News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Counties?

Started by BigMattFromTexas, October 03, 2009, 11:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: deanej on June 04, 2012, 11:33:10 AM
Why does it seem like everyone's map is formatted slightly differently?
You can customize your map as you wish.  Its a good way of sorting - by year, by trip, by who you went with/alone, etc. 

on that topic - I present my US counties:

Canada's not too impressive, all are in NW Ontario
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DBrim

Still need to put together Canada.  Here's my U.S. coverage.  Next counties are probably going to be an effort to put a big dent in either Ohio or Virginia over labor day weekend.

hbelkins

I'm in the early planning stages of a short trip in July to clinch North Carolina and pick up a few strays in South Carolina. I've tried to do this two Martin Luther King Day weekends in a row but wasn't able to. Doing it in July instead of January will give me a lot more daylight to work with.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ftballfan

I obtained four new counties over Memorial Day weekend (Bay, Saginaw, Genesee, and Shiawassee counties in Michigan). I was going to visit a friend from college in Flushing (Genesee County) and got there early, so I decided to go get Shiawassee County (to avoid a donut hole, where one has not been to one county but has been to every county surrounding it; Lenawee County is an example of a donut hole county for me). If I go visit friends in Flushing again this summer, I may take a side trip to get Gladwin County and possibly Ogemaw and Arenac counties (and get closer to clinching I-75 and M-55).

Alps

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on June 03, 2012, 05:32:03 PM
Here's mine:
How the heck do you have two counties in western Mississippi?

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: Steve on June 05, 2012, 11:58:21 PM
How the heck do you have two counties in western Mississippi?
I have an aunt in Brandon, and we flew to get to get to Jackson.

Alps

I'm surprised Mississippi has an airport :-D

bassoon1986

this is cool to see where you guys have traveled. You can see the rough outline of an interstate across the country. I saved the pic of my mob rule counties but what's the best way to upload it here?

bassoon1986

Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on October 03, 2009, 11:08:12 PM
What counties have yall been to? Compared to some people I haven't been to very many :-/
List

[Edited thread title for spelling. -S.]

So it looks like you skipped a Texas county to reach Louisiana!  I'm assuming you flew to Shreveport and then went south?

agentsteel53

Quote from: bassoon1986 on June 06, 2012, 08:58:29 PM
this is cool to see where you guys have traveled. You can see the rough outline of an interstate across the country. I saved the pic of my mob rule counties but what's the best way to upload it here?

you can take it directly off the site.

http://www.mob-rule.com/counties/user-gifs/agentsteel53.gif

replace my username with yours.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

QuoteI'm surprised Mississippi has an airport

Saved my sanity for 3 years.  Occasionally cheaper than flying in/out of New Orleans too.

Regarding my own map, I really need to get out West sometime.

formulanone

Finally nice to put a map to some of the user ids here.

The air travel helps with the heavy lifting, living in the cul-de-sac of the continental United States:

Company pays for the travel and most associated expenses, but that means much of the clinching is done one piece at a time. Otherwise, I'm a lightweight compared to most of you!

froggie

On the subject, the Washington Post wrote an article a couple weeks ago on Reid Williamson and his county collecting.  Regulars on mob-rule.com may recognize his name as one long being at/near the top of the list.

bassoon1986

well here's mine. It's pretty obvious to see some of the specific places I've been. I need to venture north and west!

hbelkins

Next in my sights to clinch: North Carolina

\

I only lack two counties to clinch New York, but they are Suffolk and Nassau on Long Island and I don't imagine I will get a chance to visit them unless someone hosts another LI meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: froggie on June 07, 2012, 11:12:28 AM
On the subject, the Washington Post wrote an article a couple weeks ago on Reid Williamson and his county collecting.  Regulars on mob-rule.com may recognize his name as one long being at/near the top of the list.

According to the mob-rule scorecard, Oscar Voss (regular here and MTR) is one of two so far to visit each county (parish) in the country. Reid is missing a county in Alaska to be complete.  BTW, Rich Carlson and Dave Schul (MTR alumnus) are 16th & 17th on the list as well.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadman65

Quote from: bassoon1986 on June 07, 2012, 10:05:20 PM

well here's mine. It's pretty obvious to see some of the specific places I've been. I need to venture north and west!
I can see from FL to GA you went on US 19, then to US 82, GA 520, US 280, and finally the US 78 (future I-22) to Memphis. 
There is no corridor through Georgia  with one number that takes them counties.  Also, in Alabama, SE and NW from Birmingham has different routes with US 78 curving from E-W to NW to SE and you going from either NW-SE or SE to NW.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mjb2002

Out of 3,086 counties nationwide, I have only been to 25 of them. I got an extremely long way to go.

I have a very strict definition of stopped. When I mean stopped, I mean spent at least one night there.

The counties I have been to are as follows (CSRA counties bolded):

In Georgia:

Columbia County
Richmond County

In North Carolina:

Mecklenburg County

In South Carolina:

Aiken County
Allendale County
Bamberg County
Barnwell County

Beaufort County
Berkeley County
Charleston County
Chester County
Clarendon County
Dorchester County
Edgefield County
Fairfield County
Greenville County
Hampton County
Laurens County
Lexington County
Newberry County
Orangeburg County
Richland County
Saluda County
Sumter County
York County

Truvelo

Considering I don't live in the country I don't think I've done too badly.

Speed limits limit life

elsmere241

As time has changed, so have the patterns for various reasons.  Light green is the most recent, while lavender reflects the longest of the family trips as a child.  (Some of that has been overridden by later trips, driving out to college, etc.)

bugo

736 counties.  I don't go out of my way to collect counties, so my number is much lower than it would be if I were a county counter.  I've gone out of my way to pick up a county once or twice in my life.  The reason I set up an account is so that I can see where I've been on a map. 

bassoon1986

Quote from: roadman65 on June 09, 2012, 03:00:02 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on June 07, 2012, 10:05:20 PM

I can see from FL to GA you went on US 19, then to US 82, GA 520, US 280, and finally the US 78 (future I-22) to Memphis. 
There is no corridor through Georgia  with one number that takes them counties.  Also, in Alabama, SE and NW from Birmingham has different routes with US 78 curving from E-W to NW to SE and you going from either NW-SE or SE to NW.

Yeah that was a trip from Shreveport to Disney World and on the way back we went to visit family in Columbus GA then Memphis. That was in 2000 and I remember we couldn't get on the US 78 freeway until we were past Jasper. IIRC we tried too early to leave 78 to find an exit for the interstate and found a future exit that wasn't completed yet

Truvelo

Quote from: bugo on June 09, 2012, 06:47:45 PM
736 counties.  I don't go out of my way to collect counties, so my number is much lower than it would be if I were a county counter.  I've gone out of my way to pick up a county once or twice in my life.

I'm a state counter which is why many of my journeys take place around the border of several states. In particular the area to the northeast of Denver where I deliberately tried to cover as many states as possible. I was just one county short of reaching South Dakota which is disappointing but I would have missed my flight otherwise.
Speed limits limit life

the49erfan15

Finally got finished with mine.

I started college in 2005 and before then, I'd only been to SC, NC, TN, VA, and WV. I've logged 36 states and a ton more counties in the 6 years since then, multiple trips from Alaska to SC, a drive from SC to Los Angeles, traveling for college basketball, and a few other scattered road trips will do that!

Haven't clinched my home state of SC, missing a few rural counties on the SC/GA border. The only state I've clinched is Delaware.  :-D
Driven: AK-1, AK-2, AK-3, 5, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 29, 39, 40, 57, 59, 64, 65, 69, 70, 71, 73, 74, 75, 77, 81, 85, 90, 94, 95
Clinched: 16, 85

bugo

I count states as well.  I'm up to a whopping 28, but to my defense I haven't been to any of the small northeastern states.  I believe Indiana or Mississippi might be the smallest state I've ever been to.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.