More symbolic signs, less word only.

Started by NJ, November 25, 2015, 11:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ

Why hasn't MUTCD adopted more internationally recognized symbolic signs as Canada, Europe and most other countries in the world? We have too many word only signs that could easily be replaced with symbolic ones'. Sure, we use more and more symbolic signs but still not enough.

Brandon

Quote from: NJ on November 25, 2015, 11:41:11 AM
Why hasn't MUTCD adopted more internationally recognized symbolic signs as Canada, Europe and most other countries in the world? We have too many word only signs that could easily be replaced with symbolic ones'. Sure, we use more and more symbolic signs but still not enough.

Some of them, IMHO, are not as intuitive.  The tunnel ones I've seen are usually a mess.  We do have a lot more symbol shapes that Europe lacks, such as the No Passing Zone pennant and the school zone sign (shared with Canada).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NJ

Quote from: Brandon on November 25, 2015, 12:04:50 PM

Some of them, IMHO, are not as intuitive.  The tunnel ones I've seen are usually a mess.  We do have a lot more symbol shapes that Europe lacks, such as the No Passing Zone pennant and the school zone sign (shared with Canada).

Canada including many other countries uses this symbol for "No passing" ->

School signs in Europe (other countries use their native local language though) ->

Pink Jazz

I know in the case of logo signs, the use of symbols for each service type would make the signs larger, especially if multiple service types are represented on a single sign.

Plus, I wonder what would a symbol for Attractions look like.  The MUTCD doesn't have an official Attractions symbol for general service signs, so I wonder what could be used if logo signs were to switch to symbols.

english si

Quote from: Brandon on November 25, 2015, 12:04:50 PMSome of them, IMHO, are not as intuitive.
I totally agree that some Vienna Convention signs are unintuitive. The parking restriction ones, for example, the lack of red stripes on prohibitions, the use of mandatory blue circles for 'bicycles only', etc that reads as 'bicycles must use' etc, or 'pass obstacle on either side' that reads as 'go both ways' (they ought to be blue rectangles). But all that is fixable - use the current Vienna-inspired US sign for no-Parking, put (as the US does) red lines through prohibitions, use blue circles more like how the UK does (with the occasional slip up), rather than certain other European countries (which have lots of 'you must' when they don't mean that).
QuoteThe tunnel ones I've seen are usually a mess.
Really? What is wrong with them?

And if you are saying 'unintuitive' for these, then I don't see how a picture of a tunnel portal is less intuitive than the word 'tunnel'. All the non-US countries who used the MUTCD as inspiration, rather than the Vienna convention, for their own sign manuals use a Vienna-inspired tunnel symbol instead of the word.
QuoteWe do have a lot more symbol shapes that Europe lacks, such as the No Passing Zone pennant
How is that a symbol?
Quoteand the school zone sign (shared with Canada).
The school zone symbol is the Vienna Convention 'children' one.

Oh, I see, you mean sign shapes. I can, just about understand a sign shape for schools (though why aren't other places busy with vulnerable pedestrians as important?), but does 'No Passing' really require a special sign shape? I'd argue (and Europe is just as flawed here) that No Entry is much more worthy of it's own distinctive shape, alongside STOP and Yield. With the rail-road crossing X, that's 3 more shapes - hardly 'a lot more' and there's no real reason for those three things to have a unique sign shape other than "there's no reason why not".

NJ

"NO TURN ON RED"
"BRIDGE"
"LEFT/RIGHT LANE MUST TURN LEFT/RIGHT"
"DIP"
"HUMP/BUMP"
"BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE ROAD SURFACE/ICY"
"FALLING ROCKS"
"ROAD NORROWS"
"RIGHT/LEFT LANE ENDS"
"TUNNEL"
^ Could be replaced with internationally recognized symbolic signs as used in other countries.

We also should get rid of word only "No parking" or "parking signs" with P around a circle, much nicer and better!

I'm fan of Canada's road signs.

roadfro

The MUTCD has actually been moving more toward symbolization. The 2009 version introduced several new symbols, in part based on symbols used around the country and in Canada (and possibly Mexico). Also, in some cases word sign variants were removed (stop/yield ahead)...at one time these were the norm.

The reason why the MUTCD isn't rapidly expanding symbols is that the requirements with symbols require study before being included. Any new symbols are supposed to be approved by FHWA for experimentation prior to being implemented, then study is required after implementation. Compare with word signs, where MUTCD provisions allow jurisdictions to create appropriate word message signs whenever no standard sign exists for the purpose.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

NJ

Quote from: roadfro on November 25, 2015, 03:13:15 PM

The reason why the MUTCD isn't rapidly expanding symbols is that the requirements with symbols require study before being included. Any new symbols are supposed to be approved by FHWA for experimentation prior to being implemented, then study is required after implementation. Compare with word signs, where MUTCD provisions allow jurisdictions to create appropriate word message signs whenever no standard sign exists for the purpose.

If Canada and other countries already uses internationally recognized symbol, there shouldn't be any reason why America shouldn't with or without the study. Tunnel, Bridge, Bump, Hump, Dip are examples that should be symbolic for sure.

DaBigE

Quote from: NJ on November 25, 2015, 03:24:03 PM

If Canada and other countries already uses internationally recognized symbol, there shouldn't be any reason why America shouldn't with or without the study. Tunnel, Bridge, Bump, Hump, Dip are examples that should be symbolic for sure.

You forget that everyone is not a world traveler. Just because other countries use it doesn't necessarily mean all drivers will understand it here. Hell, I work with road signs on a regular basis, and there's many international ones that I have to look up the meaning of myself.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

NJ

Quote from: DaBigE on November 25, 2015, 03:55:12 PM

You forget that everyone is not a world traveler. Just because other countries use it doesn't necessarily mean all drivers will understand it here. Hell, I work with road signs on a regular basis, and there's many international ones that I have to look up the meaning of myself.

I'm pretty sure most people would understand these symbols (Keep in mind that not everybody understands English either in America), therefore symbolic signs when possible makes more sense regardless of native language;

jakeroot

The MUTCD has actually been moving more toward symbolization. The 2009 version introduced several new symbols, in part based

I wish someone could explain to me why "narrow bridge" was removed. I still see it all the time, but I know it ain't in the manual:

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2015, 04:44:46 PM
The MUTCD has actually been moving more toward symbolization. The 2009 version introduced several new symbols, in part based

I wish someone could explain to me why "narrow bridge" was removed. I still see it all the time, but I know it ain't in the manual:

Probably too subtle for most drivers to understand. Those familiar with maps can figure it out (since the brackets are typically used to denote a bridge or overpass), but not the average schmoe. It only gets worse as GPS and Google Maps continue to replace paper maps. Kind of like why Do Not Enter and Yield signs still have words on them.

I have seen a couple locations use that symbol sign as a generic road narrows alternative.

myosh_tino

Hmm....

... Train Tunnel ahead?

... No Parallel Parking?

... Windy in Florida (or California) or Palms Farting ahead?

... Potholes ahead?

... Road Deteriorates ahead?

... Falling Rock (this is used in California - Calif Sign Code W50-1)

... Draw Bridge (although putting "DRAW BRIDGE" on the sign is simpler)

... Low Tunnel ahead?

Quote from: NJ on November 25, 2015, 04:09:21 PM
I'm pretty sure most people would understand these symbols (Keep in mind that not everybody understands English either in America), therefore symbolic signs when possible makes more sense regardless of native language;

True but the vast majority (>99%) do and I think some knowledge of English is needed to function in our society and to obtain a drivers license.  IMO, using a symbol to replace a single English word (TUNNEL, WINDY, DIP, BUMP, etc)  is not worth the trouble of going through the process illustrated by Roadfro to bring in symbols that many Americans may not understand.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

DaBigE

Quote from: DaBigE on November 25, 2015, 03:55:12 PM

It's been a while since I've seen results from a sign comprehension test, but from what I recall from some older ones, you would be surprised at the results. The motoring public is not as smart as you think they are. While not directly related to this thread topic...the number which don't know the difference between Stop and Yield is mind boggling.

myosh_tino

Quote from: DaBigE on November 25, 2015, 05:00:58 PM
While not directly related to this thread topic...the number which don't know the difference between Stop and Yield is mind boggling.

Not really.  I see a ton of people treating stop signs as if they were yield signs.  :rolleyes:
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Big John

^^ As I have said before:  Never underestimate the stupidity of the average driver.

jakeroot

The countries below in red will understand our road signs. Those in grey probably won't. Remember that the tourism industry, like pretty much every other country in the world, is a massive part of our GDP. Now yes, more people speak English than ever before in history, but there's no telling how well they can speak English (in other words, can they decipher an incoming sign quickly?). I speak Spanish moderately well, but it still takes me a minute to comprehend what it is that I'm reading.

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 25, 2015, 04:57:38 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Colombia_SP-42.svg/64px-Colombia_SP-42.svg.png ... Falling Rock (this is used in California - Calif Sign Code W50-1)

By your logic, that's an exploding mountain. In the context of driving, people can comprehend these signs moderately well. Worst case scenario, they learn these new symbols in drivers ed, and the symbols are introduced with an accompanying plaque. If I remember correctly, the "stop ahead" symbol sign was introduced with a text "stop ahead" below the sign itself, to help "slow" drivers figure out what that sign meant.

Quote from: Big John on November 25, 2015, 05:10:15 PM
^^ As I have said before:  Never underestimate the stupidity of the average driver.

Never over-estimate the number of people who can read English at-speed. Err, that was out of context. My bad.

Quote from: DaBigE on November 25, 2015, 04:53:23 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2015, 04:44:46 PM

Probably too subtle for most drivers to understand. Those familiar with maps can figure it out (since the brackets are typically used to denote a bridge or overpass), but not the average schmoe. It only gets worse as GPS and Google Maps continue to replace paper maps. Kind of like why Do Not Enter and Yield signs still have words on them.

I have seen a couple locations use that symbol sign as a generic road narrows alternative.

They could have just added a supplementary plaque? No reason to do away with the entire symbol. The chance of us learning the symbol was good. People would have eventually learned to associate the symbol with the narrow-ness of the road.

I don't necessarily think the symbol should have been relegated to bridges though, so I'm pleased to see the symbol being used for other purposes. It's a good "road narrows" alternative, even if it was meant for bridges.

NJ

Supplementary plaques can be used, and many of those are common sense that a person with a normal brain and vision could figure out what they stand for. Let's not pretend to be retarded now.

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 25, 2015, 04:57:38 PM
Hmm....

... Train Tunnel ahead?

... No Parallel Parking?

... Windy in Florida (or California) or Palms Farting ahead?

... Potholes ahead?

... Road Deteriorates ahead?

... Falling Rock (this is used in California - Calif Sign Code W50-1)

... Draw Bridge (although putting "DRAW BRIDGE" on the sign is simpler)

... Low Tunnel ahead?

True but the vast majority (>99%) do and I think some knowledge of English is needed to function in our society and to obtain a drivers license.  IMO, using a symbol to replace a single English word (TUNNEL, WINDY, DIP, BUMP, etc)  is not worth the trouble of going through the process illustrated by Roadfro to bring in symbols that many Americans may not understand.

roadfro

Why is a tunnel warning even necessary?

This almost made it into the 2009 MUTCD (with optional educational plaque), but there was some concern that it wasn't readily understood. It is not immediately evident that the left car is passing the other. It might make sense in the context of a two-lane road, but there are other instances where "do not pass" is used.

Not sure that this would make sense in places that don't have palm trees...

This is not immediately evident that it means "dips".

I've seen this pavement ends symbol before. I'm not sure if it was ever in the MUTCD...if it was, it was removed.

A similar "Falling Rock" design was introduced in the 2009 MUTCD.

I would support this sign's inclusion in the manual. This is pretty clear.

This one could work.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Pete from Boston

The palm tree is way too specific to a few areas of the country.  What if I am unfamiliar with this variety of tree?

The Québec grimacing cloud blowing squiggly arrows all over the road is the only "wind" sign I will ever accept.

I agree that "dip" picture would only be clear with prior knowledge, much like would be the case with an English word to a non-speaker.  Less so with "bump," but still not all that clear.

I understood "narrow bridge" (I always just considered it "narrow road") before I could read.  I don't know what is unclear about this indicating a road that narrows.

jakeroot

I just threw this together in Illustrator...thoughts?

myosh_tino

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
I just threw this together in Illustrator...thoughts?

Heh, not bad although it looks like the car's front axle has fallen away. :)

SignGeek101

I think I've posted this before, but I'll post it again:

Standard Canadian No Right Turn on Red Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

NJ

I like Canadian 'No left turn on red' sign... Wish USA adopted the same

Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 25, 2015, 09:03:59 PM
I think I've posted this before, but I'll post it again:

Standard Canadian No Right Turn on Red Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 25, 2015, 08:50:23 PM
Heh, not bad although it looks like the car's front axle has fallen away. :)

Perhaps a little extreme. :-D

Here's something for wind. Shows a wind sock, common in other country's 'wind ahead' signs:

Quote from: roadfro on November 25, 2015, 06:56:37 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Brasil_A-44.svg/64px-Brasil_A-44.svg.png ... Not sure that this would make sense in places that don't have palm trees...

The point is to at least show a tall object bending over from a visibile strong wind. Tree or otherwise, the point gets across.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.