News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Downtown Boston's last through trusses slated for demolition

Started by Pete from Boston, January 28, 2016, 12:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Lots of hubub here as Boston's package of promises to lure GE includes some version of dealing with the closed Northern Avenue Bridge, possibly returning a vehicular link to the rapidly-developing spot for the first time in twenty years.

Countless columnists and politicians are now weighing in for and against outright demolition, a feeding frenzy for media starved for six months without an Olympic debate to waste ink on.

Congressman Steven Lynch doesn't want it rehabilitated.

The Walsh administration appears committed to demolition.

Or is it?

Either way, the city has been criticized for its lack of clear direction or public input regarding the bridge.

#    #    #    #

Meanwhile, plans are still on the table to demolish the North Washington St. Bridge across the mouth of the Charles.

This bridge, to be replaced by a structure more evocative of the adjacent Zakim Bridge, features the last extant part of the northern run of the elevated Orange Line subway, which ran through the truss over the road until 1975.

Alps

I disagree with the title of this post. Washington St. coming off MA 99 is very much a through truss serving downtown Boston.

NE2

Quote from: Alps on January 28, 2016, 11:47:59 PM
I disagree with the title of this post. Washington St. coming off MA 99 is very much a through truss serving downtown Boston.
You mean the second bridge pictured above?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on January 28, 2016, 11:59:17 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 28, 2016, 11:47:59 PM
You mean the second bridge pictured above?

I should have phrased my post better (or chosen a different image) to indicate the second pic is of the proposed replacement. 

This is the same view of the current North Washington St. bridge:

And the proposed replacement again for easy comparison:

Alps

Thanks. I just assumed the new bridge pictured, was a replacement for the old bridge pictured, and didn't realize they were two different bridges.

Pete from Boston

City of Boston outlines demolition without any public discussion of rebuilding plan:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/02/17/city-boston-reveals-demolition-plan-for-northern-avenue-bridge/Wb8FsZm7UQvY0rJUXFggxO/story.html

It's starting to feel like Mayor Walsh is aiming to emulate the "demolish first, ignore questions later" approach of Mr. Daley from Chicago.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 17, 2016, 11:27:25 AM
City of Boston outlines demolition without any public discussion of rebuilding plan:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/02/17/city-boston-reveals-demolition-plan-for-northern-avenue-bridge/Wb8FsZm7UQvY0rJUXFggxO/story.html

It's starting to feel like Mayor Walsh is aiming to emulate the "demolish first, ignore questions later" approach of Mr. Daley from Chicago.
Or previous Boston mayors.  Look at what happened to the Sullivan Square overpass and the Long Island bridge.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on February 17, 2016, 12:36:57 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 17, 2016, 11:27:25 AM

Or previous Boston mayors.  Look at what happened to the Sullivan Square overpass and the Long Island bridge.

Long Island was Marty Walsh's doing.  I thought I remembered the Sullivan Square Overpass being a Swift administration decision, but that is a vague recollection.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 17, 2016, 12:54:03 PM
Long Island was Marty Walsh's doing.  I thought I remembered the Sullivan Square Overpass being a Swift administration decision, but that is a vague recollection.

While Marty Walsh made the decision to close and demolish the Long Island bridge, long-standing plans to rebuild the structure were stalled by previous administrations.

And IIRC, Sullivan Square overpass/underpass were always City of Boston property, not the state's.  The only involvement the state ever had in that whole sorry mess was asking the City to defer repairs until completion of the CANA portion of the Big Dig project.  When the overpass was deemed too unsafe to handle traffic, the City decided to completely demolish the structure, piers and all, with no plans to put in a replacement structure (under the guise of making the area more 'pedestrian friendly' - which IMO hasn't exactly worked out so well with the present configuration).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.