stay until they begin the I-490/90 interchange.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-39

Quote from: ET21 on July 01, 2016, 10:57:29 AM

The DP oasis deconstruction and the Elmhurst road DD interchange were part of the long term for the EOWA. Have a feeling those gas stations will stay until they begin the I-490/90 interchange.

I'm surprised they aren't going ahead and removing the gas stations now. If you're going to demolish the Oasis, might as well do the whole thing at once.

Heck, I'm surprised they aren't building the West Bypass (I-490) first, then the IL-390 extension. Conventional wisdom would suggest building I-490 first so the IL-390 extension isn't a "road to nowhere". Plus, if they did that, then they'd HAVE to tear down the Des Plaines Oasis gas stations.

quickshade

Just drove this yesterday, progress being made but I sat for 30 minutes trying to get onto WB I90 from 53 north.......I always knew it was bad and sat in the backup a few times before, but even with the improved merge zone the backup is still horrible. I also noticed the ramp from I90 east to 290 after the toll booth is merged over to the left shoulder, wondering if they are going to add another lane so that it's a 2 lane merge into 290, that would greatly reduce traffic jams.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: quickshade on July 01, 2016, 03:49:01 PM
Just drove this yesterday, progress being made but I sat for 30 minutes trying to get onto WB I90 from 53 north.......I always knew it was bad and sat in the backup a few times before, but even with the improved merge zone the backup is still horrible. I also noticed the ramp from I90 east to 290 after the toll booth is merged over to the left shoulder, wondering if they are going to add another lane so that it's a 2 lane merge into 290, that would greatly reduce traffic jams.

can use an aux lane over golf

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on July 01, 2016, 02:53:51 PM
Quote from: ET21 on July 01, 2016, 10:57:29 AM

I'm surprised they aren't going ahead and removing the gas stations now. If you're going to demolish the Oasis, might as well do the whole thing at once.

Heck, I'm surprised they aren't building the West Bypass (I-490) first, then the IL-390 extension. Conventional wisdom would suggest building I-490 first so the IL-390 extension isn't a "road to nowhere". Plus, if they did that, then they'd HAVE to tear down the Des Plaines Oasis gas stations.

That area has a lot of trucks and the part to IL-83 can help. Right now the ramps from I-90 to I-294 do what the West bypass will due now it needs to have the same price for full ride as the Devon Ave and Irving Park Rd ones.

dzlsabe

Quote from: kkt on June 30, 2016, 12:17:16 PM
Quote from: dzlsabe on June 29, 2016, 10:36:46 PM
http://distancescalculator.com/calculate?from=IKEA+Schaumburg%2C+Schaumburg%2C+IL%2C+United+States&to=Gary%2C+IN%2C+United+States

Wow, that's practically moving at the limit.  Around here it often takes an hour to drive I-5 from milepost 163 to milepost 168.

Id bet the hour and 9 minutes happens well after sunset till just before dawn.

"It's an awful idea, it will just make the interchange at I-88, 290, 294 even more hell than it already is. Cutting right through neighborhoods."

NO, actually a flyover or two over the Tri-state, jumping the Strangler to a new "connector". No more four roads (++?) into one, now four into two. The Strangler is going to continue to worsen regardless until "something" is done to make it better.

Minimal "cutting right through neighborhoods". Two miles through (and adjacent to) mostly abandoned Englewood, and another two adjacent to neighborhoods from Berwyn to Westchester. The other twelve are over rail ROW or industrial. Numerous details here....      https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16790.0

Gotta do something as this West I-90 tollway topic is finished, devolving into oasis, gas station, light bulbs, landscaping and road signs. And yes, "I-90 is gonna be so nice from O'Hare to the (WI) state line."  The IN state line?? :rofl:

ChiMilNet

It seems by now that generally all the traffic has been moved off the old pavement lanes and that most of the old pavement has mostly been torn up by now. However, there are some places I'm having a hard time seeing this all get done by end of the year, not to try to be pessimistic. For example, the Barrington Road Interchange seems to have a ways to go. Despite the fact that the new bridge itself is finished, the ramps seem nowhere near finished, and Barrington Road itself has a long ways to go to be ready for its final configuration. I can give other examples, but I am wondering if anyone has insight as to whether any parts of the construction might be delayed into next year other than the WB onramp from Roselle/Central Rd.?

quickshade

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 02, 2016, 11:48:24 PM
It seems by now that generally all the traffic has been moved off the old pavement lanes and that most of the old pavement has mostly been torn up by now. However, there are some places I'm having a hard time seeing this all get done by end of the year, not to try to be pessimistic. For example, the Barrington Road Interchange seems to have a ways to go. Despite the fact that the new bridge itself is finished, the ramps seem nowhere near finished, and Barrington Road itself has a long ways to go to be ready for its final configuration. I can give other examples, but I am wondering if anyone has insight as to whether any parts of the construction might be delayed into next year other than the WB onramp from Roselle/Central Rd.?

Mainline 90 will be finished by the end of the year, some minor shoulder work and landscaping may be done in the spring depending on weather and other factors. The inside lanes will be much faster than the outside lines because it's mostly ripping up the old road, putting down the new base and paving it. Unlike last year where they were adding lanes and redoing infrastructure to make room for 90. I recall seeing a spec sheet from the tollway that Barrington road exit was not going to be finished until summer 2017 but in looking at the live images a lot of the work is moving along pretty fast. In driving it last week it seems a lot of sections are getting the sub base leveled and blacktop laid for the concrete to be poured. I'll see if I can find the spec sheet on the Barrington road info.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: quickshade on July 03, 2016, 01:09:41 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 02, 2016, 11:48:24 PM

Mainline 90 will be finished by the end of the year, some minor shoulder work and landscaping may be done in the spring depending on weather and other factors. The inside lanes will be much faster than the outside lines because it's mostly ripping up the old road, putting down the new base and paving it. Unlike last year where they were adding lanes and redoing infrastructure to make room for 90. I recall seeing a spec sheet from the tollway that Barrington road exit was not going to be finished until summer 2017 but in looking at the live images a lot of the work is moving along pretty fast. In driving it last week it seems a lot of sections are getting the sub base leveled and blacktop laid for the concrete to be poured. I'll see if I can find the spec sheet on the Barrington road info.

Thanks for the info. I would love see that spec sheet if you could find it. It would make sense that Barrington Road Interchange may take until 2017, just based on the progress I am seeing there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.