AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alexandria/Arlington local roads  (Read 14188 times)

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 10:16:59 AM
Re: Alexandria/Arlington local roads
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2018, 06:26:54 PM »

This isnít really road-related, but I figured people who read this thread might like the photo. Our relatives from Fort Myers visited us this week and yesterday we went to Mount Vernon and the George Washington Masonic National Memorial. I had been to the latter once more than 30 years ago but didnít remember much. This is the view of Old Town from the top (you can also see the Wilson Bridge, National Harbor, and the MGM). Itís well worth the $15 for the tour.

You can actually go inside of the Masonic National Memorial?

I did not know this. I will have to check it out.

They could use better publicity. I think a lot of people think itís closed to the public, like the Mormon Temple, and Iím sure the common misuse of ďMasonic TempleĒ (its not a temple) probably plays into the misconception.

We found it interesting. Lots of stuff about George Washington and his Masonic activity, which you donít hear about at Mount Vernon. Lots of artifacts from his life, too. Of course the view from the top is the main thing. The elevator is of some interest. Note the shape of the memorial. The elevators (there are two) run up inclined shafts instead of straight up and down. There are only 20 such elevators in the USA.

I think itís worth going if you havenít been there before, especially if you know the area well. If your goal is to view DC, Iíd say to go to the Old Post Office Tower (freeóenter through the back of the Trump Hotel next to Starbucks from 12 Street) or the Episcopalian National Cathedral on Wisconsin Avenue (take the elevator to the 7th floor observation level). But to view Virginia, especially Alexandria, itís hard to beat the Masonic Memorial. As I said, I hadnít been there in well over 30 years, and none if the people I was with (including my wife) had ever been there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
óOlaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"óKolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

• Old fat fucks ruin everything.

• Last Login: Today at 10:03:14 AM
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2018, 07:47:07 AM »

I've always found it regrettable how much dead space there is so close the Metro and VRE/Amtrak stations. I realie the hill is hard to build on, but there's still alot of room along
Oh, I think all that green space is far better than more high-rises or new-construction townhouses.

Great shot, 1995hoo.

abefroman329

• Old fat fucks ruin everything.

• Last Login: Today at 10:03:14 AM
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2018, 07:49:24 AM »

The elevators (there are two) run up inclined shafts instead of straight up and down. There are only 20 such elevators in the USA.
Iím pretty sure another one of those elevators is at the Huntington Metro.

AlexandriaVA

• Last Login: Today at 09:52:23 AM
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2018, 10:02:11 AM »

The deck of the S. Clark Street bridge in Crystal City is gone. It's gone and it ain't coming back, part of a Crystal City renovation effort by Arlington County. Speculation is Amazon HQ2 will wind up in this neighborhood.

please reedit with permanent, publicly accessible images (ending in .jpg or other format)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:05:56 AM by Alps »

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 09:37:34 AM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2018, 04:20:52 PM »

^ Since the mod asked...

Photo from the Arlington County Department of Environmental Services.  More photos of the demolition process are in their Flickr album.

AlexandriaVA

• Last Login: Today at 09:52:23 AM
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2018, 10:02:42 AM »

According to a community newsletter, Alexandria is going to impose no-right-on-red on southbound S. 28th street, leading onto King St westbound (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8400656,-77.1056504,3a,75y,241.75h,86.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgSHs9td4XUVfIS00roZnHA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656), as well Park Center Dr, leading to King St eastbound (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8370299,-77.1027965,3a,75y,55.18h,87.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2kJx83iddvSkmz7UkfNdWA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656). As you can see from the GSV, both of these intersections had the vague "No right on red when pedestrians are present" rule.

This is part of a larger citywide effort (Vision Zero) to improve road and crosswalk safety. I have a personal connection to the 28th Street intersection, as I was hit in the crosswalk by a right-turn-on-red back in 2015.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.