Gay pedestrian signals in Linz, Austria scrapped

Started by Pink Jazz, December 07, 2015, 04:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-35028590

In the United States this would be a clear MUTCD violation and would never fly.  This is just to push the gay agenda onto the public while compromising pedestrian safety.

SignGeek101

It's kind of a weird way of promoting gay rights if you ask me.

Pink Jazz

At least they didn't make one of the two signals pink.  That would be totally stereotypical.

Pete from Boston

Can we please be smart enough to know inflammatory phrases like "This is just to push the gay agenda" are so polarizing that they are guaranteed to create a shitstorm of stupid argument?

jakeroot

Quote from: Pink Jazz on December 07, 2015, 04:22:14 PM
...while compromising pedestrian safety.

It's still red man, green man. I see no reason to believe pedestrian safety is compromised.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 07, 2015, 05:22:20 PM
Can we please be smart enough to know inflammatory phrases...are so polarizing that they are guaranteed to create a shitstorm of stupid argument?

He should probably re-word his OP so it's not so outwardly expressing an opinion. I mean, he can say what he wants, and he's entitled to have an opinion, but this thread will very quickly get de-railed because people will focus more on his opinion on the "subject matter" than the homosexual pedestrian signals.

english si

Clearly the signals, while "pushing the gay agenda" is really not the right way to phrase it, are pushing a political agenda.

I find it highly amusing that they introduced them in Vienna for the Eurovision Song Contest, and their aim is to normalise homosexual love (by treating it as something different to heterosexual love, which doesn't have traffic signals celebrate it, therefore failing at that aim): Eurovision is renowned for having a massive gay following, so quite why the fans of the camp-fest need to be re-educated beats me.

The signals are just a big bit of virtue-signalling of the sort that only exists either to cover up a lack of actual virtue in this area, or to appease a fascist thought police that demands active obedience. Neither is very attractive or welcoming.

And, as a single person, I feel victimised on behalf of all single people that these cities took down pictures of single people to replace them with PDAs between happy couples, rubbing it in that they have someone and are happy/suggesting that the single life isn't valid*! If I lived in Austria, every time I wanted to cross the street would be a microaggression. ;)

*delete as applicable

renegade

Don't forget this thread was started by a guy wearing pink ...  :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: renegade on December 07, 2015, 09:15:07 PM

Gay men are actually less likely to wear pink than straight men, except on TV as a request from the producers to gain viewers by promoting gay stereotypes.  Many gay men actually find the stereotype that they wear pink all the time to be offensive.

Duke87

Are they actually actively removing them and scrapping them? Or are they merely switching their specs so that new signals will use a more standard design?

If they're doing the former, that's a ridiculous waste of money. If they're doing the latter... meh. They do their job either way.

EDIT: they appear to have done the former, based on this article (in German). Ridiculous waste of money it is then.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

english si

Quote from: Duke87 on December 07, 2015, 11:13:31 PMRidiculous waste of money it is then.
You mean the one where they threw out all the perfectly fine old signals to make a political point that didn't need to be made? ;)

Alps

Quote from: Pink Jazz on December 07, 2015, 09:20:39 PM
Quote from: renegade on December 07, 2015, 09:15:07 PM

Gay men are actually less likely to wear pink than straight men, except on TV as a request from the producers to gain viewers by promoting gay stereotypes.  Many gay men actually find the stereotype that they wear pink all the time to be offensive.
So you would know?
The simplest theory is the right one. Conspiracies, not so much. This - is a conspiracy theory.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.