News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

"Keep min 2 dots apart" signs?

Started by noelbotevera, January 09, 2016, 05:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

On US 322 between PA 45 and PA 144, there are three sections of road where dots appear. Signs that say "Keep min 2 dots apart" are posted on the three sections.

Here's an example of one of the signs.

Have these been used anywhere else, or is it a PA exclusive? Also, do these dots have a name?

I think this must have been a high accident area of US 322 (we saw skid marks along one of the dotted sections), and PennDOT must have experimented with these a couple years ago (the paint is fairly new, and the signs are Clearview - the GSV shows 2012).

The strange thing is that the dots have no warning of them ending. Basically they just suddenly disappear, and the next sign that tries to warn you about following distance is this, this, and this, at the next dotted section.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

slorydn1

Those dots probably represent 1 second of travel time at the posted speed limit for that road, so 2 dots would equal the 2 second gap we are supposed to leave between us and the vehicle in front of us.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jemacedo9

Those yellow signs are in several places across PA...but the white dots I've only seen in two other places in PA:  PA 147 between where the freeway ends and Northumberland, and I THINK on I-80 in the East Stroudsburg area.  If they're not on I-80 now, I feel like they were there maybe 10 years ago?

I've never seen the dots in any of my travels outside of PA.

slorydn1

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 09, 2016, 05:26:56 PM
Those yellow signs are in several places across PA...but the white dots I've only seen in two other places in PA:  PA 147 between where the freeway ends and Northumberland, and I THINK on I-80 in the East Stroudsburg area.  If they're not on I-80 now, I feel like they were there maybe 10 years ago?

I've never seen the dots in any of my travels outside of PA.

I've never seen anything like that myself, I am just guessing at this point (though it would make sense). I haven't been to PA myself since 1987 if memory serves.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jeffandnicole

There's no ending sign because you're never supposed to tailgate. In theory, it has helped you determine how far apart you should always be behind the car in front of you.  There's no end point in when you're allowed to tailgate again.

noelbotevera

The problem comes when people do tailgate. You have conga lines of four or more cars abutting each other, and they're less than half a dot away. That's equivalent to about half a second or so away (the speed limit for this stretch here is 55 mph).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Zeffy

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 09, 2016, 06:26:42 PM
The problem comes when people do tailgate. You have conga lines of four or more cars abutting each other, and they're less than half a dot away. That's equivalent to about half a second or so away (the speed limit for this stretch here is 55 mph).

I like to remain fairly distant from the vehicle ahead of me. Anyone who tailgates me generally finds that if they don't back off I'll drive slower just to piss them off.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Kacie Jane

They're not there anymore, but at one point (I'm guessing about 10 years ago, but I'm pulling that number out of my you know where), I-5 north of Olympia had them.

1995hoo

I seem to recall some conceptually-similar signs on the eastbound M4 somewhere east of Bristol (England) with a scheme that used chevrons instead of dots.

Edited to add a picture I found, though I don't know which motorway this is:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

74/171FAN

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 09, 2016, 05:23:11 PM
Those dots probably represent 1 second of travel time at the posted speed limit for that road, so 2 dots would equal the 2 second gap we are supposed to leave between us and the vehicle in front of us.

Information on this is on page 5-91 in PENNDOT Publication 638(District Highway Safety Guidance Manual).

The major information is placed below, I have not seen or heard of anything like this to this point but it seems to be a possible way of implementing low-cost safety improvements on two or three-lane roads.

QuoteMarkings are spaced such that safe distance is kept between vehicles when a minimum of two markings separates them. Safe distance is defined based on a 2 second following rule.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

I've seen them on PA 322 in the State College area and on I-80. I guess the combination of pavement markings and regulatory signs can give police cause to pull over drivers who follow too closely.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2016, 09:41:58 PM
I've seen them on PA 322 in the State College area and on I-80. I guess the combination of pavement markings and regulatory signs can give police cause to pull over drivers who follow too closely.

I need not explain what's wrong with this sentence.

As for the topic at hand, the ones on I-80 I've known for a long time. I loved them as a kid, because they were so unusual to me at least.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cu2010

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 09, 2016, 07:51:28 PM
I seem to recall some conceptually-similar signs on the eastbound M4 somewhere east of Bristol (England) with a scheme that used chevrons instead of dots.

Ontario used to have them on the 401 at one point, though they are no longer in use.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

jakeroot

This should probably go in traffic control.

Can't remember which motorway (hell, it could have been an A-road), but the UK's implementation was my first experience with "keep apart" signs. I'm glad to see them making their way over here. However, British motorists are quite a lot more disciplined than we are, so I'm uncertain as to how effective these dots will end up being, this side of the pond.

Bitmapped

There used to be a set on former US 220 around Port Matilda, PA but I think they were gone last time I was through. After the traffic moved to I-99, I suspect PennDOT decided they weren't worth maintaining anymore.

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on January 10, 2016, 04:17:56 AM
This should probably go in traffic control.

Can't remember which motorway (hell, it could have been an A-road), but the UK's implementation was my first experience with "keep apart" signs. I'm glad to see them making their way over here. However, British motorists are quite a lot more disciplined than we are, so I'm uncertain as to how effective these dots will end up being, this side of the pond.

Funny thing is, I seem to remember that when I took driver's ed they advocated a two-second following distance under 40 mph and a four-second distance over 40 mph. I've tried counting off what a four-second distance would be and it's HUGE. It'd be pretty much impossible to maintain that distance on most urban or suburban highways I travel because people would cut into the gap. Even a two-second distance is probably farther than most people perceive when they think about what distance is safe, although that's no excuse for following too closely. (Out on rural non-Interstates it doesn't much matter either way due to lack of traffic.)

Semi-related to this topic: When I read car reviews that mention adaptive cruise control where the car adjusts the following distance to keep a safe space, I've often wondered if such systems can be essentially counterproductive on highways with relatively high traffic volumes and aggressive drivers because even with a two-second distance, somebody's going to cut into that gap, and I assume that means the adaptive cruise will back off the speed to re-create a two-second gap, which in turn is an invitation for another driver to cut in, etc....eventually the car backs it off so far that you're not getting anywhere. Or am I missing something? (Aside from the sensible driver not using the system in that kind of traffic, of course.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: cu2010 on January 10, 2016, 04:10:22 AM

Ontario used to have them on the 401 at one point, though they are no longer in use.

I don`t have a picture of the signs, but here are some of the remaindered chevrons on the 401 through Whitby.

http://asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_409_east_May05_lg.jpg
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/Hwy401_p11_images.htm

The 400 also had some through King Township in York Region:
http://www.thekingshighway.ca/PHOTOS-4/hwy400-311_xlg.jpg
http://www.thekingshighway.ca/PHOTOS-4/hwy400-313_xlg.jpg
http://www.thekingshighway.ca/PHOTOS/Hwy400photos5.htm
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Kniwt

It was tried in 2006 in Washington state and very quickly abandoned.
http://thenewspaper.com/rlc/news.asp?ID=1289

QuoteDuring heavy Saturday traffic, however, motorists maintained the 160-foot distance as required by the posted signs, even though such distances were unnecessary at the crawling pace. This further reduced the freeway's capacity causing a chain-reaction slow-down.

"The idea was not to impede traffic, but to increase safety," state Traffic Engineer Ted Trepanier said in a statement provided to The Olympian newspaper. "We apologize for delays drivers faced as a result of this program."

jeffandnicole

It's actually about a second at that point. 

The way it works is there's two dots.  Trying to explain it here, it works like this:

Car  Dot                     Dot  Car

As you see, there's a wide space between those two dots.  If a car was 1/2 second away, it'll look like this:

Car  Dot  Car               Dot   Car

But if a car was one second away, it'll look more like this:

Car  Dot        Car         Dot  Car

Another thing to do is count 'One Mississippi Two Mississippi' wth a fixed object or marking, such as a sign or line in the road.  You should be able to say One Mississippi with ease.  Obviously, it's better to say One Mississippi Two Mississippi, but honestly in the real world in heavy traffic that rarely happens.

Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2016, 09:41:58 PM

What's the specific law on tailgating or following too closely?  While your safety publications generally will say 2 or 3 seconds, many states don't actually have that written into law.

Quote from: Zeffy on January 09, 2016, 07:36:00 PM

I like to remain fairly distant from the vehicle ahead of me. Anyone who tailgates me generally finds that if they don't back off I'll drive slower just to piss them off.

That's a form of aggressive driving.  No, not them.  You.  And you're not just pissing that next person off, but everyone behind them.  In the end, it aggravates everyone, and it doesn't solve anything.

Alps

Whenever I see the dots, I intentionally get closer to the car in front of me. Just like when I see "Buckle up! Next million miles!" I immediately unbuckle my safety belt. Screw you nanny signs.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 09, 2016, 05:16:49 PM
Also, do these dots have a name?

I don't know about an "official" name, but I recall when these showed up in PA, reading the name "Bott's Dots" (I think 2 "t"'s in Bott)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jakeroot

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 10, 2016, 02:49:43 PM

I don't know about an "official" name, but I recall when these showed up in PA, reading the name "Bott's Dots" (I think 2 "t"'s in Bott)

Bott's Dots are the physical dots separating lanes, seen mainly in non-snowy climates (although versions exist that are protected from snowplows)...

Quote from: Alps on January 10, 2016, 02:21:47 PM
Whenever I see the dots, I intentionally get closer to the car in front of me. Just like when I see "Buckle up! Next million miles!" I immediately unbuckle my safety belt. Screw you nanny signs.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on January 10, 2016, 02:53:50 PM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 10, 2016, 02:49:43 PM

Bott's Dots are the physical dots separating lanes, seen mainly in non-snowy climates (although versions exist that are protected from snowplows)...

Quote from: Alps on January 10, 2016, 02:21:47 PM

The plowable version are simply called 'plowable reflectors'.

PHLBOS

Stretches of Route 41 between US 1 & 30 in Chester & Lancaster Counties have these as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 10, 2016, 05:32:06 PM
Stretches of Route 41 between US 1 & 30 in Chester & Lancaster Counties have these as well.

Including just west of PA 796 in Chesco, which is burned in my brain having negotiated that stretch numerous times on my way to my stepbrother's or to Reading.

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.